StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:bom_idea:

I have 16k on my 2007, no mechanical issues but would like to have ABS. Local dealer has a 2011 dl650 white w/ABS for $7k. I have Givi side cases and top case I could yank, crash bars, madstad etc to put it back to stock before trade-- so-

Trade in the old and upgrade to a 4 year newer bike with ABS or screw it and keep riding... :confused:

At what price would you jump on a new 2011 DL650?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have the same bike with a few more miles. There's no way I'd trade it for a 2011 just for the ABS. I'd keep riding the '07 for another year or two and then take a look at trading for the new model.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would not "up grade" to a 2011 when the new Wee (2012) is greatly improved. I have a '05 Wee and I am waiting for a few more years until I make a change.

I have two bikes, one with, one without ABS. I like ABS and would not buy a new bike without it. But, I see no reason to give up my perfectly good Wee just yet to only add ABS.

·
Registered
712 Posts
:bom_idea:

I have 16k on my 2007, no mechanical issues but would like to have ABS. Local dealer has a 2011 dl650 white w/ABS for $7k. I have Givi side cases and top case I could yank, crash bars, madstad etc to put it back to stock before trade-- so-

At what price would you jump on a new 2011 DL650?
With what you'd get for your bike, it sounds like you're paying 2 to 3 thousand for ABS, an extra 25 watts of output, maybe a nicer colour, only 16k fewer miles and the joy of having something new. You've done or paid for your maintenance to date and your next (big!) expense is probably your chain. Sounds a bit expensive to me (but everything sounds expensive to me, the money's tight this year).

I wouldn't jump for a 2011 over my 2009 for anything more than a few hundred dollars, but I have ABS already. No other reason to do it, other than a broken signal light and a few scratches. I still like black.

If I could trade up to a 2012 for the same 2 or 3 thousand, I still wouldn't do it. Over the next year I plan to spend that money into upgrading the suspension, the electrics and the windscreen, and buying heated gear. I'll have a bike set up the way I want it, so what if it's the old model. But I have ABS

And you don't have ABS, simply said. If you *really want* ABS, and the cost to buy that new 2011 doesn't bother you, and you kinda really wouldn't mind a new bike, but not necessarily the newest for more, it can make sense.

But, hey, these are opinions.

Marc

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks everyone- I was getting all crazy for a minute.
New shiny bits are my downfall...:drool:

I hate passing up good deals but I know the 2011s will be on the lot for a while to tempt me another day, besides I have literally "broken" in my bike to the point I do not worry about it getting messed up a bit.

Saves me the conversation with the wife... she probably would have one anyway:weapons_72:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks everyone- I was getting all crazy for a minute.
New shiny bits are my downfall...:drool:
See, this forum CAN be helpful at times.

But I also know the lure of new shiny bits. I've been drooling over a Moto Guzzi V7 Classic Cafe, which I know I am in no position to buy (unless I sold the Wee, which I won't do). My brother in law bought that very same Guzzi Cafe I sat on last week, one of the last in the original colour available. At least it's in the family. I can relax now.

"Love the one you're with", or something like that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was just offered a 2011 black for 5000 and my 2005 with no extras. Mine has 69000 now and counting. The problem, well not really a problem, My Wee is running very well and is very comfortable for me. I just can't justify the money, when mine is doing so well. I can still go anywhere I want, any time I can. This is the best bike I've had and I've had a dozen or so bikes, in the last 40 years.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ack- this is the kind of thing that makes me crazy with shiny bit lust. You are not helping.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just keep adding new shiny bits to the old bike? The farkle craze keeps the bike fresh :mrgreen: Be like the rest of us and try multiple windshields, seats, handlebars..... it never ends and it might be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A couple of times a year I ride one of my bikes over to one of the new bike dealers here in town. I walk through the show room, look at all the glitz and chrome, kick the tires then look at price tags on those bikes. Then I smile, walk out, get on my bike that was paid for six years back and still runs liken new and ride away.

I make myself get tempted to get it out of my system. After seeing those price tags everything becomes clear....there is nothing wrong with the bike I have. We are old friends who understand each other and get along. We don't need no stinking new bike yet. Maybe I will go back next year...maybe....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Curve ball - I have a leed on a 2011 in white with 1000 miles on it if you like. So U could transfer all you stuff. The owner is in S. CT & have some medical issues. He is retired guy. And he can't ride anymore.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you need to spend some $$ on bikes or bike stuff, maybe consider getting a suspension upgrade. It will be like getting a new bike. Really.

·
Registered
179 Posts
No way I would trade in my k7 just for the ABS, but my bike is magical and can read my mind, so it would be very bad Karma. Plus I know I will get flamed but I just dont like the idea of ABS, linked brakes, fly by wire throttle etc on a motorcyle. But I am primarily a dirt rider and I dont like those mindless things making decisions for me. I am convinced that I would have died several times if I had ABS on this bike where skills and controlled slides saved my bacon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts