StromTrooper banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Last fall I made the "homemade manometer" with a yard stick, tubing, and some ATF fluid. Followed instructions and got my TBs all synced up no issues. I really could not believe how much smoother it made the engine. IT really felt like a different engine.

So here is my problem. Bike seemed to not be running as sooth anymore. I thought no biggie, I will do the TB sync again and be good.

So I start by pulling the black caps off of my TB sync tubing. When I did, I noticed some fuel come out of the tubes, not sure if this is normal, no big deal, or a sign of "something"?

Next I hook up the manometer, and fire it up. It pulls so hard from the rear TB, I barely have time to turn the screw to even it out before I have to kill the engine so it does not suck fluid. So I do this a few times and the adjustment screw is almost completely backed out and it is still not even close to even vacuum. If I turn the screw in (clockwise), it only sucks harder and makes it worse :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Any ideas????

Engine was warm, ~1,400rpm idle when tested
2003 DL1000, PCIII
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did some reading on the VSRI forum and it seems to me that one of the TB boots came unseated causing a vacuum leak. It all sounds reasonable...:yesnod:

So, off to the garage in a bit to pull the tank and plastics and re-seat everything. Then I will try the sync again. Wish me luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
I'd bet on a loose front TB boot too. At 8 y/o, that synthetic rubber is getting stiffish (dried out).

Both F & R clamps were tight on mine in 2008 but they leaked anyway. I used silicon, dielectric,
non-drying grease to soften and re-juvenate the end of each boot by just working it in and wiping
off the dirty excess with a shop towel. The clamps worked better on soft rubber.

They haven't dried out yet and no leaks.

YMMV.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top