StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time is running out before my first big trip to Sydney - and I still haven't got any luggage. This trip will be a steady 3 week jaunt from Gladstone to Sydney and back. The main purpose is to take part in the 'Wall to Wall' ride from Sydney to Canberra for Police Remembrance Day [17 Sept] with some mates.

I have my tent, sleeping bag, mattress, cooking gear etc all organised, but nothing to put them in except a cheapo top box I got on flea bay for next to nothing.

what advice do you have. My budget is limited according to the Minister.

Cheers

Reyno.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
With any type of bags or pannier you will need a frame,I have a 60 litre Carribee duffle that I have used on long trips,waterproof :mrgreen:,it holds a heap,I put the sleeping bag loose on top of everything in the duffle which fills it out nicely to ocky onto the back seat,$60 about at outdoor joints,load it upside down and zipper to the rear--it's waterproof :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Big sports bag lengthwise along the seat, use it as a back rest, passable aero.

Windinhair has it about right.

Next step up is the sports bag sideways and the Rjays hanging down the sides. No backrest, 5-10% more fuel burn ;)

If you need a standoff to stop the Rjays swinging into the wheel, just buy some 1" PVC tube, hit it with a heat gun to bend it and flatten the ends and run it between the pillion pegs and the bolt that holds the rear plastics together that side.

Pete

·
Registered
4,334 Posts

Next step up is the sports bag sideways and the Rjays hanging down the sides. No backrest, 5-10% more fuel burn ;)

If you need a standoff to stop the Rjays swinging into the wheel, just buy some 1" PVC tube, hit it with a heat gun to bend it and flatten the ends and run it between the pillion pegs and the bolt that holds the rear plastics together that side.

Pete
Brilliant idea Pete :thumbup:

The orange stuff electricians run cable through is as tough as it comes.

And I'm going to try Don's idea on the back of the KLR, along with my tank bag I reckon I could do a few days camped in the bush with enough stuff to survive.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Brilliant idea Pete :thumbup:

The orange stuff electricians run cable through is as tough as it comes.

And I'm going to try Don's idea on the back of the KLR, along with my tank bag I reckon I could do a few days camped in the bush with enough stuff to survive.
Bear Grylls,in the bush Ock--What you stand in and the leatherman,every thing else is there--somewhere.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the RJays and conduit method, easy to also carry a spare bracket around as well I guess.

My budget would be around $500 max. The elcheapo top box will stay which will carry a kings ransom. so the Rjays will probably do just fine with the Coles bags as suggested.

will post a photo of the set up.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Pete
I really like the idea of making my own el cheapo racks as I just can't yet justify spending big $ on side luggage. Does anyone have some pics of some racks they have made out of heated & bent PVC? Tks...herdygerdy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts