StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, going across country and my throttle cable broke. Any ideas how to take off the tank of a 2013 v strom 650?

·
Registered
331 Posts
There is a sticky on lifting the tank. I understand it looks more complex than it is and you want to avoid breaking some little plastic parts. Confession, I have not lifted my 2013 650 tank but it is due for some items that require it. kfh000

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
the owners manual is a damn handy thing to have around. I know many aren't original owners and the owners manual is no longer with the bike but it is worth getting one from the dealer. it answers many questions that are often asked on here. Nothing wrong with asking questions here though...that's what the forum is for.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "pull" broke. Mr Stroker, an old school Harley guy in Sandusky fixed it. He said the cables weren't lubricated.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The "pull" broke. Mr Stroker, an old school Harley guy in Sandusky fixed it. He said the cables weren't lubricated.
The multistrand cable runs in a nylon/plastic tube, not meant to be lubed. Where exactly did the cable break, and was that part of cable rubbing against metal or plastic?

Mark

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the end of the cable there is a little stopper that connects with the handle.. That stopper broke off.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
At the end of the cable there is a little stopper that connects with the handle.. That stopper broke off.
That's why its critical to lube the clutch cable at this point. If the stopper (ferrule) doesn't rotate freely within the hole, the cable flexes instead and will eventually break.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That's why its critical to lube the clutch cable at this point. If the stopper (ferrule) doesn't rotate freely within the hole, the cable flexes instead and will eventually break.
Modern clutch cables have a teflon sleeve on the ferrule allowing it to rotate. (Still, a dab of grease won't hurt.) Throttle cable doesn't have this feature.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Sooooo, how did he 'fix' it? Curious minds want to know.
Solder*
*Requires skill like the old-school Harley obviously had.
If you are stranded and a long way from home and have no cell service and no hope ... You can make a temporary fixes.
One way is to turn the cable adjuster to maximum slack / Fray the end of the cable and "mush" in JB Weld Quick in to the hole from the side to form a new barrel. / Wipe smooth. The JB won't stick to the plastic throttle ring. Then nurse it back to that old Harley guys house.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts