StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***UPDATE*** As of this morning I am about 5 days from getting a 2008 Strom w/ABS. I have two options:

1. Buy from a dealer 100 miles away at $7364 OTD and haul back via trailer (arrangements made).

2. Buy from a dealer 25 miles away for $7620 delivered to my door.

Of course the obvious answer is #2 but I still think I should be able to sweeten the deal just a little bit more. Maybe half of on a nice helmet or they can throw in a riding jacket??

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
Not sure if that is the best choice for a first bike....especially with no riding experience. The best advice that I can give is "be careful" and look at all your options!!! Why not get yourself a first bike that is much lower and easier to ride? Experienced riders drop these bikes all the time, they really are a unique bike compared to most out there. Not trying to bust your bubble, just wanting to make sure that you are thinking this all out. I used to think that the Stroms were an "OK" bike for a new rider, I have since changed my mind. These bikes are long, tall, and top heavy compared to almost anything out there. Yes there are some inexperienced riders who went out and bought a Strom, and will tell you that they are getting along just fine. These bikes very simply like to fall down, whether it be the riders fault or not. There is a very good reason why so many crash bars get installed, and why so many people are in need of a new turn signal. Many of us on this site truly care for the safety of others....that is why I am telling you all this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have considered a few other first bikes. The problem is that I am 6'1", inseam 35". I like the seating position of this bike, at least in the showroom. A sports bike is out of the question and honestly, I just don't like cruisers. I am not past being persuaded otherwise, but the strom speaks to me! I am in my mid 30's and I have no desire to push the limits of my riding ability. I'm sure I will have the utmost respect for any bike I get. I just want to get something practical that I also like.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think you will be fine. The strom won't be to tall seeing your height. Just take it slow and easy. Remeber it is a tall bike and is a bit top heavy compared to other bikes. I bought my wee after being off of bikes for about 15 years and was a bit nervous but that started to fade after few decent trips on the Wee. Just ride it very defensive and watch out for all the cars and expect them to do something stupid. As it being your first bike i would suggest tank gaurds, hand gaurds and center stand as some of your first farkles.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If I was you I would see about finding a different way to get the bike home. Do you have any buddies with more riding experience that could ride it home for you? Maybe renting a trailer to bring it home? I just don't think that your first ride should be a DL650 on the highway. Being new to motorcycles you need time to develop some of the survival skills you will need as well as teaching your muscles the correct thing to do in an emergency.
Bubba

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a local dealer willing to transfer a bike for me. That will reduce the need for the 100 mile trip; however, the dealer will not give me a straight answer on price even after I told them what the other dealer quoted me over the phone. I told them my credit union is waiting for a purchase order and they still won't give me a price. I'm almost to the point where I'd rather go through the hassle of the 100 mile haul than work with a dealer who is certainly going to haggle me. I'm trying to close the deal by the end of the week. Any suggestions? :confused:

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
What do you mean "won't give you a price" do they have a bike in stock? Is it actively for sale? Do they have a price tag on it?...........You're leaving something out of this equation......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The bike is not there at the moment. They said they have found several in the area and are trying to get one in for me. I have told them clearly that I am ready to make on offer as soon as a see the bike. Shouldn't they still be able to give me a ballpark price?? I also failed to mention, there are no price tags on any bike in this showroom. The very first time I went in this dealership a salesman told me it would be 8k total OTD for a 2008 Non-ABS strom!

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Of course they should and actually the only way they are really going to get you one is if you have a signed deal. It makes no sense for a dealer to arrange and execute a dealer trade unless its for a SOLD bike. At this point they must not take you for a serious buyer. Since it is your first bike I would suggest you get it from a local dealer as you may see him regularly for bits and pieces.Ask what they are going to charge you for the bike and I suggest you take care of TTR yourself. Try another salesperson at the local store maybe..whatever you end up saving on negotiations and traveling all over the place will not be worth the convenience and benefits of dealing with a GOOD local guy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL... The other sales guys I've talked to have been great! I think I threw them off initially when I said I wanted to take my MSF class before I get the bike. I later found out the classes are booked until early Sept. Now, with limited supply on 08 ABS Stroms, I'm just trying to get the bike while I still can. My last communication was "I'm ready to make on offer. Credit Union is waiting for purchase order." I hope I cleared up any earlier confusion on my part about my intent to buy. Maybe I should call them back again. I'm ready to ride!! ..:)

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Exactly.........if you know what you want and have made the decision go for it.........and enjoy. Yes salespeople live for the moment. :) By the way...if you show up when MSF classes are supposed to start often there is a "no show" and you can fill the spot and not have to wait.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
***UPDATE*** As of this morning I am about 5 days from getting a 2008 Strom w/ABS. I have two options:

1. Buy from a dealer 100 miles away at $7364 OTD and haul back via trailer (arrangements made).

2. Buy from a dealer 25 miles away for $7620 delivered to my door.

Of course the obvious answer is #2 but I still think I should be able to sweeten the deal just a little bit more. Maybe half of on a nice helmet or they can throw in a riding jacket??

I see that many on this board do their own routine maintenance. Given that, how important is it to buy the bike from the dealer you actually get service from?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Its surely not the end of the world..........but $256 and you don't have to go get it ..load it.....trailer it...unload it...and you'll feel better about asking questions at the local dealer when they come up. Ask them to install any farkles you buy at no charge and you'll end up real happy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is this really the best price they can do? I just picked up my new Wee, NON ABS ($500 option) 2 weeks ago OTD for $6499 then added Hand guards, Center stand, and Heated Grips and 2 oil filters totaling $6995 OTD

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Godfather,

In this area I was fortunate to find an ABS Wee within a 150 mile radius at all! I'm getting $7364 total OTD from a dealer 100 miles away, no farkles. A local dealership found out about the deal I was working and offered to xfer the bike delivered to my door for $7600. I offered to come in and sign the papers immediately but they said there was no need to because they trusted I would buy the bike. When I told them to fax the buyers order at $7600 to my CU, they didn't follow through. In fact, they lied saying they couldn't xfer because someone had just came in and put money down on my out-of-town bike. When I called the out-of-town dealership, they told me that was not the case. My local dealership obviously intended to hijack my deal so they could haggle me when the bike got here! :mad: Another more scrupulous local dealership admitted that at $7364 they could not make enough profit on the deal to justify picking up the bike. Instead, they offered me a Non-ABS for $7120 delivered. They wouldn't even take $6975! Needless to say, given the state of things were I live, I will be driving 100 miles out of town and hauling the bike back myself. This is my first bike and I have quickly learned that the dealership situation is pretty bad here. Several people I know have opted to drive a couple hundred miles away to get a "fair" deal versus getting screwed by dealer(s) in this vicinity. I will be content to add my own farkles one by one. :cool:

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
We don't know where you live????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:D I have made it through the gauntlet of shady dealers and am now the owner of a 2008 DL650 ABS Vstrom!! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Freeride,

What did you end of doing?

Did you drive the 100 miles and pay $7364?

I am currently working with a local dealer who is trying to find a DL650 ABS model and I think he is willing to deal.

The MSRP for a 2008 is $7,199.00
The MSRP for a 2009 is $7,499.00

I would expect the OTD price would be less than the MSRP, but what do I know? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts