StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a little over 800 miles on the bike in the past three days and the only thing that bothered me was not having a throttle lock, hand got pretty cramped up. Anyone have a good recommendation? I prefer one that can be "adjusted" so that it'll stay where set while cruising, but can be manually closed if needed, rather than having to press a lever etc in case of emergency.

Of course, the less expensive, the better. The one I have on my '88 BMW K75 works like a dream. It's nothing but a nylon tipped knurled set screw that you turn in to the desired friction; extremely low tech, cost about $10.00, installed and works perfectly!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yep. that's what I use. Unfortunately, I have the do not use one. I can see how an adjuster is the way to go and will prolly drill it to take a slim screw.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I have the 20.00 plastic version (GoCruise). Works fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
KAOKO Throttle Lock

Anyone tried the kyoko one?
I just installed the KAOKO throttle lock, SKU: VS 1000 UW, on my Vee2 and it installed and functioned without any modifications. It was really tight going inside the handle bar tube but it did go in without any reaming of the tube. Once I set the proper spacing before tightening the set screw, it worked just like it is suppose to do. I tried it out on a 150 mile loop yesterday to see how I liked it. It is awkward to use and I guess with enough experience, I could do it gracefully, but not yet. I ended up just setting it with enough drag so the throttle would stay put when I took my hand off, and then I adjusted the throttle position as needed along the way.

The KAOKO throttle lock is well made but over priced. They should include a matching bar end weight for the other side for the price they are charging, but they don't, and they don't match and it looks funny.

I had an NEP throttle lock on my '08 Vee and it worked way better than this KAOKO device and a whole lot cheaper. I have an NEP throttle lock on order for the Vee2 (although the company says they don't make one for it). I will have to figure out a way to secure it to the throttle cable housing, as I did with the '08 Vee, but I can do that.

Bottom line is that, for those that prefer the KAOKO throttle lock, the one they made for the previous generation DL1000, will fit the new Vee2 with no modifications.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim, thanks for your comments; helpful. Can you say a little more about why the Kaoko is awkward to use? As I said in my original post, I'm looking for one that I can adjust just to the point where the throttle remains where set, but the rider can turn it off/shut down in case of emergency without flipping a lever etc. Best of luck! Con

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jim, thanks for your comments; helpful. Can you say a little more about why the Kaoko is awkward to use? As I said in my original post, I'm looking for one that I can adjust just to the point where the throttle remains where set, but the rider can turn it off/shut down in case of emergency without flipping a lever etc. Best of luck! Con
The KAOKO throttle lock is awkward because it is very difficult to keep the throttle at the same setting (with three fingers), while cruising down the road, and then manipulate the tension of the throttle lock adjustment wheel at the same time with your little finger. I have pretty good dexterity but that is a little much for me. It got easier as the day went on but it is still awkward.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can anyone tell me the make/mfr. of this throttle lock....which resides on my wife's 09 Bandit 1250S

Throttle Lock Bandit.JPG

·
Premium Member
174 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have a thick wire bent around the grip like a spring and a thumb tab with the other end resting on the brake lever, I put heat shrink on it to aid grip and I operate it with just the thumb, cost..............20 mins of my time with a couple of trys. Works great at any speeds and all I do is twist the throttle off when I don't need it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The KAOKO throttle lock is awkward because it is very difficult to keep the throttle at the same setting (with three fingers), while cruising down the road, and then manipulate the tension of the throttle lock adjustment wheel at the same time with your little finger. I have pretty good dexterity but that is a little much for me. It got easier as the day went on but it is still awkward.
Gotta agree...I have one on my CBF1000.
OK once set and good for long hwy stuff, but off and on kind of fiddly.
The best I have used is the old Vista Cruise style that you simply flip a thumb lever/cam that friction locks the throttle.
I also have the cheaper version of the Omni Cruise.
It does work, but it take up some space on the grip and is kind of weird using your index finger to set. If you don't mind giving up some throttle grip real estate, I think that that thumb operated Omni Cruise would be just the ticket.
And , yes, IMHO the KAOKO is way over priced.
BTW, there is a new product out that is like the KAOKO that has a lever/lock that looks much less fiddly.
You preset the friction so that it is just loose, then flip the lever to increase friction to set throttle.
It is about the same price as the KAOKO...and I can't remember the name.
I am sure others have read about it and will pipe in.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have a Kaoko on stock DL650 bars with OEM hand guards and OEM heated grips. It's been on there for five years. It takes a little getting used to, but I find it elegant and simple. I tried an NEP throttle lock and could not make it work with the heated grips. I also tried the low tech thick rubber gasket method with no luck.

The Kaoko is spendy, but I've got good value out of it. And now I can set it and release it pretty easily with my little finger, although sometimes I reach over to set it with my left hand - depends on which gloves I have on. Being able to modulate the tension, and shut off the throttle quickly without having to release any levers are beneficial.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I used to have one like the Koako, the brand name escapes me right now. I think that I would prefer that style better than the other style shown. Yes it is awkward to set but you can change throttle position with it "locked", you could still cut the throttle with it tightened in an emergency. I recently, 3 months ago, put on heated grips and forgot to use locktite when I reinstalled the throttle lock and matching bar end. I ended up loosing the throttle lock, and now have the stock bar ends back on bike. If anyone wants to look, it is somewhere in southern Maine, on rt4... ;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 45 Posts