StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says. I am going to eventually put Barkbuster VPS on the XT, and would like to also add a throttle lock. Not sure which throttle lock will work with the Barkbusters though, or if that is even a concern. Any advise is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
+1 Go Cruise works great.

Most easily adjusted throttle lock I've had (Kaoko, Throttlemeister and another one I can't remember the name of.)

And the Go Cruise is MUCH cheaper as well.

.........shu

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But.... does the Go Cruise work with Barkbusters? I ask as I have read that there can be a running issue with some of the Throttle lockers, though I cannot remember which is which.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like the look and functionality of the brakeAway, but fitment issues I assume abound.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'll add my support for the Go-Cruise style throttle lock (I think another version is sold under the "Omni-Cruise" name). The tension adjustment is a very nice feature, it can accomodate different size grips and grip covers, and the thumb lever makes it easy to engage and disengage (or you can just roll the throttle forward to disengage it). I had a homemade one on my V-Strom; it wasn't as good as cruise control of course, but it worked well.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I know some of you have cheap and tight in your names but seems not so! Told of my throttle lock before.Cheap,and free if right throw away stuff around. Take the plastic lock off a old jacket,hood,etc that has a pull and lock string .Any thing that will go through it will work.I use the old rubber that usually splits when you replace screens in storm windows.The old rubber piece that splits in two most the time is just right,rain water does not hurt it.Good thing you can put on with out taking any thing off.Just warp a piece around inside end of throttle rubber and base of control side.thread the two ends in to the plastic lock.Cut off part not needed.Now hold in and tighten till right feel and let go of lock button. Feels just like the old friction knob Harley had for years and some Honda's. You can take back off fast if needed and make a spare to throw in tank bag.I like them lots better than the O-rings and factory stops I had before. Have gave some away and they love them.:wink2:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not care for cheap to be honest. I want quality, safe, and made to last. A motorcycle, IMHO, is the last place folks should be penny pinching. That's just for me though, I realize not everyone has the same life experiences. If cheap works for you, great. I wish it did for me, but experience has taught me that cheap is rarely the right solution for me.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
But.... does the Go Cruise work with Barkbusters? I ask as I have read that there can be a running issue with some of the Throttle lockers, though I cannot remember which is which.
The GoCruise 2 is inexpensive solution that works and is well engineered.

Cheap is not the same thing....

BrakeAway is way too fiddly and way too expensive.

I did not like the way it was hard to change the lock point compared to friction types...and sometimes it would jump out of lock.

Kaoko is very well made and looks good ....expensive and a bit hard to use and maybe harder yet with BB.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've got an aftermarket Audiovox electronic cruise control. It was already in place when I got the bike so I have no idea how easy/hard it is to install. This is the first bike with a cruise control of any kind for me, works great and I really like it plus it doesn't interfere with the barkbusters.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would go that route if it was an option. As my bike has a 5 year warranty, I am not messing with that. After the warranty. Hmmmmmmmm

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I would go that route if it was an option. As my bike has a 5 year warranty, I am not messing with that. After the warranty. Hmmmmmmmm

You won't invalidate your warranty working on or modifying your bike.

The only concern is if you did something that could be attributed to a failure. Like forgot to put oil in the bike and burned up the motor.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You won't invalidate your warranty working on or modifying your bike.

The only concern is if you did something that could be attributed to a failure. Like forgot to put oil in the bike and burned up the motor.
You willing to put money on that? As long as I am under warranty, this motorcycle is serviced exclusively by Suzuki. I do not want to have any issues with warranty. And yes. You can invalidate your warranty installing after market components that have a chance to cause other damage. The cruise control ties in with a few bike systems. If there is a fault in the cruise control circuitry and it damages the bike, do you think the aftermarket vendor is going to willingly pay for my damages? At least not without a huge fight. No thanks.
My money, my rules.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
You willing to put money on that? As long as I am under warranty, this motorcycle is serviced exclusively by Suzuki. I do not want to have any issues with warranty. And yes. You can invalidate your warranty installing after market components that have a chance to cause other damage. The cruise control ties in with a few bike systems. If there is a fault in the cruise control circuitry and it damages the bike, do you think the aftermarket vendor is going to willingly pay for my damages? At least not without a huge fight. No thanks.
My money, my rules.

Certainly you can do your own maintenance under warranty. Modifications also.

In the US the Magnum Moss Warranty Act protects the consumer.

The Consumer Protection Acts
in each province are the Canadian equivalent to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The law in Canada also states that a manufacturer cannot require a consumer to use OEM parts under the threat of voiding warranty. This practice is referred to as “tied selling” and is in direct violation of the Canadian Competition Act due to its anti-competitive nature.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Certainly you can do your own maintenance under warranty. Modifications also.

In the US the Magnum Moss Warranty Act protects the consumer.

The Consumer Protection Acts
in each province are the Canadian equivalent to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The law in Canada also states that a manufacturer cannot require a consumer to use OEM parts under the threat of voiding warranty. This practice is referred to as “tied selling” and is in direct violation of the Canadian Competition Act due to its anti-competitive nature.
That is not the concern. The issue is if you add aftermarket accessories, that can loosely be tied to another fault on the bike, you are on the hook. Sure, you can go fight it in court, with lawyers... How much time and money do you want to waste. I have been there, done that. My life experiences have taught me, that sometimes you need to take the path of least BS. Sure, having a dealership install say, an electronic cruise control might be expensive, but so is having to fight with a multinational company.

Again, to each his own. I prefer to live with the moto: "Do I want to be right? Or do I want to be happy?"

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My money, my rules.
I understand where you're coming from. I had a warranty claim on the V2, but before they would even consider it I had to "prove" that all the regular maintenance had been performed (which I had done myself). At the time it had only had its first oil change, and had a non-factory filter on it. That seemed to me it would be proof enough, but they wanted receipts for oil and filter. Well, who thinks to keep that? (Me, now.) Fortunately I had bought it at Cycle Gear and they just went back in the computer and printed me a receipt - that was good enough for the dealer. Had I not been able to produce a receipt, at a minimum there would have been a major fight to get warranty repairs, and maybe not even at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts