StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow V-Strom Enthusiasts,

I am on the fence whether or not to fork out the cash for an electronic cruise control (MC Cruise), or go with the cheaper option and purchase a Kaoko throttle control. We are talking about a $500 difference. I was hoping if any of you can provide insight on your experiences or recommendations. Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
An electronic cruise control is so much better. It is easier to engage, disengages when the brake is applied, keeps the set speed regardless of down or up road angle changes and never vibrates down to a lower throttle opening. The cheaper option I would prefer is a Rostra or CCS100 Electronic CC. Both are far from plug and play though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the Rostra, about $250. The installation is straightforward if you follow the instructions in the CC thread, but long. It is more or less a full day to install.

I have used both a throttle lock and the Rostra. If you ride mostly on flat interstate, the throttle lock is sufficient. If you simply want brief respite for your right hand, the throttle lock is sufficient. If however, you want constant speed and freedom to move your right hand around, then an electronic cruise control is the way to go. After using one for over 80,000 miles on an '09 650, it was the first farkle I bought for the new '15 DL1000.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: realshelby

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am happy w/ the Kaoka, you have to be aware of inclines etc. to anticipate the+- of the speed, but that just keeps ya aware of the whole situation.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
My only reason for having a cruise control is to keep the police off my back.

I can set my speed then ignore the speedo, I will be within +or - 1kph of the set speed.

A throttle lock will give your right hand a break but it will not maintain a set speed.

Reactions: reasonable

·
Registered
90 Posts
It also works well on long curvy and hilly roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
To disengage a throttle lock you have to pull the clutch and turn the throttle all the way forward at the same time, not so easy to do in a panic situation, like if a deer suddenly appears or a ladder is on the road or something.

Does that ever happen? Likely not, but it could.

A real cruise control will maintain a set speed and you can +/- it which would be awesome, disadvantage being cost and installation.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hello my fellow V-Strom Enthusiasts,

I am on the fence whether or not to fork out the cash for an electronic cruise control (MC Cruise), or go with the cheaper option and purchase a Kaoko throttle control. We are talking about a $500 difference. I was hoping if any of you can provide insight on your experiences or recommendations. Thanks!
You've got a pretty good cross section of answers already. From my point of view if the money spent won't prevent you from getting something else you need, ... go all the way. Or if you care for simplicity get a thumb-lever mechanical throttle lock.

I have one bike with a electronic cruise. OEM BMW. Works as good or better than any you'd find in a car. All the others, including my V2, have the old style thumb lock. I never feel cheated by the simple ones. In fact I think they are just as easy to use and reaching down to add / remove a touch of speed is just as normal as checking my mirrors.

Which ever way you go it is worth it for long hauls not have the right side of your body handcuffed to one position.

Reactions: ptarmigan2 and RCE1

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
People just love to spend money. My $30 C clamp type has worked great for years. I was even just looking at that Torowhatzit chain oiler. $150+ Canadian. Think I'll just stick to sittin on the ground and cleaning and oiling before big rides.:laugh2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think you have plenty of good responses, and I'd probably go with one of the elec cruise options if the install wasn't daunting to someone of my skill level. But to comment on the "cheaper" options I've had the Kaoko now on two bikes including my V2 and I've found that on long days it tries to back itself off my handlebars if I use it too long holding 75+ mph. Something the Throttlemeister has not done in almost 14 years on my Honda ST13. Not sure if they make one for the V2 with handguards?

Its a pretty quick adjustment, but another allen key to carry in my tank bag and something I have to check at gas stops.

Ride Safe, TRM

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Maybe age has something to do with it? ...or maybe not. Always used throttle locks, and felt they were "adequate". Then, after somewhere near 400,000 miles I put a Rostra Electronic CC on my '07 DL650. Holeey crap, I am now officially spoiled and will never own another road bike without eeeee lec Tronic cruise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just installed a brakeaway device and love it, turns off with use of brakes and very easy to set. I would call it the in between option that is better than most, but not as great as electronic of course. But it works wonderful.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
When I had my Vee I used a cramp buster and a throttle lock. It was effective but not as safe as I liked. But, it allowed right wrist and shoulder rest.

As for cruise, it came standard on my second S10. I still use the same cramp buster. I will not be without CC again on any bike for any use. I used to not feel this way. I also avoid long, boring roads. But, I find myself setting the CC at low speeds, like 35 mph even, to give my wrist and especially shoulder muscles a break. I love it now. And for that interstate that we all need to ride every now and then CC makes it as nice as possible, still boring, but nice.

But, like I opened with, a throttle lock is better than nothing and 90% effective as a cruise control.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
Maybe age has something to do with it? ...or maybe not. Always used throttle locks, and felt they were "adequate". Then, after somewhere near 400,000 miles I put a Rostra Electronic CC on my '07 DL650. Holeey crap, I am now officially spoiled and will never own another road bike without eeeee lec Tronic cruise.
My next ADV bike will have it "factory", I am just not going to go through the hassle of installing aftermarket on my Strom......kudos to those that have. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
My next ADV bike will have it "factory", I am just not going to go through the hassle of installing aftermarket on my Strom......kudos to those that have. :smile2:
If you don't run off an buy that Duke:weapons_20:, pick a weekend this spring....I'll ride up and help you install a Rostra. You are going West right?.....sounds like you need a cruise:var_30:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've been farkling up my current Vee2 (almost done, I swear) and it is addicting. I've pretty much left all my previous bikes stock. Currently content with the Kaoko throttle lock for occasional use/relief. I loved the factory cruise on my K1200LT. I think if I ever decide I must have electric CC, it will come factory installed on my next new bike. A man's got to know his limitations!

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
If you don't run off an buy that Duke:weapons_20:, pick a weekend this spring....I'll ride up and help you install a Rostra. You are going West right?.....sounds like you need a cruise:var_30:
Has been a change of plans, heading West still but now not as far NW and W. Heading to the Ozarks, and possibly a bit further West depending on how I feel and the weather. Hmmmmmmm.........I may have to take you up on that, I do plan on keeping this Strom for quite some time. :fineprint:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've used both, and in my opinion, there is no comparison between cruise control and a throttle lock! It's a perfect example of getting what you pay for. If you invest the time and $$ in cruise, you will never regret it; if you go throttle lock, you will be at least a little dissatisfied every time you use it. At least I was.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts