StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear tire, chain, and sprockets are at the end of their life, at 21,000 miles. (not the tire...that lasts 4,000).

I'm thinking that unlike all the other bikes I've owned in the past 2 years, this ones a keeper.

So, I think I've got some decisions to make, and would really like input from people who have tried the following things.
I'm looking for mainly long-term cost effectiveness. I'll spend slightly more for a part if it lasts longer, or increases my fuel economy.

Chain:
What brands? EK? DID? RK? Regina?
What size? 525 or 530? Is there any benefit of 525 other than weight? Any difference in fuel economy or so? Any benefit in 530 other than chain life? The chains seem to be lot more expensive in 530 size...would I actually ever make that up in longevity?
I ride a lot in rain, mud, and even water crossings are not uncommon, so I want a chain that will handle it. Are X-ring chains really worth the price compared to the Sealed O-ring chains?
If I get a $200 chain, will it really last over twice as long as a this $100 X-ring chain?

Sprockets:
I just want a plain steel sprocket - nothing titanium or aluminum.
I commute about 600 miles a week. Most of that is around 55-65mph. The engine doesn't seem to like being in 6th very much at anything less than 65. Would going down increase my fuel economy since I'd be in 6th more often?
How much worse will the speedo error be?
I also do quite a bit of "hardcore" dirt riding, where even in 1st gear I find I can't get the engine slow enough for some of the slick mud through which I go. Obviously going down would help this, but probably not enough. I'm thinking perhaps it would be better to stay with stock gearing for the street, and change to a much larger rear sprocket every time I change to knobbies, rather than try to find some compromise between the two.
Brands? I've used JT Sprockets before, and was happy with them. On their website, they list the stock gearing as 17/42. That's incorrect, right--it should be 17/41?

Thanks,
-S

·
Registered
11 Posts
final drive reply!

I replaced my chain with a did/525 gold.I used a stock front sprocket and a 43 tooth rear sprocket instead of a 41 tooth.I love this gearing change and 6th gear is much more usable.speedo is now 11mph off!!! while you have the rear sprocket hub off and cleaned get a bycycle intertube,cot 58"sections and slip over alum. fingers that go between rubber cushions in hub.this well completely remove the slop and your shifting well be so much smoother!!! I got the chain and sprockets from adventure moto stuff in carson city for just under 200.00:):):)Steve

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, finding the stock part numbers is easy, but how do you find the right sprockets for the 530 chain? Is it simply the SV1000S part numbers? Are they completely interchangable?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If those SV part number are correct, here's what I'm getting:

525 replacement chain, front, and 43T rear sprocket: 152.29
530 replacement chain, front, and 43t rear sprocket: 151.83

That's a 43-cent difference. Not exactly a deal breaker either way.

So I guess the main question is, how much longer with the chain last with 530, and how much better fuel mileage will I get with the 525?

Code:
525 chain	101.95	530 Chain	96.95
525 Front	15.25	530 Front	15.29
525 Rear	35.09	530 Rear	39.59
		152.29			151.83

·
Registered
58 Posts
haha all the gixxer boys change their chains from 530 to 525 or 520 and now the vstrom guys want to go the opposite direction...

I'd stick with standard chain size but in x-ring did gold if I were you. For your riding style a tooth down in the front or 1 or 2 up in the back would make a lot of sense.

Get a Speedohealer if you're concerned about the speedo error.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts