StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
This is what I use. I made it out of ABS plastic. It works fine for what it is (a chance to rest your throttle hand for a few moments), but it doesn't compare to an actual cruise control. On the plus side, it was cheap, since I had the plastic laying around.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Nice craftsmanship. You obviously put some care into not just function but also appearance.
Thank you very much, Dkayak. I confess I can't claim inspiration for the design; I saw the Omni cruise (I think that's what it was called) and figured I could make one pretty easily out of laminated plastic.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm using a vista cruise because I spent too much money to afford the Kaoko version at the moment. I put it on right before my recent 2900 mile trip through Fl, Ga, SC, NC, Va, & Tn. It worked fine on the way out bud failed to work reliably on the way back. The rubber inserts were too small for the small thin OEM grips so that I had to tighten the set screws too much. During the trip the set screws starting punching their way through the rubber insert it was applying pressure on, reducing tension and allowing it to rotate on the grip when engaged. In the mountain areas such throttle locks are pretty pointless in my opinion anyways but here in South Flatistan they are very useful. They are also very useful crossing other flatlands such as much of Tx, La, Ks, Ne, etc.

Upon returning home I made an arc of flat aluminum and then cut it into three pieces and used them as shims under the set screws. I made them out of one of the fins I busted off of the aluminum heat sinks form an old computer UPS I used to make the mounting brackets for my JCW top box. I'm glad I'd been too lazy to clean off my work bench. The throttle lock worked fine on this weekends 200 mile round trip to Dania Beach Fl.

I've used the universal vista cruise on a couple of other bikes and consider them adequate, but nothing more. I have the Throttlemeister on my old Connie. I like the Kaoko because it's easier to roll with the heel of your hand. I've looked at the Breakaway brand throttle lock too. It appears to be of very high quality and design (and expense) however it doesn't work with heated grips, which my wife has and I'm considering.

I'm toying with the idea of trying Murf's electronic cruise control. However, I would like to first try it on my wife's 09 Versys so I could steal her Kaoko throttle lock, that she's skeered of.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
There should have been 2 inserts in the package 1 thin and 1 thick rubber inserts. The thick one is what I used with the stock grips. When I installed a set of Oxford Heaterz grips I used the thin insert.

I'm using a vista cruise because I spent too much money to afford the Kaoko version at the moment. I put it on right before my recent 2900 mile trip through Fl, Ga, SC, NC, Va, & Tn. It worked fine on the way out bud failed to work reliably on the way back. The rubber inserts were too small for the small thin OEM grips so that I had to tighten the set screws too much. During the trip the set screws starting punching their way through the rubber insert it was applying pressure on, reducing tension and allowing it to rotate on the grip when engaged. In the mountain areas such throttle locks are pretty pointless in my opinion anyways but here in South Flatistan they are very useful. They are also very useful crossing other flatlands such as much of Tx, La, Ks, Ne, etc.

Upon returning home I made an arc of flat aluminum and then cut it into three pieces and used them as shims under the set screws. I made them out of one of the fins I busted off of the aluminum heat sinks form an old computer UPS I used to make the mounting brackets for my JCW top box. I'm glad I'd been too lazy to clean off my work bench. The throttle lock worked fine on this weekends 200 mile round trip to Dania Beach Fl.

I've used the universal vista cruise on a couple of other bikes and consider them adequate, but nothing more. I have the Throttlemeister on my old Connie. I like the Kaoko because it's easier to roll with the heel of your hand. I've looked at the Breakaway brand throttle lock too. It appears to be of very high quality and design (and expense) however it doesn't work with heated grips, which my wife has and I'm considering.

I'm toying with the idea of trying Murf's electronic cruise control. However, I would like to first try it on my wife's 09 Versys so I could steal her Kaoko throttle lock, that she's skeered of.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah, and I did use the thick one. I feel my fix is an improvement anyways.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use a Kaoko in combination with BarkBuster handguards. The Kaoko moves the right handguard about an inch to the right, so it made clearing the master brake cylinder difficult until I purchased an additional piece to allow the handguard to clear the brake line. Once I got arounnd the mounting issue the throttle lock solution has been flawless.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
This one I made for my 2008 wee

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Vista cruise is AWESOME, love mine to death and works like a charm.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I think for what the Kaoko's cost, I'd just spring for an electronic cruise control.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think for what the Kaoko's cost, I'd just spring for an electronic cruise control.
What kind of electronic cruise control are you talking about? The Rostra is $240 and seems pretty complicated to install. The Kaoko may be on the pricey side (~$125) for a throttle lock, but it's simple to install and use.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
The Audiovox electronic cruise control is $189 on Amazon. $115 is a lot for a mechanical friction lock for a throttle; once you hit that price point, I'd rather spend the additional $75 for a bona fide cruise control. That's just me, of course: after all, I'm the guy who made his own plastic throttle lock LOL.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The Audiovox is also a lot more complicated to install and has little support as it's designed for automobiles, not motorcycles. That said, I will probably try to install one at some point.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That thought has crossed my mind - especially when making adjustments on up and downhill slopes. It's been a while since I reviewed the Rostra installation instructions, but as I recall, the install seems like a PITA. The throttle lock is as straight-forward as it gets.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
That thought has crossed my mind - especially when making adjustments on up and downhill slopes. It's been a while since I reviewed the Rostra installation instructions, but as I recall, the install seems like a PITA. The throttle lock is as straight-forward as it gets.
That's pretty much why I stick with a throttle lock; sheer simplicity. It would be nice to have the benefits of an actual cruise control, but there are other accessories I'd rather spend the money on, and a throttle lock suits the kind of riding I do. If I end up buying an FJR, though, I'll be glad that it has a factory cruise control.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I simply use a bmw airhead oil filter o-ring between the grip and the switch housing, provides just enough tension, and cost nothing. I was going to use it till I got around to buying a proper tension device, but I see no need to replace it now, been doing the job for 5000 miles. if it wears out, I'll just replace it with another.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts