StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know for certain if Throttle Position Sensors fail fairly frequently? This is in regard to my earlier thread (rant).

I'm looking for proof positive, not rumour.

Anyone?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I can say I've probably seen double figure in reports of replacements solving problems. However, those problems are almost always a failure to idle properly after a long ride.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
They will all fail eventually. It's a pretty crappy sensor -- low quality and/or badly designed. Many riders simply haven't reached the mileage where their TPS fails, but it will.

Same as with the DL1000 fuel filter -- what brain-damaged engineer thought that a fuel filter the size of a pack of gum would be sufficient? It's absolutely doomed to clog.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
So why is it we rarely if ever see any STPS's go bad? They are basically the same as the TPS, getting abou the same amount of action. Are they going bad with the same frequency but no one is noticing as they perhaps send less relevant information to the ECU thereby causing less problems when bad? I've been pondering this for a while now.

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
fwiw, my original TPS was replaced about 8000 miles ago @ 63k now I'm at 71k and I think mine is faulty as well, its intermittent, and the crank the throttle full open and release a half dozen times or so to sweep it trick seems to make it go away for a while

when I am making my own pace, it runs well, when I am stuck at the pace of traffic, is when it has issues, luckily, most of my riding is traffic free

I haven't had the time to check it myself and I know if I drop it at dealer, they will likely just wanna replace it

Janice, fwiw, I wish I had a fixed income, at least I would have an income

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
657 Posts
So why is it we rarely if ever see any STPS's go bad? They are basically the same as the TPS, getting abou the same amount of action. Are they going bad with the same frequency but no one is noticing as they perhaps send less relevant information to the ECU thereby causing less problems when bad? I've been pondering this for a while now.
Heat kills electrics, from stators to TP sensors. The STPS is located high on a metal heat sink (throttle body). The TPS is mounted
low, very close to the heat source. At first, my TPS would only malfunction when the engine was hot from sustained riding.

Perhaps attaching a small, finned heat sink using thermal compound, like on a computer chip, would give a TPS longer life. Or
re-mount it using insulating gasket material. I thought of trying this but it's such a PIA taking everything off to get at it easily
and then get it adjusted. I decided new TPS and do it once since the original lasted 60K miles.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
This may seem like a dumb question to some of you, but what are the symptoms of a bad TPS?

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Does anyone know for certain if Throttle Position Sensors fail fairly frequently? This is in regard to my earlier thread (rant).

Anyone?
I was in the exact same frame of mind about a year or two ago with rare intermittent idling issues at about 35,000 miles.

No one could prove to me what the problem was (or wasn't).
I tested the TPS on the workbench according to the shop manual and it looked good.

The TPS is well buried under the tank.
Crash bars sure didn't help the situation either.

I believe it was Greywolf that convinced me to "just change it".

New TPS went in and all problems went away.
That was ten thousand miles ago and she still idles like a kitten.

To me that was proof positive.
-Ej-

·
Registered
926 Posts
...those problems are almost always a failure to idle properly after a long ride.
I encountered this problem at the end of last year (about 11 months ago). I still haven't fixed it, since the problem only arises during very long rides on very hot days, which for me are quite rare. I might get around to fixing it this xmas before it becomes a more serious problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Stator failure

How about a poll to find out the rate of stator failures. And include if you have more electrical farkles or stock. So:
Vee or Wee?
Has your failed?
How many miles?
Do you have lots of electrical draw, like heated grips,heated gear,lights etc?

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

Anyone?
I got back from a 2.5 day 1700 mile ride a few weeks ago. I noticed that about mid throttle or so the bike would fall flat on its face and just loose all acceleration. :furious: The TPS was the first thing I thought of since it failed in 2015 on me. I checked both the ohms and the voltage today and I am getting a glitch from mid to full throttle. My bike is a K4 DL1000 and has been nothing but a big bucket of problems.

Every now and then it'll run right and WOWEE it's like a different experience.
And FWIW, you don't need to disassemble anything to change the sensor, just a security torx, extension, paperclip and a flashlight.
-Warren

1 - 13 of 13 Posts