StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the rear brake piston out. ( DL1000 05) It's been sticking and getting hot...thought I'd clean it up. Polished the piston on my buffer... the rubber rings inside look good but it's very tight. Should I get new rubber rings even thought these look good. Can I use a lubricant to get things together. Also I'm switching to DOT 5..hoping that will be a little slicker.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
1) Do NOT use the DOT 5 silicon based fluid in your V-Strom. It's made for glycol-based fluids, DOT 4 or DOT 5.1.

2) The only lubricant needed or recommended is fresh clean brake fluid.

3) "Brake Grease" should not be used inside the braking system. It's a substance intended to protect the outside parts -- the slider pins, and a very light film on the brake backing edges where they need to slide against the caliper body.

The only real disadvantage of DOT 5.1 brake fluid (besides the expense and a little more difficulty finding it) is in vehicles that are only used infrequently, or might suffer from deferred maintenance. If you're not faithfully flushing your brakes at least once a year, 5.1 absorbs more water and can lead to increased corrosion.

The other issue is that the higher boiling points of DOT 5.1 over DOT 4 don't mean diddly/squat in real-life use. There's really not much point to going to the trouble unless you plan to head to the track with defective calipers.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Great points above. Also note that "brake Klean" solvent is for grease on the exterior of brake parts, not for the inside. Use only clean brake fluid to clean the interior.

Get the new seal ring.

Reactions: Kurgan
1 - 3 of 3 Posts