StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no mechanic as you'll now know, but is there a way for home mechanics to adjust throttle bodies? (Like sync-ing carbs?)

My Haynes manual for another bike simply says, "Got to your dealer."

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
What year and model?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The answer is Yes. You can do that. The easiest way to start is to buy yourself a vacuum sensing device for two or more cyls or make yourself a $5.00 one. Try searching this forum for details on hooking them up and finding the adjustment screw on the forward injector body. You will find lots of TBS postings. LOTS. Also, it helps us to know which bike you are working on for us to give you any advice. If you have an 02-14 DL 1000, you probably have the most common problem for them and need something other than a TBS, but it's a good place to start anyhow. So what are you riding and what are the symptoms?

·
38,049 Posts
Later models like the 2007 and later 650 and 2014 and later DL1000 require special tools to do a good job and a TBS only affects idle and just off idle. Earlier models are easier to do and need it much more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I'm actually having no symptoms on my fairly-new-to-me 2008 wee. I'm just beginning to start doing more of my own maintenance, and I've noticed that throttle body checks are part of regular maintenance but couldn't find much in manuals about how to actually perform them. Is that one of those periodic maintenance items that probably never get checked--even by dealer services--unless there are symptoms?

Thanks

·
38,049 Posts
I wouldn't do a TBS On a 2008 Wee without a HealTech Suzuki OBD tool. If it had a lumpy idle, it might need a TBS but a bad TPS or clutch lever switch would be much more likely. Early models needed an occasional TBS but the later ones with computer controlled fueling can live their entire lives without one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
On my 04 Wee I notice a slight thrumbing that on my BMW's indicated an imbalance in the carbs. Is there any need for concern or fuggetaboutit?

·
38,049 Posts
The 2004-2006 models can benefit from a regular TBS, which covers the entire rpm range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts