StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to ride with a throttle lock. So what kind is good and inexpensive for the vstrom 650. I've the Vistas and then on my Burgman I have the throttmeister which cost close to $180. Vistas are less that $50. What do you all think?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My V strom came with a plastic throttle lock held on with Velcro, I didn't work for me. I'm looking at other types, but the are a lot more money.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
VistaCruise works for me - fiddly to get set up on the Strom but easiest in my view to use.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,212 Posts
I have owned the Throttlemeister, kaoko, NEP and had one Vista Cruise. The bar end types are expensive. Therefore you are forced to say you like them and that they are way better. I have found them all to be hard to activate and they always seem to need adjustment to work just right. The thumb style like the NEP and Vista cruise are instant on and always hold a lot better than the bar end type. However, I have not owned an NEP or Vista Cruise that didn't require a mechanical engineer to mount. Seems they never make one for the bike I have and I have to make them fit. But a throttle lock sure is nice to have, no matter what way you go.

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Very happy with the Kaoko after 1 week of use. It's effective, unobtrusive and does not reduce the width of the throttle grip.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
However, I have not owned an NEP or Vista Cruise that didn't require a mechanical engineer to mount.
yup....fiddly assed things but sweet once it's done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Vista on mine. I only use it for a couple minutes at a time to stretch my hand on long rides. If it was something I would have on for more then a couple minutes, I think I'd spend more on the Kaoko or all out electronic.

·
#motoref
224 Posts
Kaoko is by far the best i've ever used. You pay for it, but man it's flawless.

·
Registered
859 Posts
For years I rode with that big fat yellow Caterpillar O-ring as a speed control. It just works.
But my new Glee has a wide gap twixt the bar end and the handle wider than the oring so it doesn't work.
It occurs to me that if you got some aftermarket grips with ends that need trimming, and left them a little long the oring would work.
That said I just picked up a Kaoko from a member here as they make good stuff. Operates on the same principle as the oring as do most "cruise controls" for bikes.;)

·
Premium Member
4,201 Posts
I've tried to use the NEP but I didn't have a mechanical engineering degree and could never get it mounted right and gave up. Tried the Go Cruise and Omni-Cruise and both started to slip after a time and I had to cut back on the grip puppies to fit, but at least I could install them.

Finally got a Kaoko. Easy to install and holds. It is a bit fiddly to set and take some practice and getting use to. But it holds. It is not a cruise control though and needs to be adjusted (as all locks do) as the terrain changes but the friction is just enough to make it easy to do and still hold the new setting.

One Kaoko installation note: after installing the Kaoko I found the compression bolt head lying on the garage floor. It had snapped off. I did not think I had torqued it down that hard but maybe.... I picked up a steel bolt from Ace Hardware and it has performed fine. The original bolt was passed on to Twisted Throttle and photos sent to Kaoko. The thought is it is/was just a fluke, a manufacturing flaw in the bolt.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I spent money on a Kaoko for my FZ6 and wasn't impressed for the money. Especially when you consider that for an extra 70 dollars you could have a true cruise control from Rostra. Granted it's a much more complex to install.

My gripe with the Kaoko was the engagement and disengagement. I could never perfect using my pinky to roll the unit on and off and had to resort to pulling in the clutch and coasting of while I engaged it then setting the throttle after that. Same for turning it "off"

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 20 of 23 Posts