StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. So, Knightstrom and I did three days in the Sierras early November with Bass Lake as our basecamp. We're talking about doing it again this time June 3 or 4 through 6 or 7.

Here is a link to the first report.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/59224-three-days-sierras.html

Seemed like enough people were interested in joining us. I've got a secret spot for base camp north of Oakhurst, and south of Fishcamp for camping. More info to follow. Chime in if interested.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. Unfortunately, I'm heading to Utah for the Superbike races then down to Sion/Bryce etc. at the same time. Otherwise would love to go and meet you guys. Have fun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm in!

I'm all in. I will probably head back on the 7th. I'll meet you up there on Saturday or when ever camp is ready for us.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little more info. I've emailed a few of the people who said they were interested in riding with us. No one has gotten back to me yet.

So, right now its Guyver, Knightstrom, and Kapenagary locked in.

If more people are interested....I'll post up the info.

I don't want to divulge my secret hot spot unless more people are serious.

Here's the plan. We will make a base camp north of Oakhurst, and south of Yosemite. From this location we will ride all day in the surrounding areas that I mentioned in the last thread. At the end of the day we will camp and enjoy.

The camping is primitive....but beautiful. Camp is in a grove of redwood trees. There is a thunderdrop on site (outhouse - not pretty but functional), a great fire pit and enough room for about thirty bikers. No running water or showers. Although, showers can be had at Bass Lake which is about ten miles or so away. There are also hotel rooms in Oakhurst...plenty of restaurants, etc. I've also got a camping shower that I'll bring up.

Knightstrom and I will go up Friday night after work and secure the campsite. I'll have my support vehicle stocked with firewood, water, campstove/kitchen, coffee, chairs, some food, ice chest, outdoor shower and other essentials. I'll be happy to share all this stuff with people who come up. We will do rides Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. People can come and go as they please. It's four miles in from the 41 on a Forest service road (FSR). That would be gravel/dirt. Very do-able for any bike; even an FJR. Most of the day rides will be on pavement; but from the campsite there are some outstanding dual sport trails available - and they should be ridden.

I will also be at the conjunction of the 41 and this FSR at designated times on Saturday morning to guide people to the campsite. I'll also post directions if enough people are interested. That's about it.

Let me know if you wanna go. Talk later.

Guyv

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Interested

in Part 1 you were riding in an area the wife and I visit in our 97 Jeep, usually on our way in to Mono Hot Springs and also to Muir Trail Ranch (for the hot springs)

now that I have a Wee my perspective is a little different

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in Part 1 you were riding in an area the wife and I visit in our 97 Jeep, usually on our way in to Mono Hot Springs and also to Muir Trail Ranch (for the hot springs)

now that I have a Wee my perspective is a little different
Are there other hot springs up there besides Mono? If so.....maybe we should hit them.

In any event. You will have fun up there on your Wee, for sure.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Headed to Bass Lake for Memorial Day weekend with my Alaska buddies and our friends and girlfriends. Mostly camping, not much riding, but want to use the trip to shake down our gear and packing before leaving for AK (5 weeks from now!)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm in. I'll come up on Fri afternoon and meet you guys at camp. Could one of you shoot me the GPS coordinates and I'll find it from there.
Awesome!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in. I'll come up on Fri afternoon and meet you guys at camp. Could one of you shoot me the GPS coordinates and I'll find it from there.
Awesome!

I'm a GPS fail. I'll make sure you know how to get there completely. We probably won't be pulling in until between 10 and 11 pm. It'll be good to have you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If that's the case, the simplest thing to do is meet up in Fresno. I recommend the last exit on the north side of town off the 99. Take the Nees Ave exit, go left under the overpass, pull into the In-n-Out Burger parking lot on your left. I live 6 minutes away. We can do a quick meet and greet, grab a bite and ride to the site as one group.
Give me a call when you get there, I'll PM you my number.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Are there other hot springs up there besides Mono? If so.....maybe we should hit them. QUOTE]

hot springs:

Mono hot Springs resort - private sunken pool at the cabins

At the adjacent river on opposite bank (public land) lots of pools around, including some up the road a bit

At Muir Trail Ranch ("MTR") - 5 miles beyond Florence Lake (via water taxi and a hike) - Muir Trail Ranch has two private hot pools

Across the river from MTR - some public access pools - note - trying to cross the COLD river at medium-high flow kills folks on a regular basis

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Kiwi.....Sounds like the upriver / MTR pools are out of reach.

4 Mudder - no problem we'll swing by and pick you up on the way.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
no can do - grr

checked my office calendar - I have a mandatory partnering meeting on June 6th

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone else want to go? Cause if not.....I don't want to put my secret spot out online. I'll just pm those going.

I'd be kinda like giving out directions to the Batcave. You know?

Anyway.....I'm excited about this trip. I've got two weeks to get my bike into shape. Farkles have begun arriving.....I'm so excited I might start a thread.

The weather's going to be perfect, and the ridings going to be perfect too.

Now....if only the hot tub and dancing girls....well, nevermind. Haaha.

PS. Didn't know the Cal Sci tinted shorty is actually bigger than the stocker!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is it too late to join in the fun?
Need to check my calendar but it looks good so far.
What are the exact dates you will be in camp?
Thanks
Roger

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it too late to join in the fun?
Need to check my calendar but it looks good so far.
What are the exact dates you will be in camp?
Thanks
Roger
It is not too late. Camp will be officially open on the morning of Saturday June the 4th. A few of us will be heading in late on Friday night to secure the campsite, and make camp. We'll meet up and ride with those going on Sat and Sun, some of us are staying to ride Mon, then breaking camp Tues. Some guys are just coming for Sat and Sun.

Let me know if you're for sure in, and we'll get you in the loop.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I might be interested, but I sold my Vstrom and I am riding a BMW RT now. From what I can see the RT should be able to handle the access road.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I might be interested, but I sold my Vstrom and I am riding a BMW RT now. From what I can see the RT should be able to handle the access road.

The access road to the campsite should be do-able even on a Harley. If you just cruise it, you'll be fine. Let us know if your a go. No thick sand, just packed dirt road with spots of gravel and old pavement left over from the logging days.

It's about three miles or so, I'm guessing from pavement to the campground. Most of the day we'll be out riding roads. Unless some want to off-road a little, in which case there's epic dual sport trails running directly through the campsite.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The access road to the campsite should be do-able even on a Harley. If you just cruise it, you'll be fine. Let us know if your a go. No thick sand, just packed dirt road with spots of gravel and old pavement left over from the logging days.

It's about three miles or so, I'm guessing from pavement to the campground. Most of the day we'll be out riding roads. Unless some want to off-road a little, in which case there's epic dual sport trails running directly through the campsite.
I should be good to go. I may head down to 4Mudders house Friday and meet up with everyone Friday. The dirt road shouldnt be an issue. I have ridden plenty of dirt roads on the RT now, some of them pretty sketchy (for being on a sport touring bike). Other than tent and sleeping bag what do I need?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts