StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am planning to put larger throttle bodies among other things to improve performance, does anyone have experience?

·
Administrator
18,156 Posts
Wish you much luck.......these engines are what they are, you're looking at creating very likely potential problems with reliability if you go down this rabbit hole. Why not get a Multistrada or Adventure 1290 if you want more speed and HP in an ADV bike?

Reactions: JBNY

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any experience on the subject? I like my vstrom, it is the machine that I can and want to have, reliable and easy to repair and optimize, I neither want nor can I have an exclusive and expensive motorcycle. the vstrom 1000 engine is reliable, sourced from the TL 1000 which developed up to 135 hp in stock. I have already done this before on my k6 with no problems

·
Administrator
18,156 Posts
I've been here since 2005 and owned 2 1000's, so yeah you can say I have some experience on the subject. Your bike, your time, your money, I'm sure someone may come along and give you their opinions/advice/knowledge. The new 1050 barely breaks 100 hp, Suzuki could've easily given it more hp but they once again chose not to, these aren't bikes with a reputation for speed and performance and nor are their tuners and builders out there modifying these bikes. The first gen 1000's were more of the TL/SV engine platform, but the 14 to current are no longer cut from the same cloth. If you love your reliable and easy to work on 1000, I highly recommend you don't mess with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting debate, I have had it on more occasions. The 1050 is basically the same engine adapted to the euro5 regulations, if they have achieved a little more power, which could be clearly more than not being limited by euro5 emissions. And basically the 1037cc engine is a 996 updated to the euro3 and later euro4 regulations, it is not that far from the 996cc sv, suzuki does not usually make radical changes, it takes advantage of and updates the designs that work. The valves, springs, camshafts etc are the same as in the 996 engine with a double plug cylinder head to meet emissions, the biggest difference between engines is in the much more sophisticated electronics of the 1037cc

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your answer confirms my experiences with the public of the vstrom, in their vast majority the owners of the vstrom are very calm people with a very conservative driving, the Sv and Dl have basically the same engine, however while the SV owner wants more power DL owner wants lower fuel consumption, different approaches to the same engine

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Do you have any indication that the throttle bodies are actually limiting horsepower? Generally whatever part of the intake tract that provides the most restriction determines power. On the old bikes, I'm guessing that would be the airfilter and housing. I suppose if you wanted to test that, you could install vacuum gauges upstream and downstream from the throttle bodies, and see if there's any significant difference at full throttle. I suspect there is not. In which case larger throttle bodies won't affect power. But they may require recalibration of your fuel injection computer. Dunno about the newer bikes, the old ones inferred airflow from the throttle position sensors. While the new bodies won't provide higher ultimate flow due to other restrictions, at partial throttle, they will.

·
Registered
680 Posts
See Holeshot Performance...Dale Walker did extensive work on the DL1000A to increase power and achieved minimal gains.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,549 Posts
Actually the TL was far from a dependable engine. The SV (~ 125 hp) can and does make more power than the DL ( either the 996 or 1037 version ). BUT the SV has different cams, intake/throttle bodies, ignition components/timing, pistons and compression ratio, and MOST of all different connecting rods to handle the power. And there is your reliability factor. Want to make 140 HP? No problem, but the engine has to come apart to handle that power. Search Schmidt134 on the SV forums. If what I write seems skeptical, he can confirm.
Back to your throttle bodies. I would assume you can swap the larger SV parts. But like anything else, just adding one larger part may not make the difference you expect. To make power in these engines you have to increase compression ratio. To do that properly.,..the engine has to come apart. You might gain some power in upper rpm ranges with the larger TB's. But lose some under 5000 rpm.
Not telling you not to do something! I am one to fiddle with things and have plenty of mispent receipts on failed parts. TB's and a COMPLETE exhaust along with a remap would make more power. Would the trade-off in lower rpm response be worth it?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Why not start with changing out the sprockets? Pretty simple solution unless you need top speed as well.

·
Administrator
18,156 Posts
Your answer confirms my experiences with the public of the vstrom, in their vast majority the owners of the vstrom are very calm people with a very conservative driving, the Sv and Dl have basically the same engine, however while the SV owner wants more power DL owner wants lower fuel consumption, different approaches to the same engine
I opted for a 2020 Yamaha Tracer GT instead, weighs less than a 650 Strom and puts out almost 120hp "more than the 1050 as well". Oddly enough I get the same gas mileage on this as I did on my previous 650, and OMG the acceleration this bike has in any gear and at any speed. We are a pretty conservative bunch here for the most part concerning these bikes, I mean the Stroms are pretty much what they are. No way I would want my main bike to be compromised for reliability for MINIMAL GAINS, that's where a cheaper 2nd bike that is entirely different is a nice option if an option. :)

Reactions: 2thDr

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your answers, I have seen the work of holeshot, in my opinion it approaches the search for power in a commercial way, but wrong, starting with the K&N air filter, which does not provide more flow on this bike, but rather restricts it, I have personally checked this by comparing various filters to a rudimentary home method using a flow meter. It also uses an added module to control the gasoline dosage, that is outdated, it is more efficient to reprogram the ECU directly. As for the differences of the SV and DL engines I know them, also the differences of the connecting rods, and lately I have learned several useful things from the master schmidt314, although before knowing his excellent publications I had already looked for my own way to enhance my DL1000 K6 , including a change of cams for SV or throttle bodies

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wow, I'm interested to see your results vs. Dale Walker. I'm impressed! Not sure what you mean by a commercial way. Are you referring to maintaining fuel economy, budget friendly upgrades. I'm a bit confused. I've trusted Dale with my performance upgrades for over 20 years. I let him do the engineering, I buy his parts and his expertise. It's worked for me.
It will be interesting to see your end result. Best of luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[QUOTE = "Bandit_Bill, publicación: 5547313, miembro: 214657"]
Vaya, me interesa ver tus resultados contra Dale Walker. ¡Estoy impresionado! No estoy seguro de lo que quiere decir con una forma comercial. ¿Se refiere a mantener el ahorro de combustible, actualizaciones económicas. Estoy un poco confundido. He confiado en Dale con mis actualizaciones de rendimiento durante más de 20 años. Le dejo hacer la ingeniería, compro sus piezas y su experiencia. Me ha funcionado.
Será interesante ver el resultado final. La mejor de las suertes.
[/ CITA]
No he dicho que yo sepa más que Dale Walker, simplemente que para él es un negocio, lo enfoca en ganar dinero, es su forma de hacer las cosas, seguro que conoce otras formas. Si mantiene su negocio como algo bueno, sabrá cómo hacerlo, pero no seguiré su camino al menos en este modelo. No quiero sonar arrogante, solo expongo la realidad de lo que sé, me puede gustar más o menos, créame o no, cada uno elige su ruta
I opted for a 2020 Yamaha Tracer GT instead, weighs less than a 650 Strom and puts out almost 120hp "more than the 1050 as well". Oddly enough I get the same gas mileage on this as I did on my previous 650, and OMG the acceleration this bike has in any gear and at any speed. We are a pretty conservative bunch here for the most part concerning these bikes, I mean the Stroms are pretty much what they are. No way I would want my main bike to be compromised for reliability for MINIMAL GAINS, that's where a cheaper 2nd bike that is entirely different is a nice option if an option. :)
I have owned several Yamaha, so when the tracer came out on the market I went to a dealer to test it, I was very excited about it, but the test totally disappointed me and I never considered it again. It is true that it has a great engine and good brakes, however the rest is simply not up to par, at least my tastes, I prefer my strom as you would prefer your tracer. different tastes different colors I mostly do this for fun, the strom has enough power, but I'm looking to improve its delivery to my liking. I'm not worried about reliability, these engines are very resistant, and I'm not going to dedicate myself to racing.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,549 Posts
Not sure I would trust the "air flow meter"! You don't have to like K&N filters, but to write they ADD restriction doesn't jive with any reports I have heard. Besides, the air filter isn't the "restriction" in the intake system as I understand it. The snorkel and snorkel opening are, from what I have seen written. The airbox itself is actually a pretty good item for making power. Some have experimented with tube heights with some success but those modifying the actual airbox have not had much to show gains.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Not sure I would trust the "air flow meter"! You don't have to like K&N filters, but to write they ADD restriction doesn't jive with any reports I have heard. Besides, the air filter isn't the "restriction" in the intake system as I understand it. The snorkel and snorkel opening are, from what I have seen written. The airbox itself is actually a pretty good item for making power. Some have experimented with tube heights with some success but those modifying the actual airbox have not had much to show gains.
Long-Term Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS: Fine-Tuning For Power
I understand that I do not trust my conclusions, I neither do what someone who is interested in selling me something tells me. For an unbiased opinion read this article that describes how he lost 4cv of maximum power after installing a miraculous K&N filter. It is very easy to understand, to begin with, the useful surface of the K&N filter is diminished by the excess rubber at the edges, after that it has MANY less folds than the original filter, which it is not able to compensate with the lower density of the cotton. filter. In other words, if we stretch the pleats of both filters, the K&N has much less filtering surface than the original, thus explaining the lower performance it offers. Who wants to continue believing in hair growth

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
So the K&N as a performance mods is no different than pulling the air filter and hoping the decreased restriction leads to an increase in volume that will garner instant results. K&N simply DO flow more air (they filter poorly becaseu of this) and they are very porous compared to say a paper or oil foam element. But cramming air into the motor is just the beginning. You can make as much air avalaible to the motor as you want but if it cannot consume and exhaust it, its doesn't matter. Honestly the entire worlds atmosphere is avaliable to you motor that doesn't mean it can use it.

If I have a 5 gallon bucket that has a hole in it that leaks/exhausts at a rate of 2 GMP but you have a fire trunk filling it with a 300 GMP nozzle what happens? A motor is fundamentally no different. Garbage in, garbage out.

·
Administrator
18,156 Posts
I say to the OP.......makes the mods you are discussing and let us know how they turnout, as the collective can learn from your experiment either way. :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts