StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it very irritating and distracting that the throttle grip on my 2014 vstrom 650 moves side up to down on the handle bar about 2 to 3mm and back again. This looseness is very distracting when trying to ride in any sort of terrain as it distracts concentration. Is there a fix ? anyone experience this ?

thanks George

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Thanks for that, in my situation its not the rotation that is the problem. The entire throttle slide move side to side about 3mm before hitting stops . So not the rotation but the actually slides too much...

interesting idea ....

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I find it very irritating and distracting that the throttle grip on my 2014 vstrom 650 moves side up to down on the handle bar about 2 to 3mm and back again. This looseness is very distracting when trying to ride in any sort of terrain as it distracts concentration. Is there a fix ? anyone experience this ?

thanks George

All the motorcycles I've ridden have a bit of horizontal throttle slop. Have to really to be sure they don't get hung up.

2-3 mm is close to the minimum I would think. How are the throttle cable adjustments? Can you take out some slop there, might help with the overall feel.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Looking thru my 2017 service manual, there doesn't seem to be any method of horizontal adjustment or run-out spec for the throttle grip. Mine has about 2~mm horizontal play as well. The rubber grip rides on an inner sleeve that appears to hold the grip in place by a retaining ring(s) of some sort, which is not visible. The drawings & photos don't show any detail of the parts involved for the grip itself.
Kind of a long way around, but maybe you could go to a Suzuki Dealer and check out the play on a new bike to see if perhaps yours is wearing out. There may be a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) covering this as well.

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The stem that the handgrip is attached to is about 20 mm in diameter , so if I put a circlip or snap ring on this with a thickness of 2 3 mm then maybe i can get it to stop shimming on very bumpy rods ?

just as a note my 81 Honda cb750f has absolutely no slop in the right hand throttle grip, for me that's nice..

ok I added an eclip, they were on sale ! $3.00 for a set 5/8 inch they had no metric . The green lines point to it in the picture.

This reduced 80% of the slop... another one may be needed ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts