StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One thing at a time.

To install the Backoff modulator, I believe Im supposed to cut into the white wire w/ black stripe (not the gray wire) entering the brake light socket.

My question is where would you break into the hot wire and how would you make your connections? Im ready to try soldering, crimping, etc.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
294 Posts
Definitely use Positaps!! I would never "cut" into OEM harness!!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's a personal choice. I've cut back insulation and soldered to the stock harness on almost every bike I've owned. If you use a Posi-Tap, you cut through the insulation too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Im almost ready; but, I want to solder and need to determine where in the wire. Ive disconnected the multi-wire socket and was musing on cutting midway to the brake light or somehow disconnect the white wire w/ black stripe from the socket.

Dont know how (or if its wise) to remove wire from multi-wire socket and practice western union, solder and heat shrink connections around modulator.

Or, will would what appears to be 14 ga stranded wire from the modulator fit into the socket in place of the hot wire and then only one wire to wire connection after the modulator?

Thanks for the education folks. This is good prep for wiring on my beater '87 wrangler that I just started up after bout 5 years of dormancy.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts