StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you please tell me what this ticking noise is? Is it injector, or valve, or maybe standard v strom noise. Notice that it gets a little louder after I roll off the throttle. Reason I am questioning this is because I smelled what I believe is fuel in the old oil I replaced on this bike. The noise seems to only happen at idle.
MAH01432 - YouTube
Thank you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Even V-Tom will see now....:headbang: I think you need to go back to your Harley.....
Dude, Why are you so against me asking a simple question? I have a genuine concern with my oil smelling like gas. Should I not ask anymore question because what? I don't understand. What is wrong with asking questions. I am not forcing anyone to give up their time to answer me. I am not an ass. I am as polite as I can be. I don't offend anyone as far as I know. I will not go back to Harley, I this is my first newer bike that is not designed in 1930's so I want to learn more. If you know that this noise is normal, please say so, and if not I would appreciate your help. I am not a mechanic or bike expert, if I were I would not be asking questions. If V Tom wishes not to contribute, not me or anyone here is going to make him. Thus far, however, V tom has been very helpful. You have been as well in the beginning, but now, if my questions annoy you, please do not contribute, if you want to take your time to help me out please do so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2012 and mine sounds the same. I didn't smell my oil though but after 1100kms its was a dark amber.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2012 and mine sounds the same. I didn't smell my oil though but after 1100kms its was a dark amber.
not to make this an oil thread, yes it was dark amber at 2K, but at 2700K when I changed it, it was deep dark when smeared on piece of paper. IT is the gas smell that threw me off. I have read here that injectors could be sticking, or the oil is getting past the rings.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Most used oil smells like gas to a certain extent, and 1-2% dilution is normal and not harmful. In modern automotive direct injected gasoline engines, it is common to see 3-4% and even up to 5% if the vehicle only makes short trips. There is considerable debate on BITOG about 5% being harmful. The oil analyses I've seen don't show increased wear at 5% dilution, which in effect, decreases an engine oil's viscosity.

You could check your plugs for a rich condition, but if you had a fuel injection problem bad enough to dilute your oil, you would certainly notice a problem with the way it runs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most used oil smells like gas to a certain extent, and 1-2% dilution is normal and not harmful. In modern automotive direct injected gasoline engines, it is common to see 3-4% and even up to 5% if the vehicle only makes short trips. There is considerable debate on BITOG about 5% being harmful. The oil analyses I've seen don't show increased wear at 5% dilution, which in effect, decreases an engine oil's viscosity.

You could check your plugs for a rich condition, but if you had a fuel injection problem bad enough to dilute your oil, you would certainly notice a problem with the way it runs.

I don't go crazy on it, but I cannot complain about lack of power. It will go if I need it. I will just watch my oil level, and if it rises (I always park in the exact same spot) will take it to the dealer to check it. I ride 11 miles each way twice a day so that's 22 miles in decent temps. I let It warm up 30-40 seconds before riding.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
I will. I will watch the oil level and when I change it before winter hibernation, I will send a sample to a lab.
Yeah that is what you should do for piece of mind, but I am betting that you are just fine. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I sent an oil sample in from the SV. I was concerned about the aluminum levels from the clutch. Turns out it was normal and nothing really came of it. I just figured out where the aluminum dust in the oil came from.

It was around $30-$40 and a week or so wait time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds just like my 2011, as long as all the noises it was making were picked up by the camera.

A leaking injector would drip into the intake while the engine wasn't running, thus it would misfire on one cylinder when you started it until it cleared out, and probably be difficult to start at times.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I listened to the video. My thought is that it's normal valve train noise which will come and go with temperature and when the ratcheting tensioner takes up cam chain slack periodically. Sounds just like mine.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
99.9% of the time, my answer to noise questions is to wear ear plugs.

·
Administrator
13,351 Posts
I let It warm up 30-40 seconds before riding.
Your bike sounds normal to me.

The is no real reason to let it idle for 30 or 40 seconds before riding. You can pretty much start it and go; there is no reason to sit more than a second or two. When you do take off just keep the revs reasonable low (but don't lug it!) and avoid full throttle.

Idling when cold increases wear and tear, allows more unburnt fuel to get past the rings, causes rode pollution, increases load on the bearings, etc and slows down the length of time the engine takes to warm up.

These are probably all fine points but the bottom line is start it and if it runs okay ride right away.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 42 Posts