StromTrooper banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another vote for the Go Cruise. I bought the cheaper (non-adjustable) plastic one, and sometimes it does slip slowly over time so your speed decreases slightly, but I find I don't like not having my right hand on the handlebars for too long, so it works out fine. As Oxblood said; simple, cheap and easy to use.

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
I use Throttlemeisters or Kaokos on all my bikes. Not a fan of throttle locks that take up grip space since most bike grips are already too narrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Previous owner of my Vee put a BrakeAway on it. Let me tell you. I love the thing.

My biggest peeve of all other throttle locks, including the $15 one I got off Amazon for my Ninja 400, was that it's stuck on if you have to quickly react in an emergency situation. Sure, I read plenty of commants saying they would just roll the throttle off manually or pull the clutch in and let the bike rev out, but I wasn't having any of that absolute BS. If the Vee didn't have the BrakeAway installed already, I would've kept looking until I found a bike with electronic cruise control.

·
Registered
2015 650XT
198 Posts
I have the GoCruise, and it definitely works, but I've had some trouble figuring out how best to loosen/tighten the little metal dial that allow you to rotate the lock into and out of place. Are people doing it with their throttle hand thumb or index finger? Or are you holding the throttle steady with your right hand, then using your left to loosen/tighten? I just took a long trip, and used it a couple times, but on a few occasions, really struggled to get it loosened and tightened. Probably just need to practice using it more.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I have the GoCruise, and it definitely works, but I've had some trouble figuring out how best to loosen/tighten the little metal dial that allow you to rotate the lock into and out of place. Are people doing it with their throttle hand thumb or index finger? Or are you holding the throttle steady with your right hand, then using your left to loosen/tighten? I just took a long trip, and used it a couple times, but on a few occasions, really struggled to get it loosened and tightened. Probably just need to practice using it more.
Never used one, but I thought that wheel was to make the preset "slip" adjustment so the thing would have enough pressure on the grip to hold position but still let you rotate it by pushing it down onto the brake lever with your index finger. Like I said, I never used one.

Reactions: Oxblood

·
Registered
2015 650XT
198 Posts
Never used one, but I thought that wheel was to make the preset "slip" adjustment so the thing would have enough pressure on the grip to hold position but still let you rotate it by pushing it down onto the brake lever with your index finger. Like I said, I never used one.
You may be right. I viewed the wheel more as the "lock"....as in you lock it in the "non-cruise" position by loosening the wheel enough that you can easily rotate it to where you want it, and then tighten the wheel to lock it in that position. Same with when you want to put it in the "cruse" position.

But maybe I am supposed to be keeping it snug enough to not move on its own, but loose enough that I can put it in/out of cruise mode.

Anybody got any insight?

·
Registered
773 Posts
The set screw is not for locking the lever. It is for finding the right amount of friction that will allow you to engage the lock. The friction then holds it in place. To disengage it is simple. Pull in the clutch lever and roll off the throttle. To engage, you use your thumb to push the lever forward until it hits the brake lever. The friction between the device and the throttle handle holds the throttle at the desired speed. The set screw merely allows you to adjust for the diameter of your throttle grip.

·
Administrator
15,003 Posts
I rode 235,000 km on my 2015 DL1000 using a GoCruise. I used a bit of Aircraft wire to snug it up.

Not a replacement for actual cruise but very helpful on giving throttle hand a little break.

(But I love the actual factory cruise on m yDL1050.)

..Tom

·
Registered
2015 650XT
198 Posts
The set screw is not for locking the lever. It is for finding the right amount of friction that will allow you to engage the lock. The friction then holds it in place. To disengage it is simple. Pull in the clutch lever and roll off the throttle. To engage, you use your thumb to push the lever forward until it hits the brake lever. The friction between the device and the throttle handle holds the throttle at the desired speed. The set screw merely allows you to adjust for the diameter of your throttle grip.
Okay. So it sounds like I’m using mine incorrectly. Good to know. It will be MUCH more useful, if I’m not trying to adjust the set screw thing while riding! LOL

·
Premium Member
2015 CB300F
6,327 Posts
The silicon ring is realy important to keeping the throttle lock working properly so it provides the correct friction.
However it is too much pain to remove Barkbusters etc to put the ring on ....
My solution was a few wraps of silicone tape over the grips.
Was skeptical of the original Go Cruise as it slipped but with the aluminum body and tightening screw it is a much improved product . Easy to use while riding and easy to move between bikes.
Make sure you get the GC2 and in aluminum.
Font Bicycle part Metal Electric blue Composite material

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have 2 of the plastic Go Cruise, one on my Strom and one on my DR650 for longer road sections. Cheap, simple and easily removable. I didn't see the need for the aluminum version since the $16 plastic one works.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts