StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You're making friends like crazy! Sounds like you've already got it all figured out. So, remind me why you started this thread? Sounds like you were just interested in getting others to agree with your ideas. Like others have said, results are all that matters. Have fun with your project...

I chose to go the route of having my ECU flashed...I have no dyno results, but am happy with the increased torque (much easier to pull up the front wheel with stock gearing). Have no idea about hp gains or losses.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I have been in forums for years and I am exhausted by people who think without having true knowledge, instead I love doing it with those who do. He opened the topic to see if anyone had done it or tried to do it, and to see if it was worth the effort of documenting it for others. I am direct and clear, for many that is arrogance and they take it the wrong way when I say things they do not like to hear. Also the translation has a lot to blame, I write something and the translator does it in another way, it sounds ugly. And I do not have everything already solved, there is still a long way to go for that but as I said I already did it previously with my K6, I hope to be able to repeat it on my L6. I am not the enemy.
You're making friends like crazy! Sounds like you've already got it all figured out. So, remind me why you started this thread? Sounds like you were just interested in getting others to agree with your ideas. Like others have said, results are all that matters. Have fun with your project...

I chose to go the route of having my ECU flashed...I have no dyno results, but am happy with the increased torque (much easier to pull up the front wheel with stock gearing). Have no idea about hp gains or losses.

I have been in forums for years and I am exhausted by people who think without having true knowledge, instead I love doing it with those who do. He opened the topic to see if anyone had done it or tried to do it, and to see if it was worth the effort of documenting it for others. I am direct and clear, for many that is arrogance and they take it the wrong way when I say things they do not like to hear. Also the translation has a lot to blame, I write something and the translator does it in another way, it sounds ugly. And I do not have everything already solved, there is still a long way to go for that but as I said I already did it previously with my K6, I hope to be able to repeat it on my L6. I am not the enemy.

·
Registered
708 Posts
@arcore , I understand and apologize for reacting negatively. It just seemed you were rejecting all opinions that were different from your intentions. I don't think people were necessarily trying to say "don't do it", but just advising you to be aware that others have tried and failed to improve the V2 performance much. You did not let us know you had already done a lot of research before you kind of blew up at folks, figuratively. We are all coming off a long season of discontent. I have been on my phone and computer way more than my bike in the last year and it shows...I did mean what I said, good luck with your project and come back with results.

Reactions: Gert and Big B

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
No problem, as I say I understand that it sounds arrogant, it is not my intention, thanks for your comments

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
The seat of the pants dyno is more often than not fooling you. Most home tuners who "feel" the increase are surprised to find when the bike is on a dyno that the performance gains were not there. What they normally see if the spikes and valleys in the power curve. The peak right after the valley "feels" like a power surge but it isn't.

A well running bike has a deceptive linear power curve. The peaks and valleys are minimized and it fools you as you cannot feel the difference in the power peaks and valleys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The seat of the pants dyno is more often than not fooling you. Most home tuners who "feel" the increase are surprised to find when the bike is on a dyno that the performance gains were not there. What they normally see if the spikes and valleys in the power curve. The peak right after the valley "feels" like a power surge but it isn't.

A well running bike has a deceptive linear power curve. The peaks and valleys are minimized and it fools you as you cannot feel the difference in the power peaks and valleys.
You're right, so I go to a local dynamometer to make comparisons. My feelings are usually correct

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Today I was able to briefly test the bike with the throttle bodies installed, I did not have time to install the lambda probes to see the AFR on the road, so I do not know the real values, but it was just a question of seeing if it worked on the road, with everything provisionally installed. It works! although at this moment logically it is not providing more power than with the stock TBs, well maybe if in the range of 4 to 6000 rpm, it feels more powerful I wanted to do this test before modifying the cylinder head ducts to adapt them to the larger nozzles, and having not done it yet there is a negative step that impairs performance. I must also monitor the AFR to reprogram the ECU with the correct values, properly position the TPS and a lot of work, but as I say the change is possible. Although now for other reasons I do not know when I will have all that time, I'm sorry, the dynamometer will have to wait

Attachments

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Torque 69.95 ft-lb @ 6500rpm to 73.90 ft-lb @ 3700rpm

Torque @ 2200rpm jumped from 29.94 ft-lb to 49.45 ft-lb

This now kicks off @ 1600rpm not 1900rpm like it did before.

I was looking for extra torque in a more usable place and I got that.
Really that's better than stock?

Must be kind of abrupt off idle. Throttle response kind of touchy? 😁

Do you spend a lot of time riding in that low RPM range?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
It's the exact opposite, it will pull away from stopped with no throttle input even with the bride on the back and loaded up with holiday gear.

It was very early in the bikes life I fitted a throttle tamer to smooth things, out after fitting the PCFC I don't think it's required.

I don't like the RPM assist that is in the new ECU, I don't need any help getting the bike moving and the extra RPMS are unhelpful in the slow dirt.

Before the PCFC I didn't feel my bike performed like a true 1000cc bike now I do and I don't have to be up around 7000rpm to have fun it starts right off idle and it puts a smile on this old mans dial, not like the MT09 but enough to keep me happy.

Reactions: 2thDr and Spec

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're going to enlarge the throttle bodies, be sure to enlarge the intake ports, valves etc.

Here's a better idea: Look at the bikes on the market and figure out which ones have the performance you seek. Buy the one you like best and concentrate on making it comfortable, fit you, handle properly etc. Leave the drive train alone.

Norm Kern

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I have already said that I will open the pipes, tell me why I should change the valves according to you. And another for which I can not do on MY motorcycle what I see fit

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have already said that I will open the pipes, tell me why I should change the valves according to you. And another for which I can not do on MY motorcycle what I see fit
Are you going to do "porting" to increase flow properties?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
continue to advance, I have already opened the cylinder head ducts until they are fitted with the new nozzles, and I have installed a dominator manifold to which the threads for the broadband lambda probes have been welded, step by step.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Interesting project, enjoying your descriptions. Are you planning on changing the cams?
I don't have any experience modding the Suzuki 1000's, but have done a bunch on SV650s. One those there's no real need to port the heads or increase valve size, the stock heads work fine for motors up into the 90hp range. That motor does respond well to cams with more lift and duration.
Are the valves in the DL the same size as ones in the SV1000?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thanks, I have also had a vstrom 650 to which I mount sv cams, a nice experience. Indeed I plan to change cams soon later, I will use the SV but with a variation in the draft to make the behavior of the engine similar to the current one, I do not intend a large peak of maximum power but a fuller range throughout the range. Indeed valves including their springs are the same in DL and SV

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
to test the changes introduced, dominator decat manifolds, duct opening and TPS adjustment, with the lamda probes installed to monitor the real AFR values. I have not corrected them yet with Woolichracing but the bike is clearly more powerful, sorry for those who predicted a loss in the low zone or minimal gains, the thrust in all regimes is notably higher. I am sorry to disappoint those who said that if Dale Walker had not achieved more it was impossible to achieve it. Not that Dale had gotten much more than the arrow decat collector he used, though. I attach 3 curves, the arrow, the delkevic and the Dale, the three are practically the same, with which it follows that Dale's gain is simply due to the decat collectors and the silencer, the only thing it achieves by eliminating the Snorkeling and drilling the box is a lot of extra noise. I have previously had the opportunity to test a decat arrow on my motorcycle and I know that the gain obtained now is higher, I'm sorry but I'm not going to go through the dynamometer yet until I finish the list of modifications, so you can believe me or not, that's it his problem, I just enjoy my bike. regards
Screenshot_20210421-104442_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210324-214217_YouTube.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,315 Posts
So still not breaking 100 hp, I believe the latest 1050 stock breaks 100?

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
to test the changes introduced, dominator decat manifolds, duct opening and TPS adjustment, with the lamda probes installed to monitor the real AFR values. I have not corrected them yet with Woolichracing but the bike is clearly more powerful, sorry for those who predicted a loss in the low zone or minimal gains, the thrust in all regimes is notably higher. I am sorry to disappoint those who said that if Dale Walker had not achieved more it was impossible to achieve it. Not that Dale had gotten much more than the arrow decat collector he used, though. I attach 3 curves, the arrow, the delkevic and the Dale, the three are practically the same, with which it follows that Dale's gain is simply due to the decat collectors and the silencer, the only thing it achieves by eliminating the Snorkeling and drilling the box is a lot of extra noise. I have previously had the opportunity to test a decat arrow on my motorcycle and I know that the gain obtained now is higher, I'm sorry but I'm not going to go through the dynamometer yet until I finish the list of modifications, so you can believe me or not, that's it his problem, I just enjoy my bike. regards View attachment 285168 View attachment 285169
Nice little increase through the most useful part of the rev range

Reactions: bighammer
41 - 60 of 64 Posts