StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
13,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the NEP throttle lock will work on the 2012 DL650?

(I forget the model.. CC4 I think worked on earlier ones.)

..Tom

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here's a good thread for you to check re NEP.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-modifications-performance/42477-nep-throttle-lock-install.html

The vista cruise and the nep look for the throttle cables to be at the bottom of the housing. If they are not, you'll have to improvise.

It's really not that hard, and there are many creative ways to make it happen. I've fashioned numerous brackets out of sheet metal and attached them very securely with 3M Trim Tape.

It's actually kind of a fun project and you can take satisfaction in it.

Did this recently for my fjr:

·
Administrator
13,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link but note that one of the posts in there was my post on how I mounted it on my 2006 DL650. (Still my preferred method: two zip ties and done in 30 seconds.)

My question relates to the new 2012 DL650: has anything changed at the throttle housing so that the NEP CC4 can no longer be used?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
201 Posts
sorry, didn't see that.

I'd ask in the aussie forum, pretty sure they are the only ones that can answer re changes in that regard...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have zero knowledge about throttle locks, but I do have a 2012 DL650. If pics will help I can take some close ups for you. If so, reply here or PM me and I'm happy to oblige.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That looks like the earlier years too. The |\ ridge on the throttle tube has the grip over it. Changing the grip to an after market type that exposes the ridge or cutting the OEM grip inside end creates a perfect place for the CC4.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Thanks Pat,

I'm probably going to put HotGrips on it first thing so that may free up some room.

..Tom
That's what I have. I tapered the end of the HotGrip to better fit against the ridge and the gap between ridge and switch housing was perfect for the CC4.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi Tom
I have the 2012 and oxford heated grips I also got the cc4 and the vista universal off my old bike I can tell you the don't fit no matter how hard you try.
I will be taking the cc4 back for a refund.
I did get the koako and it does fit haven't rode with it yet installed today.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I believe you can make the NEP cruise control fit. It has not been a simple process. The NEP cc02 seems a better choice than a cc04 for the 2012. You will have to do some cutting on the 2012 throttle tube and a bunch of grinding/filing on the NEP cc02. The cc04 will likely work as well, but will significanly increase your filing/grinding time and does not fit the throttle cable as tightly.

I hope to do an install report once I get it all sorted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts