StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here spent quality time on (or own) both bikes? My thoughts have wandered over to something with a little more 'spunk'. The turbine-like howl of that triple is just stuck in my head. Reviews I've read seem generally positive, though testers don't conspicuously drool over it.

Just wondering if that extra 30% (or so) more hp of the 800 is worth it in the practical sense? Most of what little riding I do right now is a relatively short work commute; no off-road and very little two-up, but my saddle time IS my sanity check. What I love about the Wee is the 'in your face' practicality (read: ugliness that only an engineer could love) and extremely good ergonomics for my frame, but I do love a good power rush now and again. I really do like the refinements that are apparent on the new Wee, but I'm fundamentally disappointed that Suzuki decided against a larger displacement on the new bike.

So...should I banish the thought, or go take a test ride on the Triumph 800? :confused: I'd love to hear from someone who has struggled with these same demons.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ran into a guy at Tim Hortons the other morning. Traded is 09 Wee for the Triumph this spring. He said the Wee was great, but the new Triumph does everything just that much better. Claimed is was like a Wee on Steroids! And there he was, gone, with that Triumph Howl!

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I still am not sure of the new 650 price

The 800 is $12000 US and 150 CC's more so comparison unfair

On a fun basis probably a tie

I seriously DOUBT that the increased capability of the Triumph would make me decide to go on a trail that I would chicken out on a wee.

Buy a Wee and a good used DRZ and still have cash in your pocket

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have not yet read the article (I am saving it for the rally this weekend) but the October Cycle Work mag compares the BMW and Triumph 800's. The same edition covers the new "12 wee.
I considered the Triumph XC before buying my first (new) wee this year. I did not test ride the XC. I based my decision (favoring the wee) on price (big difference), the proven design of the wee, and my (unjustified) bias against Brit bikes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have ridden both and I too ruled out the brit bike because of bucks. Way too many bucks , and in spite of mag articles to the contrary was not even less than the equivalent BMW offing.

That said the real deal breaker for me on all of the triples I've ridden is the heat coming off them. I have ridden the speed triple, the ST, and the Tiger 800's (both of them) and found them to be too hot for my regional weather.
'

If I lived in a more temperate climate where the average temp was below seventy it might be a consideration, but for me it is way too heated for the south. I did not get that from the beemer or the wee's I've owned and ridden so I have to pass on what would otherwise be a real good bike.

I too was mezmerized by the thriples exhaust note. Bb I believe or was the GEEEEEEEEEEEE whiz. Very tempting that. But alas , If I want a sauna I'll just pop in to the local spa for a bit.

:thumbdown:

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I have a pretty well farkled Wee with an well setup suspension. I did a decent test ride with the stock tiger 800 (no XC)t

In short, with qualifications below, it is well worth the extra 30% - i am very impressed by it - cant say the same with S10

With commuting, Tiger 800 makes soooo easy to ride or craw at less than 2mph (yes a romantic stroll speed). Suzy on the hand is a fat pig by comparison. I literally completely stop the bike for 2 seconds without putting a foot down, try that with a top heavy Wee! You will instantly look like an expert in negotiating tight turns around the car park:mrgreen:

all the other benefits Tiger 800 have been well documented and no need for me to repeat here.

I seriously considered trading the Wee in, but and this is a big BUT- I have a lot of confidence in japanese reliability - Triumph is still an unknown at this point. Whilst i like spending $$ to farkle by bike, i dont like spending any to fix it to get things going. My expectation on bikes life - at least 150,000km (90,000 miles) without issues.

At the rate i am riding, i will be looking for a replacement of Wee in 6 years time - perhaps Triumph would have proven itself by then!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I still am not sure of the new 650 price

The 800 is $12000 US and 150 CC's more so comparison unfair

On a fun basis probably a tie

I seriously DOUBT that the increased capability of the Triumph would make me decide to go on a trail that I would chicken out on a wee.

My thoughts exactly. I've wanted to get a new bike to replace my stolen R1100RS with a dual sport in mind so I can ride with my boys on their dirt bikes. But I still wanted to get on the road with a competent street machine. So it came down to finding one bike that could do both. I rode the Tiger XC and was impressed, but I still wouldn't want to do single trail riding with it, nor would I on a Wee. However, the Wee comes in about $4k less than the XC and with the money I save, I can pick up a used DRZ for the tight stuff the kids enjoy.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah, but motorcycles are largely toys, so if it floats your boat and you like it more, and it's worth the money, do it.

Also excellent advice :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'd love to get a Tiger 800 next year, but I sure wouldn't take that kind of money offroad. It would be outfitted for touring and I'd keep my Strom for a spare, and for gravel road touring.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I sat on an 800XC the other day. Luckily for me I'm inseam challenged, so that bike is off the list. The regular 800 is nice though, but I can't see spending the bucks for it over my Wee...not this week at least.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Keep in mind the price difference is wrong listed in Rider Mag - no ABS for the Tiger. So, in USD it is 8.1k for the Strom, 11k for the Tiger with ABS ( apple to apples) add another 1k if you want the XC. Add a little over 1k and you can get a Tenere with a lot of bells and whistles and shaft drive as well. If I was going to change and breakout the wallet that is what I would get as it has been around a while and I like Yamaha quality.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a retired friend with a XC, and as much as the Wee is a hands down better road bike than my KLR, the XC is as much better than either bike in my stable.

It's a work of art, so much that I would not want to drop it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've put a fair amount of farkle money into my 'tried&true' wee getting it right for my purposes... and still haven't come close to the price of the 'gen1' Triumph yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Triumph VS BMW 800 GS VS Vee and Wee ...

I went around checking out bikes yesterday.

The Triumph dealer is all out of demo 800s ... more 800s coming soon.

The BMW dealer had a demo GS 800, which I took for a spin.
I have previously owned two BMW GS 1150s, and a BMW Dakar, and I like the 800 GS better than my previous BMW rides. The 800 has the same HP as the 1150 GS, but with a bit less weight than the older Dakar 650. I found it hard to keep the front end on the ground.
GOTTA LIKE THAT!!!

But,
I also played around with a nice clean Vstrom 1000.

I actually prefer the more relaxed feel of the Vee and the WEE over the BMW.
Go figger??

·
Registered
168 Posts
tenere...wee...Tiger

Is the Tiger in the same price range ad the Tenere?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts