StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have recently joined and introduced myself, thanks again for lots of great reading and learning. Any thoughts on this high mileage, well kitted bike as a first bike? Its well used, relatively cheap and I like the safety add-ons.

The owner when contacted added:
The first owner put about 5,000 mi on it, I purchased it from a 2nd owner
when it had 43,000 mi. 2nd Owner did put majority of mile on bike and did
some medium long day or two treks. That person also did majority of
maintenance on the bike and he was a fanatic about oil changes and service.
He had no major service or repair issues with the bike. I have that
persons contact info if those are must have questions answered.

Other than changing the oil and filter I have replaced a radiator coolant
valve since my ownership. The bike is very well maintained cosemetically
and mechanically.

So.....Any thoughts on the mileage or things I should ask about? I will be up in that area next week and could check it out with a friend who rides. Should I jump on this deal if it checks out all right!?!?

Thank you,
Chilly

I cannot post the link! But it is on Craigslist in South Florida for $3,600, 47,000 miles!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
First, welcome!

As for the bike, I didn't try to find the CL add but the deal sounds fair enough in general. What year / model is it?

You say it's well kitted. What are some of better bits that have been added?

Oh yeah, any idea if, or how many times (and how recently) the valves have been checked or adjusted?

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I believe that this is the bike you are looking at: https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/5028899408.html

I love the color, that is a big plus.

It looks to be a clean bike, but here are a few things I would ask about and look at.

1) Was the bike lowered? I ask this, because the rear tire looks like it is off the ground quite a bit when on the center stand.
2) Forks. Look for any signs of leaks and look at the dust seals and the fork stanchions for wear. At this age the dust seals on the forks may be cracking and need replacing. If you see any wear or discoloring on the stanchions by the seal, then the bushings may be worn out.
3) Chain and Rear Sprocket. Look at the chain for any frozen links and make sure the rear sprocket isn't worn out. I wish it was easy to look at the front sprocket as well, but you will need to assume it is at the same state as the rear.
4) Plastics. Look at all the plastics for any scratches or cracking.
5) Test ride. Have your friend ride the bike and make sure everything feels right. Shifting, accelerating, stopping, turning.
6) Maintenance. Has all the scheduled maintenance been completed? Especially the valve check.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice. I just left a message with the owner and may be able to see it on Wednesday. Wooo-haaaa!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice find, sir. If I hadn't bought my new Glee last month, I'd certainly have already bought this ride out from under you.

FWIW - I also agree that it looks like it was lowered...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts