StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to lighten the throttle return spring(s) on a Wee? I know its light for a bike of this size, but it still annoys my wrist, and with the roads I like to ride, a throttle lock or rocker is NOT an option.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Read more s-l-o-w-l-y.

I think the Original Poster said LIGHTEN, not TIGHTEN.

I agree. When I am running at a steady speed, my hand tires and gets sore,
so I try various remedies. Currently I am experimenting with the NEP throttle lock. Merchants say it fits the DL-650, but I find it requires some modifications. Currently, I rate it "not satisfactory" but I am still evaluating it. It sure is cheap, and it is reasonably well made. Perhaps it will work out.

Keith

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
One thing that helps is larger grips. They provide more mechanical advantage. Wrist exercizes help too.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Mis-adjusting the return cable a bit too tight reduces the return spring effect. I don't know if this is safe.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing that helps is larger grips. They provide more mechanical advantage. Wrist exercizes help too.
Yep. I have Grip Puppies, but they don't help that much. I like the real twisty roads, so locks and rockers don't help or work.

I know this is comparing apples and oranges, but having the turning force of a single carb spring on a small cc bike would be great. I can ride my son's Yamaha TW200 all day without fatigue.

·
38,104 Posts
I mean larger than small Grip Puppies on stock grips. I have Large Grip Puppies on HotGrips.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
O ring

A Caterpillar O ring part number 8M 5266 works as a partial throttle lock by adding some friction.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have the NEP on my Vee, and for a throttle lock it is okay. You can back off of the tension a little and it acts like a power assist while holding the throttle open, thus relieving wrist fatigue, but you loose the lock feature.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Why do people suggest things the OP has clearly stated - TWICE - as not an option ?
I think the point was to show there are other options for throttle locks other than for throttle locking. GW suggested grip puppies, but the OP has already tried that option. Viewing the parts diagram, it shows torsion springs are used as throttle return springs, so a SIMPLE spring swap is out of the question.
Maybe YOU have a suggestion?:frown:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just in case, maybe some haven't thought about this...

If you use a "partial" throttle lock, or modify the cables, or whatever, in such a way that the "snap shut" design doesn't function...

Then you've defeated (or partially defeated) the bikes ability to basically stop and fall over, if you were to lose control of it.

If it's still getting gas, going down the road like a missile, yer gonna be responsible for anything that happens, any other biker etc, it runs into.

I just use a throttle lock for a very short period, get feeling back in my hand, then flick it off. In our very litigious society... something to think about.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like a low tension throttle, too. I always reduce the spring tension on my bikes that have carburetors. Originally, I wanted to do the same thing with the DL650. After examining the spring mechanism I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

I must have gotten used to the tension because it doesn't seem to bother me anymore. Of course my cruise control is engaged more often than its not. ;)

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I think the point was to show there are other options for throttle locks other than for throttle locking. GW suggested grip puppies, but the OP has already tried that option. Viewing the parts diagram, it shows torsion springs are used as throttle return springs, so a SIMPLE spring swap is out of the question.
Maybe YOU have a suggestion?:frown:
Introducing friction to the throttle would make it harder to operate and more tiring riding twisty roads, with throttle response dergraded to the point of dangerous.

If larger diameter grips (as GW suggested) aren't enough of a mechanical advantage, I'd say leave them as is - for eveyones sake.

No, I have no suggestions except for what NOT to do. (which the OP already knows) :mrgreen:

Good post by AzItLies.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
Just make sure it's only used on a smooth road surface (no dips, bumps, pot holes, ect) or you may experience a burst of unexpected acceleration - at the worst possible time.
thats what nice about a throttle rocker or other similar products, its eazy enuf to spin the lever out of useful position, (at least for me, I got big paws xxxl-xxxxl gloves, I can easily grip the throttle tightly between my forefinger & thumb and with the heel of my hand, push the rocker down so that my hand no longer rests on it in normal position )

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the reply's every one. Anyone know if its possible to purchase the return springs on the throttle bodies?

·
38,104 Posts
Thanks for all the reply's every one. Anyone know if its possible to purchase the return springs on the throttle bodies?
No. The throttle body is sold as an assembly. Only the numbered parts can be ordered.

·
Administrator
17,225 Posts
I wouldnt mess with it, come ride my C14 and you will think the throttle spring on the Wee is very light. Do some wrist curls, do some hand strengthening exercises.....the return spring is not stiff on the Vstroms. And a big plus 1 to the throttle rocker, works great and easy to move out of the way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts