StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a throttle lock that will be compatible with Suzuki hand guards. any suggestions?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've been eyeing the Kaoko from Twisted Throttle. There are several good threads on throttle locks that can be found through the search feature on the forum.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
phatguy in Cbus
182 Posts
I installed the NEP. Works as good as any and cost me $20.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Kaoko. Google it or look on the Twisted Throttle website.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed the NEP. Works as good as any and cost me $20.
my reservation with the NEP is that its only $20 and it seems like everything I've seen on them is that people have had to cobble rig it on there to get it to function properly. one of those "ya get what ya pay for" type things.

I want something I'll only have to put on once, then never have to worry about it again.

will most throttle locks be compatible with hand guards?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kaoko. Google it or look on the Twisted Throttle website.
do you use this? how easy is it to engage? being on the end of the handlebar it seems like it would be a little hard to get used to?

maybe I'm way off here

·
Registered
246 Posts
do you use this? how easy is it to engage? being on the end of the handlebar it seems like it would be a little hard to get used to?

maybe I'm way off here
I've read positive reviews on using the Kaoko on ADV. Would love to hear KZDon's experience as well. :ears

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
53 Posts
Odd timing as I just walked in from the garage having installed my NEP CC-4. I haven't ridden with it yet, but I did like the $17.50 + shipping and the installation was trivial.

I did notice that even when unlocked it provides enough friction to keep the throttle from springing back to off - which isn't good IMHO. I'd hate to wipe out when off-roading and have the engine stay running at 5K RPM. Hopefully this only needs to be adjusted or wear in.

Be careful when selecting your throttle lock as the heated grips expand and can cause other throttle locks to jam (so I've read). This is why I selected the NEP CC-4.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I used the NEP CC4 on my '07 Vee with heated grips for 10,000 miles over a year and a half, and never had any problems in hot or cold with or w/o heat. Worked perfect all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
at most bike shops

check the Thibalt catalog for a 22mm or 7./ inch universal cruise control
part # 0069922B retail cost of about $17

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have had my Kaoko for almost 3 years and I love it. Had a Throttlemeister on my Connie so I was already use to that type of throttle lock. Doesn't take long to get use to.

·
Registered
249 Posts
diy throttle lock

might be too magyver for you, but one $0.99 U-bolt and a small piece of bamboo goes a long way

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the kaoke and it is good but before that I just put an O-ring between the bar end and the grip and it worked fine. Not saying it worked better but if I had it to do over again, I would have saved the $100 for something else.

·
Registered
171 Posts

maybe I'm way off here
The Kaoko works very well. I've been using mine for two years. It resides between bar end hand guard mount and the throttle tube but takes up very little space and once installed it is hardly noticeable.:thumbup:

The Kaoko is a quality piece hardware but expensive. Listed at $120 on Twisted Throttle web site here. :yikes: You can see how many bikes it is available for - with or without hand guards.

I have never had any problems with it even when the bike tipped over and the right bar struck the ground hard. It is perfectly safe to use and has performed flawlessly. It has never failed to unlock - it does so whenever I back off the throttle. I control it with my right "pinky" finger. In only a few degrees of rotation I roll it back to tighten and forward to loosen, although, I do have to squeeze the wheel a bit to get it to tighten snuggly. My "pinky is plenty strong enough to deal with it. I just do it automatically without having to look at it or think about it much. :mod2_clap:

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
Odd timing as I just walked in from the garage having installed my NEP CC-4. I haven't ridden with it yet, but I did like the $17.50 + shipping and the installation was trivial.

I did notice that even when unlocked it provides enough friction to keep the throttle from springing back to off - which isn't good IMHO. I'd hate to wipe out when off-roading and have the engine stay running at 5K RPM. Hopefully this only needs to be adjusted or wear in.

Be careful when selecting your throttle lock as the heated grips expand and can cause other throttle locks to jam (so I've read). This is why I selected the NEP CC-4.
I have about 123,000 miles on my NEP CC-4 on my 2006 and bought one for my new 2012.

I found on the 06 it was important to use two zip ties to attach it. One was around the throttle area and the other was from that one to the CC4. This avoided the unit twisting so it worked flawlessly. Once I installed it I never had to touch it again. I know i posted a picture in a previous thread years ago that would illustrate it. You can adjust the tension it applies and if mounted properly you won't have to fiddle once it is set up.

I think it works very intuitively as when I lock it I move the over down in the same direction that the throttle is opened and release it in the same way the throttle is closed.

I never understood why people spent more than the cost of this unit.

..Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
My vote is for the NEP CC4

I have one and it is the bomb. Just roll the grip back at the inside edge, put the CC4 around the throttle area,and tie wrap it to one of the throttle cable tubes. The best $ 20 I spent.:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

maybe I'm way off here
I've had the Kaoko on for three seasons. I tried one of the NEP throttle locks but could not make it fit and work with the OEM hand guards and OEM heated grips.

The Kaoko is simple and elegant. It is a straight replacement for the right side bar-end weight. You engage it by either using your pinkie to wind it toward you, or reaching over with your left hand (and no, I've never found that to be a safety problem). It works by friction, and is infinitely adjustable. Once locked I usually roll it off a little so if anything weird does happen, closing the throttle is easy. Disengagement is done by rolling it away from you - also easy to get used to.

I use it regularly at highway speeds. It allows me to take my hand off the throttle for a little stretch now and then, and otherwise I find I can relax my hand a little more. I tend to leave my hand on the throttle anyway.

Because it is a throttle lock and not a cruise control you still have to keep an eye on your speed. It doesn't stay constant unless the road is straight and flat.

The short answer is I would buy it again for another bike even though it is rather spendy, and riding without it leads to cramped hands at ride's end.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
might be too magyver for you, but one $0.99 U-bolt and a small piece of bamboo goes a long way
:thumbup:

one of my riding buddies uses a coat hanger on his vfr. I'm very well versed in the McGyver tricks!

I'm just looking for something a little more legit.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I have one and it is the bomb. Just roll the grip back at the inside edge, put the CC4 around the throttle area,and tie wrap it to one of the throttle cable tubes. The best $ 20 I spent.:thumbup:
Would your bike have the same throttle and throttle housing as the 2012 Wee? My last Wee was a 2004, and my last Vee was a 2007. The CC4 worked fine with the '07 1000, but I'm not sure it is compatible with the new 650. It looks like they are the same in your photo, but I am not that familiar with the newer Wee stuff.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts