StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from a nice Sunday round of wind therapy and noticed my right thumb is really hurting. Not the first time its did this. My throttle hand tends to get some pretty good fatigue after about 45 minutes in the saddle. Mainly in the base of the the thumb. Anyone else have this ? And what may help ? suggestions ? Thanks !

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Yup ....both throttle lock like GoCruise2 and a cramp buster will help.

I prefer the crampbuster with the velcro strap

the thumb wheel is important.

Grip puppies help sore hands as well.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You could try a crampbuster - this will allow you to hold the throttle with your palm on top of the throttle once you're going. Also helpful is some sort of throttle lock where you can take your hand off the throttle on flat roads to stretch and give your hand a short break. Go Cruise works well, is easy to engage/disengage and is reasonably priced.

Another issue might be grip size/glove thickness. Maybe too fat or too skinny for your taste? Do you have vibration in the bars or non-stock bar ends? Just throwing out some random ideas.

Mac beat me to it!

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
Gripping too hard likely, look into some grip buddies or grip puppies. The crampbuster and such are really handy, but I have found that grip diameter and type of glove really helps as well.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
tight glove will do your thumb in for sure

Reactions: west virginia rider

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
WOw, it got covered well. Tight gloves and the Go-cruise and Crampbuster. I use all three on both bikes. Well fitting gloves and the crampbuster set will let you just rest your hand on the throttle for cruising and if you wanna pick your nose or dig in the tank bag for travel snacks the Go-Cruise will hold your head of steam pretty well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Grip puppies with good gloves are magic; a light touch will hold throttle all day without a cramp. I ran a 240 mi loop Sat with Puppies and Sedici gloves, no cramps at all riding two hours at a stretch.

·
Administrator
5,716 Posts
All of these aids and suggestions will help but you need to consciously relax more, and change your grip now and then. On a straight and boring road grip with fingers only, or open and wriggle your fingers while holding the throttle with your palm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for all the input. I will look into everything suggested and see what works best for me. I had never heard of a couple of these things , thanks for sharing !

·
Registered
575 Posts
Along the same lines of what was suggested earlier, but a more streamlined design: Kaoka. https://euro.kaoko.com/ It does take a little more skill to engage those though, because you engage them with your pinky instead of thumb and index finger.

And another thing: If you have handguards in place, some may not work because they interfere with the handguard attachments. So check the compatibility with your specific handguards first.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
All of these aids and suggestions will help but you need to consciously relax more, and change your grip now and then. On a straight and boring road grip with fingers only, or open and wriggle your fingers while holding the throttle with your palm.
Yep, an awful lot of riders have a sort of unconscious death grip habit and blame vibration or all sorts of other ergonomic factors for hand issues.

Of course, I've never seen you ride and have no idea whether this describes you, but the cure or at least a large part of it could be free and fairly simple, although in practice it's never really all that simple to change a longstanding habit.

With the correct loose grip technique, you can ride a paint shaker all day with no hand problems. A bike as smooooooooooooth as a V-Strom should be no trouble at all for anyone.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
If it's Mr Arthur Itis, then Advil will help and a electronic cruise control will help more. I did the same as NateHarris and put a Rostra on and now won't ever have another road bike without one......Best $200 I ever spent.

Now it's my left thumb that aches.....gettin old-ER sucks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have trouble with th Go Cruise interfering with the OEM hand guards. Anyone else have that experience? Gripp Puppies installed. Kaoko lock looks nice and well made. My hand toughened in so I can go 2 hours no problem or at least long enough that my OEM seat starts to be a bigger problem.

kfh000

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
With the correct loose grip technique, you can ride a paint shaker all day with no hand problems. A bike as smooooooooooooth as a V-Strom should be no trouble at all for anyone.
guess you are in the younger set to say that. Hand issues don't necessarily result from the riding but gripping anything is hard for people with carpal tunnel.

Long term keeping your wrists straight and taking the throttle return pressure off helps anyone avoid hand issues developing.

I use Throttle rockers on both bars to keep my wrists straight....grip puppies make a larger grip surface so your fingers are not as curled.

Reactions: west virginia rider

·
Registered
355 Posts
I agree that any of the above might very well help solve your problem, especially the all-too- common death grip. I would add, though, that different bars may warrant consideration. I had a fair bit of hand discomfort with the stock bars. I opted for something with a good bit less sweep and I am much more comfortable now. Even on 1000+ mile days.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
+1

I need less pull-back on my bars or else I can't ride for hours. To the point that I bent the last set I am using now to mimic a set of Aluminum bars (I liked but could not fit the bar end weights properly and disliked the vibrations they transmitted). I even transplanted these bars from my WEE to my V2 to make sure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Subtle yet significant difference between a "Cramp Buster" and a "Throttle Lock" that you need to consider.

It's so much easier to adjust for different speeds with a throttle lock when riding as opposed to a Cramp buster. For that reason, and having used both, I now use a throttle lock all the time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts