StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
What the hell is a "tiez?" Misspelling of the number ten in Spanish?

·
Registered
413 Posts
From my short stint in Germany (Army, early 80s) Usually, when i and e are used together, there is a long e or i sound - for the second letter in the combination.

My guesses:

tize
or tights

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I'm going to take a huge chance and accept the info from the person who works there. :yesnod:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
no its just means "fast"
What language? One of the few phrases I can still remember from my very rusty Urdu is "jeldi jaow," so it's not that or Hindi.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Geez, now I wonder what I was shouting at those taxi drivers in Karachi. No wonder they looked kind of surly.:green_lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
LOL!!!!

I dont think you need to say anything like to the taxi or bus drivers.. If i could come up with a word to have them slow down a bit - that would be the real innovation...

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I dont think you need to say anything like to the taxi or bus drivers.. If i could come up with a word to have them slow down a bit - that would be the real innovation...
No kidding. That would have been well beyond the minimal Urdu capability I managed to glean from Cdr. Jan, the retired Pakistani Navy officer who tutored me.

Funny thing is I don't recall Karachi traffic being all that hectic in the late 70s. I even commuted by motorcycle most days without too much fear for my life. Navigation was more of a problem for me...getting hopelessly lost at night in the back streets of North Nazimabad isn't much fun.

Good thing I was young and stupid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No kidding. That would have been well beyond the minimal Urdu capability I managed to glean from Cdr. Jan, the retired Pakistani Navy officer who tutored me.

Funny thing is I don't recall Karachi traffic being all that hectic in the late 70s. I even commuted by motorcycle most days without too much fear for my life. Navigation was more of a problem for me...getting hopelessly lost at night in the back streets of North Nazimabad isn't much fun.

Good thing I was young and stupid.
Are you sure you are not from Pakistan?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Are you sure you are not from Pakistan?
Naah, just assigned to Karachi in '79-'80. Had a chance to travel pretty extensively in Sindh and Baluchistan, and a few times to the north. One of the best motorcycling experiences of my life was a trip up into the Kaghan Valley as far as the glaciers across the road would permit, and then a hike across the snowfields to Lake Saiful Maluk. What beautiful country. I have always hoped that political conditions would allow Pakistan to develop what could be a fabulous tourist industry, but sadly it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Naah, just assigned to Karachi in '79-'80. Had a chance to travel pretty extensively in Sindh and Baluchistan, and a few times to the north. One of the best motorcycling experiences of my life was a trip up into the Kaghan Valley as far as the glaciers across the road would permit, and then a hike across the snowfields to Lake Saiful Maluk. What beautiful country. I have always hoped that political conditions would allow Pakistan to develop what could be a fabulous tourist industry, but sadly it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.
Spot on. the Kaghan valley truly is spectacle to behold. our resources and certain political conditions did not allow for the tourist industry to blossom as well it should have and deserved. Hopefully, it will start improving soon!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts