Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everybody? Long time listener/first time caller. Noticed that a video on my YouTube channel about thrust adjusters and engine vibration was seeing some traffic from here. I tried to reply to the post to clarify a few points; however, I don't have the necessary post count, and the reply must not have made the administrative cut.

I picked up a 2018 V Strom 650XT last fall. It's my first ever fuel injected bike, and I chose to splurge a substantial bit on the XT version because I love how it looks with the gold wheels and yellow/black paint job. I realized I spent a lot more of my time tinkering and wrenching on bikes than I actually did riding them, so I decided I was going to buy something new that was capable of long trips. It came down to the V Strom and the Versys, but the looks and reviews of the V Strom won me over.

Just took my first ever motocamping trip earlier this month. Took the ferry across the pond from Milwaukee to Muskegon, rode up the coast and across the Mackinaw, along Lake Michigan, up the Keweenaw Peninsula, and back home. Awesome experience. Hoping to do one or two more this year. Learned quite a few do's and dont's on that trip.

In terms of the V Strom--great bike. It's a work horse, and it's very "sophisticated" and feels well put-together. I'm not sold on the stock front tire. It walked out on me several times on the trip and crushed my confidence at times. Much of this can be attributed to me being a novice rider despite 15 years of riding as well as not adjusting the pre-load for the luggage. I've got some work to do on body position as well. Just an observation. Eyeing up some Anakee 3's for the next set.

I've added SW-Motech Crash Bars, SW-Motech centerstand, Givi PLX3112 with V37 hard bags, and Oxford Heated Grips (adventure).

I've got an issue with buying bikes but being unable to sell them after I form some kind of attachment, heh. The V Strom is likely to stay the only contemporary bike for a while that's nested in my garage or basement for a while though.
  • 1973 Honda CL350
  • 1984 Honda VF500F
  • 1991 Yamaha FZR600
  • 2001 Kawasaki KE100
  • 2002 Suzuki GSF600
  • 2003 Yamaha TW200
Anyway, I've been reading this great forum for a while. Hoping I'll be able to keep learning from ya'll because the wealth of knowledge here is fantastic. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sammich and beer...oh yeah! lol
Welcome to the forum, bro!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sammich and beer...oh yeah! lol
Welcome to the forum, bro!
I was worried it was going to be a long night--as soon as we got to the campsite, the Street Glide refused to fire again. We believe it came down to either vapor lock or fouled plugs--either way, we got it going. Would have been much more difficult without a 24" sandwich and beer :laugh2:

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hola, love the YUGE sammich placement.
Yea, laying it across the bottom of the rack worked okay. Much better than where I tried to first place it, hah.

Welcome to the Forum. Congrats on your new ride.
Thank you Gert, I appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Welcome. I dig the gold rims. Those newer bikes do look great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum, Q109.
Thanks Stalky, glad I finally signed up.

-----

As an aside, my Oxford heated grips stopped working after about 4 hours of runtime. After going through the troubleshooting Oxford suggested, they told me to warranty the controller through Revzilla as they suspected it gave way. Revzilla sent one out immediately, and everything works great again. <3 Revzilla.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotta say, love the bike, but your choice of beer is umm, poopy. Welcome to the forum, and cheers! >:)
Hah, I'll take the heat. While I can (and do) absolutely appreciate a lot of the craft brews--especially porters and brown ales--I've stopped kidding to myself that there's any beer I'd rather have than an ice cold Busch light after I've shut the bike down for the day and started reaching for the wrenches. It must be the recovering Nascar fan in me continuing to rebel. :bom_tongue3:

Cheers, Montana.

·
Registered
14,012 Posts
I think the Sandwich and the way you transported it more than makes up for shit beer.
But, yes, when you stop to camp even a Butt Light hits the spot!:wink2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts