StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Only this time it turned into five for me. In fact, since I didn't get to everything I wanted to ride......I'd still be up there. But I ran out of cash and clean underwear! haha

So, this will be a pictorial/storytelling thread. I hope my riding brothers that I met here will feel free to jump in whenever they feel like it.

Rconti....I found your hot spot. Guess what? Now it's one of mine too. In fact, I put the Sierra Vista Scenic Byway Route 81 up there with California's other monster bike roads like the 36, 58, Hwy 1, and the 25. For camping and riding I like it even more than the others. The fact that it's relatively unknown; except to fishermen it would seem, and the pristine camping spots make it top shelf in my book. I liked it soo much I rode it for three days solo, and burned out a tire on it.

Back to the picture thread. The plan was to camp and ride for three days near Yosemite. Knightstrom, Monkeyman, AveJoe and 4Mudder planned to join me. I brought a support vehicle stocked with camping stuff. AveJoe arrived first and we rode Wee's near Fishcamp. Then Monkeyman joined us and made camp on his sweet RT.

Edit: I forgot to put that crazy Guyver dude in this post.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We made one fatal error....but turned it into a positive. We made the mistake of trying to ride into Yosemite through the main entrance on a Saturday in June....at around 11:00 am.

Here's 4Mudder.

Here's what he's looking at.

We decided to turn around!! But, the ride back to Mariposa with no traffic was fun.....and we got some cool pictures.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Later that day, 4Mudder, Knightstrom (KS) and I decided to do an offroad shortcut across the mountains and back to Fishcamp.

Here we are after a crash......er....I mean a gentle set-down KS meant to do!

After that epic offroad mountain ride...we continued back toward Bass Lake and explored some other roads that turned out to be excellent. Here's KS doing some fine tuning on Beasore Road.

We enjoyed the view of this beautiful meadow just before we got turned around by snow blocking us at around 6000 ft.

This old barn was located in this beautiful meadow.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Later in the day....as sunset was approaching.....KS and I rode to the top of Miami Mountain to grab a picture of the view near sunset.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And that was a wrap for Saturday. On Sunday we rode in the morning and then everyone split. I decided to stay on and continue. I figured someone needed to go through Yosemite proper and get the perfunctory "postcard" pics.

So I did. But later, after that Disneylandesc....25 mph ride....I took off and found the really good spot near Bass Lake....the Mammoth Pool road. When I come back, I'll post pictures of Yosemite and that ride as well.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So here's Yosemite falls on Monday June 13, 2011. It is beautiful.

If you've never been to Yosemite; it's worth doing. Personally, I probably won't do it again because it's just too frustrating for me to have to ride so slow in such a perfect environment.

So, the rest of this report from my perspective will be on describing and sharing photos from the area I mentioned earlier....Scenic Route 81.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The Epicatious 81

How to get there?

Go to Bass Lake. Take Bass Lake Road south to North Forks. From North Forks take the Mammoth Pool Road. Now, go ride your a** off.

Oh yeah, the camping on this stretch is outstanding. I made the effort to explore all of the campgrounds that I could and check many of the side roads as well.

What's up there?

Beautiful views. Excellent roads. Great camping and fishing. On and offroad opportunities are seemingly limitless. There is gas, showers, a restaurant and general store at Wagner's Mammoth Pool Resort. The chef there is a great guy and made me up an excellent breakfast on Tuesday morning. I also gassed up there with 87 (which is all they have) and it was just fine.

Here are some pictures of the roads you'll ride, and the sights you'll see.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the campsite I stayed in while exploring up there. It's in Rock Creek campground. There are bathrooms, running water, and as you can see in the background.....a beautiful creek; which is actually a river in my book.

On Monday evening a fisherman and his girlfriend came through my camp. We talked. We traded two fresh caught trout from the river for two ice-cold Corona's. That was my dinner and the first time I've ever had trout. Good trade. Here's a view of Mammoth Pool.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I said earlier, the offroad opportunites abound there as well. Here's a pic from the road leading to Hell's Half Acre trailhead. This is the kind of stuff the Wee was made for IMO. It was great. I don't know why they call it Hell's Half Acre....it was beautiful there.

Not far after this spot, I was stopped by snow again at around 6000 ft. elevation.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you ride this road, make darn sure you take the ride to Lower Chiquito Campground. You won't forget it.

I wanted to ride to Whiskey Falls Campground but ran out of time. It's 14 miles offroad. I did the first few miles. The road was unfortunately "improved" by adding gravel.....which is kinda like riding on marbles. So, I had to hang it and wait until my next trip up there. Which, BTW, will hopefully be real soon.

So, I guess that's all I have to say about that. So many positives...the only negatives.....bugs and heat. But, you'll get those almost anywhere. Hope you enjoyed. Regards.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Great RR Guyver! I can see why the word "epic" was used so many times this weekend.
Thank you for the hands on offroad riding education. That was my first serious attempt at riding in dirt and I learned a lot.
I will post up my pics later tonight. It was great meeting and riding with you and I hope to do it again real soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great pix.

Glad you finally made it Yosemite.

Sorry to head home so soon on Sat., but it went well with the family and work to be home on Sunday.

The road that I took off Hwy. 140 turned out to be epic too.

Keep me posted on future rides.

Dave

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 4Mudder, hello AveJoe.

PS to the thread.

I recommend the Sierra National Forest map to anyone interested in doing this ride. It has all the places I mentioned and more. You can get them online, by mail, or at the ranger station. There's one at the North end of town in Oakhurst. FYI.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That was a great weekend. Thanks to Guyver for putting that together. I had a great time and 4mudders music will be somethignto remember....I will never think of 2 hard boiled eggs in a tube sock the same way...or a girl on the back of a milk carton....LOL

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow!!...
You had to go there... MM, that shit violent....

·
Registered
101 Posts
What a great trip! Thank you Guyver for the recon work on some great roads and trails.

Our campsite was 2.2 miles off HWY 41, 9 miles north of Bass Lake. The gravel road took me past this little gem on the way there...

That night we unwound with a little entertainment, no TV necessary...

The morning was glorious and perfect for riding...

Checked out some local scenery...

Fresno Dome

The Merced River on the way to Yosemite

A great, smooth, empty road winding through the forest

Kelty Meadow still had snow!!

That night went a little overboard with the whiskey and the bonfire, he he ...

I gained a lot of confidence riding my Wee offroad and got a little carried away leaving camp on Sunday. Really enjoyed hitting the whoops and catching air. My luggage did not enjoy it as much. End result - a bent bracket and two soft bags destroyed.

Big thanks to Guyver and Knightstrom for tying my junk down for the trip home. I owe you some bungees and a couple of cold ones.

Looking forward to part trois...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice posts 4mudder. You don't owe us anything but another ride. :]

BTW - I didn't realize I made such creepy faces when jamming guitar. Want to thank you for putting that one out there for all to see. hahaah!

Talk soon.

·
Registered
609 Posts
my next ride will be taking the tube steak to tuna town.....LOL.... if you know what I mean........Did I just say that?.....thats wrong.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts