StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other site speak of

Tier 1 gas ... shell... texaco etc. as basically being a somewhat different animal than the discount brands.

Snipe Hunt or Real ?

If this Leprechaun Juice does exist do think its worth anything and or if it has less sheep sweat than discount gas and maybe especially a smart choice for the wintering over?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I go with a top tier brand whenever possible and don't fill up if a tanker is doing a delivery. They assure a top detergent package in regular grades and others do not. I see a lot of people reporting clogged fuel filters while I am approaching 74,000 miles with no problems. The off brand discount places get fuel from different sources. Sometimes Shell gets poured into the holding tank, sometimes Citgo, sometimes BP etc.

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Top Tier gas is like the Snell Foundation of gasoline brands

they have certain requirements that gasoline must meet, but just like the Snell foundation and helmets, Top Tier doesn't go seeking, the manufacturers must apply for testing and being in the "club"

Mostly, I use Irving, not on the list and I think it prolly easily exceeds the Top Tier requirements

To honestly tell the truth, I used to use mostly Citgo, and still would if the gas station was still there

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Top Tier gas is like the Snell Foundation of gasoline brands

they have certain requirements that gasoline must meet, but just like the Snell foundation and helmets, Top Tier doesn't go seeking, the manufacturers must apply for testing and being in the "club"

Mostly, I use Irving, not on the list and I think it prolly easily exceeds the Top Tier requirements

To honestly tell the truth, I used to use mostly Citgo, and still would if the gas station was still there
Slightly off-topic, I noticed yesterday a Citgo station with a big bold sign out front advertising "NO ALCOHOL!". I am heartened by this recent change. We have maintained a few Citgo stations in our area while others sloughed off, but only a couple of Fina stations catering to marine customers have consistently had ethanol-free fuel of any grade for several years.

Maybe a trend will start. I know I'll buy the ethanol-free brands if at all possible. I've had too much trouble of late with fuel system problems in all of my vehicles and equipment (except, strangely, in my motorcycles).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Personally. I am a Shell guy. Everything I own seems to run best on that brand. Motorcycle, lawn mower, Subaru (Yup, I own a Subaru. Aren't Stroms the Subarus of motorcycling anyway?) and formerly a boat.

Hess works good as well.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I'm with GW, I can fill my tank at the top tier for a few nickels more, and I think it's better gas. Chevron is my favorite on the west coast.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There is a lot of variation in gasoline from season to season, brand to brand, and region to region.

The EPA requires a minimum level of detergents in gasoline, but some question whether that level is adequate and the Top Tier brands put more in all grades of their gasoline.

The octane grade is the average of two methods of figuring octane, Research method and Motor method. A bit higher on R and less on M gives the same average number as another brand of gas that is a bit lower on R and higher on M--some engines might run better on one brand's mixture and other engines might do best on the other brand's mixture.

There are different formulas of gasoline in several dozen different regions of the country to help minimize air pollution, and there are different ways to achieve compliance. Different brands of gas might have different mixtures that one engine likes and another engine prefers something else.

There are seasonal requirements for gasoline formulations to help reduce air pollution, and again various ways to achieve compliance.

What this all means is that your engine might do best on one brand of gasoline in one region of the country in one season, and a different brand of gas in another season or another region. And your car might do best on different gas than your bike. Try several and find which works best. Your Shell might not work as well as my Shell, and my Chevron might not be as good as your Chevron. Your BP might be great and my BP/ARCO might be garbage.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use Mobile because I like their Fast Pass dongle that fits on my keychain and automatically debits my checking account. Just point it at the pump, enter your zip code and fill up. I think it also works for Exxon. Had my debit card phished at a gas station and am leary about using it for gas, especially out of my home area.

Seeking out cheap gas doesn't really make much sense for me on the bike. What's the difference in cost, maybe a dollar per tank at most? Might as well get the name brand for peace of mind if nothing else.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I see the same gasoline transport tankers making deliveries to Shell, Exxon, and 7-Eleven. All local gas comes from the same fuel depot here, just the additives are different. I look for ethanol free stations, otherwise I look for stations with a high volume of sales. Less likelyhood of getting crap from underground tanks. And always get premium grade from high volume stations. Trust me on this one.

·
38,104 Posts
All local gas comes from the same fuel depot here, just the additives are different. I look for ethanol free stations, otherwise I look for stations with a high volume of sales. Less likelyhood of getting crap from underground tanks. And always get premium grade from high volume stations. Trust me on this one.
Nope. Premium is a waste of money if the engine isn't pinging. Also, the additive package is an important difference.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What I wish for is to have ethanol free gas. But living in the Portland metro area of Oregon, this isn't going to happen. Sometimes on a trip to the eastern part of the state, I do see ethanol free.

I generally do use top-tier gas.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Texas is not an E10 mandatory state, therefore premium gas is not likely to have ethanol. My 2 stroke bikes require ethanol free premium gas per manufacturers requirements, plus I find I DO get better gas mileage from premium fuel in all my vehicles vs the use of ethanol blends. Thus, I find the use of premium NOT a waste of money. YMMV.

Ethanol Free Premium Coalition

·
38,104 Posts
If regular has ethanol and premium does not, you'll get about 3% better mileage. If it is certain there is no ethanol in premium and it costs no more than 3% more, it can be a better deal. I just haven't seen pure gas anywhere in a long time.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If regular has ethanol and premium does not, you'll get about 3% better mileage. If it is certain there is no ethanol in premium and it costs no more than 3% more, it can be a better deal. I just haven't seen pure gas anywhere in a long time.
I choose to use premium because all the bikes you see listed under my picture are everyday riders, and sometimes one or two may sit for a couple of months on the battery tender and not driven. I have yet had to pull a carb or injector on a bike due to plugged jet or injector orafice that has set for a reasonable period with premium fuel. My DRZ sat for 6 months one time and fired up readily and idled just fine. I am sure I have been lucky, but I am not gonna change my rabbit foot just to find out.
BTW, I do periodically run Seafoam through a tank.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Do any of you use Sam's Club gas? If so, next time look at the pump and see if it says the fuel contains ethanol. Our store in Wichita Falls doesn't have a label anywhere saying it has ethanol, and I thought it had to be posted if it does contain it. And non of the employees can answer my question concerning the contents. Just curious.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I'm staying out of this one other than to say that a fuel containing 100% ethanol would not gum up a carb...

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you could get real gas not

Eco ruined preburnt ethanol hippy gas

I would be MUCH better for long time storage and worth every pennt extra

·
Registered
288 Posts
I go with Chevron out west for my bikes and then Shell. I'll go with a cheap gas only when I have to. Someone mentioned before that the difference in cost is minimal.

I used to own a sailboat and I only put chevron in the engine. It was amazing how clean my engine was while everyone else's engine was so gunked up they didn't run. I had a mechanic help me out with my first tune up. He used to work on aircraft carriers and he was pretty shocked at the difference. If it works for the boat then it would definitely work for the bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts