StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
Our weekend ride was up Thundebolts Way to Walcha, down the mountain on the Oxley Hwy to Port Macquarie, along the heavily policed Pacific Hwy to Taree, back to Gloucester via Krambach, down Bucketts way and then home via Putty Road.
Despite TV news reporting that thunderbolts is closed after severe storms, it is not ! there are currently some sections under repair from large landslides and huge amounts of debris but it is open all the way, with controlled one way traffic in a few sections.
WARNING - one section has deep gravel with large sized rocks on a long steep downhill part that ends in a sharp turn onto one way bridge.... this was no worries on my Strom but the sports bikes following had a few slippery moments... If your not confident in dirt then dont try this mountain pass at the moment......otherwise its lots of fun.
The downhill run from Walcha on the Oxley Hwy is one of the best rides IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks Mountain Lagoon ... planning a trip up Thunderbolts on 19th of next month ... may be little more repaired by then.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Walcha Loop

This loop you did was a favourite of mine some years ago, when the bit in the middle was first sealed. We mostly for reasons I don't know, seemed to do it on the long weekend in June. I recall one Saturday night, a local in the pub told how his thermometer at home read -9C the previous night. I was no warmer the 2 days we were there!
This is still a popular destination with riders to-day, especially with Ulyssians. A different route home I suggest to try is????? can't think of the name now but will describe enough for those interested. Head back along Thunderbolt Way about 15-30 kms and you will find a a road to the right which eventually heads South and joins the Dungowan Road. There are not too many roads that do this. Aaaah memory returns, the road is called Post Office road and the great windy bit is Port Stephens Cutting. It's a real hoot flying down the cutting as you can see if there is oncoming traffic. The cutting drops maybe 200 meters and if time permits maybe a return up and down again will be memorable. The views are worth a pic stop both from the top, looking down or from the bottom looking up. The Dungowan road is very picturesque along the creek and you can travel to Tamworth or via Nundle and the several roads from there. Take a camera if you go and post a pic or three.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mountain Lagoon ... planning a trip up Thunderbolts on 19th of next month ... may be little more repaired by then.
No worries, I am guessing that the deep gravel section is the first layer of roadbase that will soon be rolled and crushed flatter, so I hope its all good for you by then. The climb up the mountain had a lots of thin mud across the road from smaller landslides, the roadcrews did an excellent job of keeping the way clear of obstacles (such as entire trees !) Two of our group hit small birds, one bird broke off a rear view mirror and the other filled a grill and probably his air filter with feathers. I beeped my horn at any birds on the road and didnt hit anything, although one disgruntled wedgtail eagle did protest at moving off his carcass.

Walcha had a min of -6 and a top of 9 degrees, I think it was about 5-6 degrees when we stopped for lunch.

·
Registered
456 Posts
This loop you did was a favourite of mine some years ago, when the bit in the middle was first sealed. We mostly for reasons I don't know, seemed to do it on the long weekend in June. I recall one Saturday night, a local in the pub told how his thermometer at home read -9C the previous night. I was no warmer the 2 days we were there!
This is still a popular destination with riders to-day, especially with Ulyssians. A different route home I suggest to try is????? can't think of the name now but will describe enough for those interested. Head back along Thunderbolt Way about 15-30 kms and you will find a a road to the right which eventually heads South and joins the Dungowan Road. There are not too many roads that do this. Aaaah memory returns, the road is called Post Office road and the great windy bit is Port Stephens Cutting. It's a real hoot flying down the cutting as you can see if there is oncoming traffic. The cutting drops maybe 200 meters and if time permits maybe a return up and down again will be memorable. The views are worth a pic stop both from the top, looking down or from the bottom looking up. The Dungowan road is very picturesque along the creek and you can travel to Tamworth or via Nundle and the several roads from there. Take a camera if you go and post a pic or three.
Agree, the Port Stevens cutting is a good bit of road. A few years back just after a few of us had ridden down the cutting we stopped at the Dungowan pub for a meal and a beer and the publican was telling us of the visits they have from one local resident who occasionally rides the cutting at a very fast pace!!. Last time he was on a red Ducati. I think next time he will be on a Honda!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Satrurn5,
We will try the anticlockwise loop next time on those roads via Weabonga-Limbri-Dungowan-Nundle-Timor-Glenbawn-Greenlands-Singleton-Putty-Home. I,m away from home for a few weeks so it will be a not-so-cold spring ride when I get back.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That young lad when he is home is known to use the cutting as a training track (running of course). Runs up and back through the cutting - no mean feat in itself!

+1 on the Port Stephens cuttings and the Post Office road, Dungowan and then onto Tamworth. The Nowendoc end was under reconstruction a while back (January) looks like they are tarring the last 10 kms towards the Glouster end.

Farmer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
+1 for thunder bolts way hopefully you get days like this one

Stoner has been using St George cutting for traing for years, since his property is not far form there
also there is a gourmet berry farm on thunder bolts which will cater for group lunches :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I spent my entire youth in the family home at Tamworth,Armidale road with the Peel river as my backyard and all these posts of the surrounding areas are making me seriously homesick,as 18 year olds we used to day trip Coffs for a surf/fishing trip,not to mention chasing some skirt--Robbo had the pub at Nundle,spotlighting bunnies all night,Bendy for a swim on the hot summer days in those granite rock pools,take me home country roads.:yesnod:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Agree, the Port Stevens cutting is a good bit of road. A few years back just after a few of us had ridden down the cutting we stopped at the Dungowan pub for a meal and a beer and the publican was telling us of the visits they have from one local resident who occasionally rides the cutting at a very fast pace!!. Last time he was on a red Ducati. I think next time he will be on a Honda!!!
+1 on the cutting. From Walcha TBW take the first turn on the RHS about 1km. Follow this road through Niangala, meets up with the Prt Stevens cutting road. Excellent ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts