StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is a simple question for some more experienced riders out there. I need to adjust the chain on my '04 DL1000, do I need to use a race stand to lift the rear wheel or is it OK to use the side stand and leave the wheel on the ground?

Thanks'
BJH

·
Registered
279 Posts
BJH,

Just do it on the sidestand. I usually sit on the ground behind the bike so I can hold the axle in place with my left hand and wrench and loosen and tighten the axle nut with the right hand and wrench. Don't go and roll the bike off the stand. Just be careful. Don't get the chain TOO tight. Not sure what the manual says, but I set mine around 3/4" or a little more. Better to have it slightly loose than too tight. Once the slack is taken up on the suspension after sitting on it, that tightens up the chain a little, anyway. Get your marks lined up good too!

Good Luck! :wink:

·
Registered
360 Posts
The specs for the 650 chain call for 0.8 to 1.2 inches of slack with the bike on the side stand. I tend to set mine right at the upper limit on the center stand and it takes up a bit of slack when the rear gets back on the ground.

You don't need a center or rear stand to do the chain but it makes the job a lot easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts