StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason the forum automatically marks everything read after visiting the site and leaving the browser open for any length of time. I haven't measured the time but its' something like an hour or so. For example, I open a thread and have to go and do some work. When I get back to it I finish reading that thread and when I return to the forum everything in all of the sub-forums is marked read making it annoying to try to find new posts.

Any ideas as to why it's doing this? No other vBulletin based forum that I'm on does this.

·
Registered
435 Posts
This happens to me as well. Over time I just got used to it, but it is annoying.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I think the issue is not that the site is marking threads as read, but rather removing the "new since last visit" flag.

Like many websites, stromtrooper.com sets several cookies on your computer. One of them is called "bblastvisit" and appears to be a unix time string. Presumably the site checks that cookie every time a page is loaded, and for a time maintains your "new visit" status, so threads display as unread. Once you've been logged on for a while (I think it's less than an hour, but probably more than 30 minutes), it no longer considers your session a new visit, so any threads that haven't been updated since you logged on lose the "new since last visit" flag.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps it's a forum-wide knob/setting related to that "new since last visit" flag? It doesn't seem to be something that can be tweaked in the user profile unfortunately.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This seems to explain it, there are three possible config values for "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type":

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type - vBulletin.org Forum

The meat of the first post quoted here since it's not TOO long, though the rest of the thread may be interesting to admins:

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based
Once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2) Database (no automatic forum marking)
This option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3) Database (automatic forum marking)
This option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This seems to explain it, there are three possible config values for "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type":

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type - vBulletin.org Forum

The meat of the first post quoted here since it's not TOO long, though the rest of the thread may be interesting to admins:

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based
Once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2) Database (no automatic forum marking)
This option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3) Database (automatic forum marking)
This option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
Any chance the admins have been able to look at this? This problem forces you to make sure you quickly read everything you're interested in reading as soon as (and every time) you visit the site. If you get distracted (by work, children, rabid wombat invasions) you come back and everything in every sub-forum is marked as having been read so you have no idea what's new and no easy way to check out the new posts.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Oh Admin

anything come of this. i've also a problem where i go to my subscriptions that have unread posts. when i select "view first unread" it jumps me to some post that i haven't read, but then i see a dozen or so posts before it that i have NOT read either. on the other vbulletin forums i visit that button always takes me to the first post that I have not read. here it doesn't. ???

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hate to keep bringing this up but it seriously needs to be fixed. I don't see how anyone manages to use this forum beyond just a couple of posts if every time they visit the site it automatically marks every existing thread as read even though you haven't read them.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
:lol1:

One begins to wonder if there's truth to this actually.
it seems to be an easy fix too. i thought maybe it was a user setting so i looked in my cintrol panel. from what i gather it's an administrator. I do not know if it's an added cost or added maintenance or causes additional bandwidht usage. ???? gotta be something that might not be desireable otherwise it wouldn't be an option, it would just be a standard setting. anyway, i do hope it changed so us users can manage our followed threads a little easier. all the othe vbulletin forums i belong to leave unread messages up indefinitely or at least past a few days.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Using Quick Links/Today's Posts will bring out the latest stuff. I'm on here enough that the New Posts button works fine. On other sites, I have to manually mark all posts read after checking the ones of interest. It's just a matter of adjusting to the way the sites work.

Sites that don't mark posts read after a specific time like VSRI and ADVrider tend to have lots of people logged on constantly whether they are using the site or not. I can see why this site wants people to log off when not using the site as it's a huge overhead. Log off until you actually want to check the site and the new posts button will show posts regardless of age if the limit of about 100 was not reached. It's that limit that can be a pain to me if I'm on a trip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts