StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
This is what I got with a PCFC and a custom tune.

My before numbers are not the stock Suzuki numbers they are the numbers with the PCFC fitted and using their tune, my seat of the pants dyno tells me that was a improvement over stock but I have no proof, I do expect the standard Suzuki numbers to be less.

The bike has a Scorpion slip on and stock air filter.

RWHP 94.61 to 98.33

Torque 69.95 ft-lb @ 6500rpm to 73.90 ft-lb @ 3700rpm

Torque @ 2200rpm jumped from 29.94 ft-lb to 49.45 ft-lb

This now kicks off @ 1600rpm not 1900rpm like it did before.

I was looking for extra torque in a more usable place and I got that.

Reactions: 2thDr

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,563 Posts
Long-Term Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS: Fine-Tuning For Power
I understand that I do not trust my conclusions, I neither do what someone who is interested in selling me something tells me. For an unbiased opinion read this article that describes how he lost 4cv of maximum power after installing a miraculous K&N filter. It is very easy to understand, to begin with, the useful surface of the K&N filter is diminished by the excess rubber at the edges, after that it has MANY less folds than the original filter, which it is not able to compensate with the lower density of the cotton. filter. In other words, if we stretch the pleats of both filters, the K&N has much less filtering surface than the original, thus explaining the lower performance it offers. Who wants to continue believing in hair growth
You should read that article again. Nowhere does it say the K&N filters "restriction" had any effect on power. In fact, the A/F ratio indicates less restriction. Too many variables listed to say what worked and didn't. Like I pointed out before, the airbox is the restriction. I will sit back and watch....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I do not have to convince anyone, I trust the things I see and test, I have tried three types of filter on the motorcycle and with a flow meter, and the K&N does not obtain the best result, that it obtains it on other motorcycles does not mean to do it in this. as I say I follow my path, not the one that others say

·
Registered
732 Posts

My before numbers are not the stock Suzuki numbers they are the numbers with the PCFC fitted and using their tune, my seat of the pants dyno tells me that was a improvement over stock but I have no proof, I do expect the standard Suzuki numbers to be less.

RWHP 94.61 to 98.33

Does one notice the bump in torque?

·
Administrator
18,205 Posts
will do it for people like you, not for those who talk a lot and do not know how to change a spark plug to a lawn mower
Quite an assumption you are making about us "new guy to the forum".......just sayin. ;) We are listening/watching and following intently concerning what you are doing, again it's your bike/time/money. :) There are some awfully smart members here on the forum who know a thing or 2 as well about engines and how things work, so how could you not expect some to be skeptical of whatever it is your attempting to achieve with minimal results?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I own and ride both a 2012 V and a 2007 SV. There are things I wish the Vstrom would do but , The platform has built in limitations as I have found out. The V is roughly 100 lbs heavier, has a heavy flywheel/rotating mass and a wide ratio transmission. Most importantly- The Vstrom has an ECU / wiring harness that is proprietary and no one has bothered to unlock it as the SV side has done. There is a master Suzuki Mechanic in my area that tried to put a SV engine complete into a Vstrom platform and was repeatedly stymied. He said it was less work to put a hyabusa motor to a Gixxer frame. Just sayin... I would start your project by putting in a 16T counter or a 45T rear sprocket and allow the engine to produce max power (9,250 RPM) as it reaches top speed. ECU rev limiter stops you there. Now if you want to talk turbo boost....o_O

·
Registered
643 Posts
I cleaned up the TB's on my SV a bit. I removed a bunch of extraneous hardware (secondary plates, motor and linkage) recessed throttle plate screws, and opened the bores slightly. I've never dynoed, but it feels like it made a difference.

DSC_1198.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts

RWHP 94.61 to 98.33

Wow, impressive numbers, not so much for the gain, but where you got the boost. I'll bet it feels like a different bike with that low down torque. Maybe I should get one of those....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I cleaned up the TB's on my SV a bit. I removed a bunch of extraneous hardware (secondary plates, motor and linkage) recessed throttle plate screws, and opened the bores slightly. I've never dynoed, but it feels like it made a difference.

View attachment 283948

View attachment 283949
Great job with many hours invested, something similar I do in my DL, but I am not so worried about aesthetics. Didn't you consider putting the TBs of the DL 1000 in your 650?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Great job with many hours invested, something similar I do in my DL, but I am not so worried about aesthetics. Didn't you consider putting the TBs of the DL 1000 in your 650?
Thanks. I did all that work over the winter a few years back before I even had my Strom.

I am sort of curious if the electronic circuit would work on the newer bike if I stripped off some of the junk. It's sort of a pain to get at and do, and now that riding season is about here in northern Michigan, I probably won't think about it until next winter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks. I did all that work over the winter a few years back before I even had my Strom.

I am sort of curious if the electronic circuit would work on the newer bike if I stripped off some of the junk. It's sort of a pain to get at and do, and now that riding season is about here in northern Michigan, I probably won't think about it until next winter.
In that step I work, things have evolved a bit since the times of the SV, and now the idle is controlled by the secondary butterfly shafts, so when eliminating the shafts and your motor you will have to use a screw to maintain it, and it will no longer work automatically in cold.

·
Registered
685 Posts
will do it for people like you, not for those who talk a lot and do not know how to change a spark plug to a lawn mower
You're making friends like crazy! Sounds like you've already got it all figured out. So, remind me why you started this thread? Sounds like you were just interested in getting others to agree with your ideas. Like others have said, results are all that matters. Have fun with your project...

I chose to go the route of having my ECU flashed...I have no dyno results, but am happy with the increased torque (much easier to pull up the front wheel with stock gearing). Have no idea about hp gains or losses.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 64 Posts