StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We who have done throttle body syncs on our Wees and Vees know it's somewhat difficult to adjust the screw that controls front/rear throttle body balance.

It's a Philips head, and not only that but a round Philips head. The airbox is in the way of a straight shot at it from above. Bodywork is in the way from the side.

You can kinda sorta get a grip on it with long needle nose pliers from the side, which is what I did last time I performed a TB sync.

Has anyone tried replacing the factory screw with a hex-head screw? It might be possible to get a hex key in there for a TB sync, maybe even without removing the bodywork entirely.

AFAIK there's nothing magical about that screw. As long as the replacement screw has the same type of threads, diameter, and threaded length, it should do the job.

Since I have the air box off anyway for another project, I'm tempted to remove the screw & find a hex-head replacement at the hardware store.

Probably a socket head screw would work best:

This type can be turned either with a hex key, or by gripping the cylindrical head from the side. Bonus: there's plenty of surface for a stripe of nail polish/paint to mark the position.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long story short is, no, you don't need JIS screwdrivers to work on a Vstrom. DIN 5260-PH/ISO 8763-1 is a thing.

The TB balance screw is rarely, if ever, going to be turned using a screwdriver. Conventional access is almost impossible with the airbox in place, which it would be if you're balancing the throttle bodies.

I didn't replace my TB balance screw this time around. Not worth the effort, given that my TB's were already balanced. Might be worth doing if your TBs start badly out of balance, or you just don't mind taking the time.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have done some more reading, including this fascinating thread on a throttle body rebuild procedure:

In it the author mentions that fooling with the throttle body linkage is a sure path to misery, as it throws off the factory TB balance (not to be confused with the balance you can do yourself with the screw).

I'm not sure whether removing & replacing the TB balance adjustment screw would fall into that "messing with the linkage" category, but it's worth careful thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts