StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
13,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

There is a chance I might need to run out to Vancouver this summer. If I were to go, it would likely be by jet, but the thought of taking the Strom appeals to me. It has been about 30 years since I last drove out west in a car.

I have never done long distance riding.. 550 or so km in one day of a weekend is the most I have done. What is a realistic expectation for distance in a day? How much time should I plan on taking if I was going to go by bike?

Thanks,.

Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not too sure but if this helps I'm planning to take the first two weeks of Sept to visit friends in Kelowna. I'm budgeting about 5 to 7 days to get there. I figure 500 to 600kms per day. Or something like that.

Patt

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
My wife and I rode out to Victoria on the Strom last summer.

Most amazing trip of my life.

We allocated 10 days to ride out. My wife is not a mileage queen and I didn't want it to be too much for her to endure. I real experience that I'd do again for sure.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't know if you are a morning person or not Tom but if you can be ready to go by 6am and ride for a tank, grab a quick breakfast at your first fill up and ride again for a tank you've put on about 700km by 1pm. If you go another tank, find yourself a motel you're at 5:30pm. Grab yourself a good sit down meal and your 1000km day is done.

A few of those and you are out to Vancouver in no time. I found that I can tolerate a 1000km day without too much discomfort on the Strom. I did a 1300km day on the Bandit from Barrie to Thunder Bay and that was a bit of torture though it wasn't as comfortable as the Strom is.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
I'll tell you all about it.

Tom, you have absolutely hit the bullseye!

In 1965, I rode a 305 cc motorcycle 444 miles in one day. Until 2006, that was my longest one-day ride.

I planned to attend my son's wedding in June 2006, so I bought a V-Strom 650. I planned to take eight days for the trip from Toronto to Vancouver. I made it in six; that's 4 nights in a tent and one in a motel so I would be almost clean when I arrived.

It was terrific. I set out at noon on Sunday from Yonge and Steeles. I had no idea whether my old bones would tolerate 400 miles in the saddle, but when I saw the sign saying "Welcome to Illinois", I knew, brother, I knew. I saw the sun set in Richmond BC on Friday.

Look, this typing is a big hassle. I'll just pop up there and tell you all about it.

Keith

·
Administrator
13,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you all recommend going through the USA? I think it is faster but the area north of Sault St Marie to Thunder Bay was so beautiful when I did head out there that I would hate to miss it. I remember it took a long time to get out of Ontario and the last part of Ontario to Manitoba seemed to be mind numbing.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
If you think Northern Ontario to Winnipeg is mind numbing, wait 'til you hit the Dakotas if you run through the States,:) Oh is that painful! I've done it both sides of the border (caged), and all I can say is ride one out and the other back! They both have their highs and lows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts