StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide where to go for my next road trip and want to avoid slab as much as possible. My last ride other than daily commuting was 3 months ago during the first week of May and that was only to the Muskoka area.

I'd like to keep it anywhere between 3-7 days for this trip and am fine with camping or motels. I can ride 1000km/day comfortably or about 7-800km/day of very twisty roads and prefer to ride more than stop. I can go almost anytime until November.

The Deals Gap area is so enticing, but I've been there a bunch and was thinking it's time for a change - even though I'm always happy to go back because I know the roads well. I have been thinking about West Virginia, or Adirondacks (no PA for me) or for longer trips, going up to Chicoutimi in Quebec, or south to Deals Gap, and even out to Cabot Trail, although I might need a few more days to have a nice trip with that.

Any suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
404 Posts
My suggestion if you've never been to that area is ride up to Montebello,Quebec, take the 323 to St-Sauveur/Mont-Tremblant. Nice riding up there. Then you can take the 117 north and turn to Maniwaki and take the 105 south. You would come through my area in Wakefield
and eventually Ottawa.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions so far - I am really interested in riding around the middle Quebec area, especially having been up to Mont Tremblant area and liking it a lot.

For Banff/Jasper area I am hoping to do that as well but, since I live in Toronto area and my spouse really wants to join that ride, we would probably fly out and rent a bike in Calgary for a weekend or so.

For this trip it's all about riding out from home and trying to be back in a week or so. Deals Gap is still calling me, especially with the meet happening there the end of Sept.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Vermont
Adirondacks, Catskills, Great lakes in NY
W.Virginia
You mentioned no Pa. but have you tried the western part of Pennsylvania? Allegheny and Susquehannock area.
Some very nice riding in all those areas. I've looped thought all these areas on a 5 day ride including Thousand Islands and the St. Laurence seaway. The St. Laurence was just to get back home to NH. which had beautiful scenery but kind of boring although relatively free of traffic roads.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I vote WV. Lot's of twisties and very little traffic. about 6 weeks ago I rode Rt 16 from East of Marietta Ohio Down to NC. Beautiful the whole way.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
You should head down here to Ohio for my Labor Day rally, V-Tom and his Wife are heading down.......I "always" have fellow Canadians attend every year. Head over to the Events section if you have any interest at all, we all have a great time and there is some pretty darn good roads in Ohio to explore. You could then head over into WV for a bit, that honestly might be my favorite state overall to ride in and explore. Wherever you end up going, have a great time and stay safe!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Have you done the Lake Superior Circle tour? or the Algoma loop? Both would make a nice 1 week trip from where you live. I did them in 4 days, but then again I live in Thunder Bay

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
Route 66 to the Ozarks in Missouri and Arkansas. Someone else from the great north is doing that trip on a different forum. There is a great Butler map available.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Gaspe Peninsula

I was planning on riding around the Gaspe Peninsula next month but had to cancel due to family obligations. It looks like a really interesting ride with a fair number of options to vary the route to and from. Rather than taking the 20 or the 40 through quebec I was planning on a more northerly route to Saguenay and then along the north shore of the Gulf of St Lawrence and then taking a ferry across to the Gaspe Peninsula. I was planning to do that trip in 7 days.

I now only have a few days. Last year I rode up north and stayed at a motel near the Soo. Unloaded the bags in the motel room and did day trips on the forest service roads. Had a lot more fun on those roads than I could have all loaded down with gear. I'll be doing the same thing this year staging out of North Bay.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
+1 on Gaspe Peninsula. I've been there once riding (counterclockwise) and liked it so much that last year I drove there with my wife. This year my plan was to go back for one week after NEVA 2015 and do it clockwise plus Saguenay and part of Labrador Hwy. Unfortunatelly unacspected family situation didn't allowed me to do it. Well, hopefully next year.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks. I decided against PA, because while it's nice and better than Ontario for riding, I have already spent dedicated time riding the best PA has to offer. I can also hit up PA on the way to and from WV or VA, and the Smokies in NC and TN, which is what I would do if I went further south. Also Gaspe and Cabot Trail are now out, because my lady wants to come on that trip - it's more scenic than tight and technical.

I've also ridden out to Thunder Bay and back via Manitoulin and Chapleau / Timmins - very nice scenic ride!

Last year I rode through the Adirondacks over to Maine and I found the few roads I was on in Vermont a little bumpy, but it was also nice and maybe worth exploring more. I did really like New Hampshire and Maine for scenic roads and am kind of looking for an excuse to ride out to Whitehorse Gear... Also really liked Ohio and Kentucky's rolling and twisty farm country.

BigB - thanks for the kind offer for Ohio - I can't get away that weekend as I already have plans up here. That's why I was thinking of the Deals Gap / IronHorse meet-up in late September.

I think I need higher elevations and the twisty roads that follow, which is why I was looking towards Quebec near the Saguenay, WV or NC... I have not spent any length of time exploring WV and that route suggested of taking the 16 south from Marietta to NC looks like a great ride. I've also never been further north or east than Mont Tremblant, or down to the Ozarks.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
...or down to the Ozarks.
The Ozarks are incredible, the NW corner of Arkansas has some of best twisties in the country, along with light traffic, good pavement and very little LEO presence. Hard to beat.
A long way from Toronto though, with a lot of flat, boring roads in between.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
Actually it's not bad to the Ozarks as there are fine riding roads off slab on the way down. I usually meander down by way of PA and then slab home on a marathon with hopefully a treat of dinner at Letchworth State park....yum.

Need the heat to subside tho..just too hot everywhere. I'm thinking mid to late Sept and take 4-5 days tho i know that's not enough.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You should head down here to Ohio for my Labor Day rally, V-Tom and his Wife are heading down.......I "always" have fellow Canadians attend every year. Head over to the Events section if you have any interest at all, we all have a great time and there is some pretty darn good roads in Ohio to explore. You could then head over into WV for a bit, that honestly might be my favorite state overall to ride in and explore. Wherever you end up going, have a great time and stay safe!!
I went to the Romney event in the spring and it was amazing... best riding I have ever done is in WV

1 - 16 of 16 Posts