StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yippie!!! Time change is here. I don't have to subtract an hour from my clock for the next several months. Too lazy to reset it with every time change:smile2:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
There is a flicker of hope that this will be the last time we change it, in the West at least. CA, OR, WA and BC are all discussing it.

But I think I read this every year and it never gets done.

If Trump wants his legacy, this is the one thing he should change over all of the US, then Canada will follow, and the rest of the world later.

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
I have hope that within my lifetime, this STUPID time change thing will go away!!!

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I've heard numerous arguments both pro and con for DST, and I think that whatever benefits it might provide are so small, and so specific to just select portions of the country, that it's pointless to continue it. Most of the arguments in favor of it are based on the hypothetical ("here's what would happen if we didn't have it"), and it's so simple to test those hypotheticals by just canceling it for a year and recording the economic/social impact, if any. It's not like we've been doing it for centuries; we didn't standardize it until 1966. Arizona doesn't even use it, and they don't grind to a halt between March and November.

·
Registered
22,275 Posts
I saw something the last day or so, Florida just past a law to use daylight savings, year round

I cut a foot off my blankets and sewed it on to the other end today as well

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Maybe arguments for DST are based on gender arguments...."it's whatever time I feel it is. Time is just a construct".

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Only argument I've ever heard that makes even an iota of sense is sending young grade school kids off in the morning. The time change is to keep them in some semblance of daylight for getting off to school. I hope ST goes the way of the dinosaur and we keep the clock at DST. Younguns (and their parents) can deal with it. I REALLY like the extended evenings.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Not me. I can't skulk along the rooftops trying to strike fear into the heart of Gotham's underworld if it stays light til freaking 9 PM.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Maybe arguments for DST are based on gender arguments...."it's whatever time I feel it is. Time is just a construct".
To be fair, it sort of is. Time as a measurement is purely a uniquely human thing and it only is this time, because as a species we agree that it is. The rotation of earth and the orbit happen to be pretty easy to measure and consistent, and its a pretty good milestone to count. Mostly. The fact that DST exists kinda proves that. Technically, we don't really need time zones at all, and as far as computers are concerned, they do not care about time zones and DST. Many computers go by GMT, and then the time zone is calculated purely for human readability. They have to, otherwise international commerce and networks would have many issues.

I do agree that DST should be done away with though. Precisely because measurement of time is a made up human thing. And why would you make time more complicated? Keep it simple.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I don't disagree with you that it's a construct, but it's a construct based on the observations of the known universe and the laws that apply. It's a system developed over the past at least 20,000 years, and has been constantly refined from counting the phases of the moon in the month to calculating Planck Time. Measuring time is a human construct because people needed to come up with a system to explain the movements of the sun, and moon, and universe. It's not arbitrary; it's quantifiable, and repeatable, and most importantly, predictable. I could claim that it was midday every time I saw a robin land in the oak tree outside my window, and that's a construct too, but it doesn't have any of the characteristics that the actual measurement of time has. That's why I made the joke; because it seems like people are becoming more prone to defining reality by how they feel, rather than what reality is. DST doesn't change the way time works; you can absolutely claim that it's midday at 5:30 AM, but your construct in no way changes that midday is the point where the sun is at its highest point in the sky. Now, you could call that event "Snarglelump" if you want, but whatever term you use, it has to describe that exact position of the sun, or it's meaningless. We agree as a species that time is measured the way it is, not because of some agreement between nations or society, , but because it accurately explains the movements of the planet and moon and celestial events to the point that it becomes predictable, quantifiable information. Someone could come along with a brand new system of measuring time, and unless it satisfied those requirements, it would be meaningless. We've abandoned multiple calendars over the millennia for precisely that reason; they didn't adequately explain the universe. Time doesn't exist because we measure it; we measure it because Time exists.

·
Registered
291 Posts
In Canada one province, Saskatchewan, has always stayed on Standard Time and both in Ontario and BC there are areas that don't switch their clocks from ST to DLS. From an astronomical standpoint time zones are arbitrary since noon on one side of a time zone is not really noon on the other side. And then there's leap years where we have to add a day every four years to make our calendars accurately reflect our rotation around the sun.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Time zones aren't arbitrary, if by arbitrary you mean "based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system". Standardized time zones became a necessity because of rail transportation. You can't safely move multiple trains on one set of tracks (especially in a time of inefficient communication like the mid 1800's) if you don't know exactly what time that train in Denver is coming east when your train from Chicago is heading west. To prevent disaster, everyone has to be on the same system, and standardized time zones make that possible, since even if it's noon where you are in Illinois, you can calculate what time that train leaving Kansas City will be in St Louis. It can't be noon everywhere at the same time, because the definition of what noon actually means doesn't allow that. And once international travel and commerce became large enough and important enough, they had to come up with an international system so the whole world could accurately calculate time, so Greenwich Mean Time was ultimately developed. International time zones and time keeping are pretty much the opposite of arbitrary.

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
As long as I can figure when 4 o'clock is so I start drinking wine, I'm OK. Like there is some change in the numbers of light is too weird!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I saw something the last day or so, Florida just past a law to use daylight savings, year round
Utah has been discussing this for the past couple of years. I'm hopeful that DST year round makes it here too.

Trouble is that the federal law allows for states to opt into DST or keep Standard Time, no option for staying on DST all the time.

Utah has tried to switch to central time then they can stay on standard time and achieve the equivalent of permanent MDT, but the misunderstanding of how it would work among Utah's voting public is staggering. Many comments on the news stories agrue against this option then say they would love it if we would go on DST all the time. Uh, Duh... That is exactly what standard central time is relative to Mountain time. Grrr.

Currently Utah is petitioning the feds to allow the permanent selection of DST by the states.

·
Registered
23 Posts
TO lazy to set your watch??
You would be one of those that had the VCR flashing 12:00 because you could not figure out how to set the clock.
IF you know what a VCR is!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Here in Indiana (most of Indiana, anyway), we had the perfectly sensible system of just leaving the farging clocks alone all year. We're out on the Western edge of Eastern time.

I had a little list taped to my computer of our clients across the country and their time zone offsets. I flipped it upside-down twice a year. No big deal; they can't help it they live in weird places that shift time around like it actually means a damn thing.

Since DST hit Indiana in 2006, the offsets stay the same so I don't have to flip my list, but I've never once for one minute gotten used to the shift. It's almost 8pm right now, and unless I specifically look at a clock I would swear it's 7. And I will remain an hour off-kilter until things shift back to the real time this fall.

Bah humbug.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I had a little list taped to my computer of our clients across the country and their time zone offsets. I flipped it upside-down twice a year. No big deal; they can't help it they live in weird places that shift time around like it actually means a damn thing.
Have you ever dealt with anyone in Newfoundland? Now that's one I can't figure. They are 30 minutes out of whack from everybody regardless of season.

Personally, I really don't care. I can add and subtract by ones. I think it's probably more beneficial the farther north/south you are when your days get quite short or long. I really don't need the sun coming up at 4 am and I'm not that far north.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I don't disagree with you that it's a construct, but it's a construct based on the observations of the known universe and the laws that apply. It's a system developed over the past at least 20,000 years, and has been constantly refined from counting the phases of the moon in the month to calculating Planck Time. Measuring time is a human construct because people needed to come up with a system to explain the movements of the sun, and moon, and universe. It's not arbitrary; it's quantifiable, and repeatable, and most importantly, predictable. I could claim that it was midday every time I saw a robin land in the oak tree outside my window, and that's a construct too, but it doesn't have any of the characteristics that the actual measurement of time has. That's why I made the joke; because it seems like people are becoming more prone to defining reality by how they feel, rather than what reality is. DST doesn't change the way time works; you can absolutely claim that it's midday at 5:30 AM, but your construct in no way changes that midday is the point where the sun is at its highest point in the sky. Now, you could call that event "Snarglelump" if you want, but whatever term you use, it has to describe that exact position of the sun, or it's meaningless. We agree as a species that time is measured the way it is, not because of some agreement between nations or society, , but because it accurately explains the movements of the planet and moon and celestial events to the point that it becomes predictable, quantifiable information. Someone could come along with a brand new system of measuring time, and unless it satisfied those requirements, it would be meaningless. We've abandoned multiple calendars over the millennia for precisely that reason; they didn't adequately explain the universe. Time doesn't exist because we measure it; we measure it because Time exists.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts