StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals, I'm a Suzuki Nut. Have owned multiple gsxr1k, bandits, tons of suzuki dirtbike etc. But have always rode solo. Now my Gf rode with me a bit on the bandit 1200 and like it but wasn't good for more then 300 miles. Now that i have some funds free its time to pick up a bike for 2 up that can do some gravel and fireroads if needed. Mainly highway 2 up though. I'm 300 in gear alone so I decided the DL1000 is probably my best bet right? I might get flamed for this but don't really like the look of the new ones.

So that being said my main question is were the lean issues fixed in the newer models? 2012?

Found a 2012 adv with 12k miles cruise control, aux lighting, all 3 boxes, center stand, bar risers and aftermarket bars and tall windscreen at a dealer for 7k otd.. is this a good deal?

I've read alot but nothing notes the 2012 model. Same issues? anything to look at?

Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Whatever you get, buy new springs, front & rear, that suit you two's total riding weight.

The '14+ DL1000A is a great bike. Get used to the looks. Go down one tooth on the front sprocket, 17 to 16, to help with your double riding weight. You'll like the bike a lot! Better frame geometry, much better suspension (but you still need suitable springs), much better brakes, better engine, much better clutch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I definetly will be adjusting the suspension either way.

I don't think I can spend that much on a new V2 and try and make myself like the look. If the 12 vee had the same issues as the earlier models and the fix is the v2, then I might just look elsewhere for a bike.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I am in the camp that believes the new 1000's are fugly - at least the beak thing. And no, it's looks haven't grown on me. But I gotta tell ya, best damn bike I've ever owned or ridden. The more I ride it the more i love this freakin thing. I tend to buy and sell bikes quite often - but this ugly b#itch is a keeper! If you spend $7k on an older 1000, then you better not ever spend any decent amount of time on a newer one. Cuz you will regret not ponying up a couple more $K's for a '14.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here the thing, I don't really wanna spend 12-14k on a new bike either. I found an 03 with some add ons etc for 3k obo. gonna see about the 14 for 7500 if they still have it ill pick it up. If not ill talk to this guy about the 03 DL1000. its cheap enough for liability insurance to offset the added cost of fuel and maintenance for an older bike.

Im seeing the older v's are 35-40 mpgs? and he says bike feels great at 3500-4k, a little sluggish below 3500 and sometimes seems like it takes a few seconds longer to start. Possible TBS issues? an 03 was said to be one of the better FI years correct?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Im seeing the older v's are 35-40 mpgs? and he says bike feels great at 3500-4k, a little sluggish below 3500 and sometimes seems like it takes a few seconds longer to start. Possible TBS issues? an 03 was said to be one of the better FI years correct?
Could be a lot of things, TPS acting up, FI, TBS, fuel filter, etc.

My '03 had a decent lean spot that a power commander helped to remedy, and clutch chudder is an issue in those years, but a Werks basket & PC aren't very expensive.

Good bikes tho, I loved mine.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
You won't likely get flamed here; most of us realize that these bikes aren't beauties to most people. But after having my V2 for almost two years, I still look back at it lovingly every time I leave the garage.
You should really ride the Gen1 and Gen2 and then decide if the difference in looks is worth the difference in ride / price.
I paid 10.5k for mine and have no regrets. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You won't likely get flamed here; most of us realize that these bikes aren't beauties to most people. But after having my V2 for almost two years, I still look back at it lovingly every time I leave the garage.
You should really ride the Gen1 and Gen2 and then decide if the difference in looks is worth the difference in ride / price.
I paid 10.5k for mine and have no regrets. Good luck.
Thanks, I definitely will be test riding a v2 hopefully this weekend. And ill go from there, I actually like the looks of the old V call me crazy. Will go and look at a few options and see what pans out. If i could get a V2 with crash bars and bags for 10k or under id be happy. But finding individuals to work with my bank is an issue and its alot easier with a dealer which price gouges of course.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
I just got a rebuilt shock from Sasquatch. We put it on at the Cache Rally, much mo bettah. If you want suspension, give him a gingle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the 14 is no longer 7500, price went back to 10k and still hasn't sold lol. So feeling stuck between a rock and a hard place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im not sure if a 650 would handle me and the ol lady well enough. Im 300# in gear and id say shes 180 in gear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts