StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year Everyone,

I've just been made aware of a product to counter ethanol water issues. The product is Ethanol Equalizer, by Performance Liquids.
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this or advice for me on the value of this product. I'm in NJ and we only have ethanol gas. Thanks in advance
Vinnie

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I haven't experienced any problems with e10 in Ca which is all we have here.

I do like and use Liquid Performance chain lube.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't have experience with that particular brand but I use the Sta-bil brand ethanol equalizer/fuel stabilizer. The manual for my 03V says fuel with "less than 10% ethanol" is permissible. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I use Startron which was recently rated the best in a MCN test of this type of product. An $8.00 bottle(Wally World) will treat 148 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I use an old formula my grandfather told me about called "ride the damn thing once in a while" and it's not an issue.

E10 is not an issue for a V-Strom, and you don't need to waste money dumping mouse milk in the gas.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I dont worry about it unless im storing it for a while. In which case i use high test as it typically does not contain ethanol around here and put some seafoam in the tank

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
818 Posts
I use Startron which was recently rated the best in a MCN test of this type of product. An $8.00 bottle(Wally World) will treat 148 gallons of fuel.
ditto :yesnod:

·
Registered
381 Posts
2 cycle engines

I recently heard from a good mechanic that I know that ethanol is hell on small engines (2 cycle), but at 10% or less on our engines we're OK. I don't know what the higher (15%) stuff will do to us if it becomes widespread.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
I've never had a problem with my Vee or my trucks with E10, I did have issue with my honda snowblower, but easily resolved my shuting fuel off and let run out of gas instead of turning ignition off, then drain float bowl.

surprisingly, my chain saw, a Husqvarna 455, I have NEVER had issue with, and I know I've used gas that has been mixed for over 3 months, I've let it set that long

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
327 Posts
The big issue with small engines was they were not designed for ethanol, therefore carb diaphragms and other fuel system parts deteriorated or gummed up, clogged lines with crud, etc...... PITA.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The engines in modern motorcycles (including the vstrom) are completely compatible with e10 gasoline. Manufacturers are not stupid, designing an engine without taking ethanol into consideration is something that hasn't been done in decades. This bike is even designed to run on 87 octane fuel to appeal to more people that don't want to purchase ridiculously priced high octane fuel.

Ethanol treatment is for carbureted engines or engines designed before e10 mandates. If you follow the suzuki maintenance schedule, this bike will go many hundreds of thousands of miles before needing a rebuild. Injectors, spark plugs, fuel lines and fuel pumps are not lifetime parts. They are wear and tear items designed to be replaced on a set schedule to prevent a failure on the road.

As many know there are many members and non-members that have over 100000 miles on their bikes, and a handful over 200000 and even 300000 miles. Spend your money on scheduled maintenance, use storage treatment for storage purposes. Your bike will run fine on ethanol and regular gas. Any mileage gains from high octane or fuel treatment is negated with the extra cost. It is literally pocket change in "savings" if you do the math.

There are many strom riders that beat their bike hard like I do and run regular fuel with no issues. I just hit 70000 miles, that'll be almost 30000 that I've put on the bike since last august and I've needed to replace my tps sensor, tires, and oil..... Just saying.

On a happy note, it's good to be back after a long break from the forum. Got a new car for the wife and I've been using her old one while I rewired my hack projector light install and led spots. Missed this place

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
I use an old formula my grandfather told me about called "ride the damn thing once in a while" and it's not an issue.

E10 is not an issue for a V-Strom, and you don't need to waste money dumping mouse milk in the gas.
Best for sure formula there is!:thumbup:

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
can't find a MSDS online to form an opinion, Liquid Performance's website is not very helpful either

sounds like it may be SNAKE OIL
There is allot of "snake oil" out there. ;)

·
Registered
877 Posts
This product, like any other fuel stabilizer designed to deal with water, is mostly just alcohol. Kind of ironic that the way to stabilize e10 is to simply add more alcohol.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've never had a problem with my Vee or my trucks with E10, I did have issue with my honda snowblower, but easily resolved my shuting fuel off and let run out of gas instead of turning ignition off, then drain float bowl.

surprisingly, my chain saw, a Husqvarna 455, I have NEVER had issue with, and I know I've used gas that has been mixed for over 3 months, I've let it set that long
I bought a very old Deere snowblower used in 2010. Each spring I shut off the fuel and run it out of gas but don't bother with the float bowl (maybe this year). We got our first real snowfall just before Xmas. I wheeled it out, opened the fuel valve, closed the choke, pushed the primer 4 times, and pulled the starter. Started easily on the first pull and ran perfectly. I've never needed the electric starter for this old beast. The gas I bought in November (ethanol free when convenient) and treated with Stabil is what I expect it to start on and run out the tank on a year later. Works like that every year so I see no need to do anything else. Think of what that 11 month experience says about your bike's winter nap. Don't worry. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
964 Posts
... fuel lines and fuel pumps are not lifetime parts. They are wear and tear items designed to be replaced on a set schedule to prevent a failure on the road. ...
That sure sounds like begging the question to me.

Fuel lines are "wear" parts BECAUSE the ethanol "wears" them out. I don't remember routine maintenance including frequent fuel line changes prior to the introduction of ethanol-blended fuel.

I had many cars built in the 70's and 80's than ran more than 10 years/ 100k miles on old-timey gasoline that never gave me a lick of trouble with the fuel line, tank, or pump. Same deal with countless mowers, outboards, blah, blah, blah. Fuel FILTERs would eventually clog, but fuel lines and plastic tanks never dissolved.

Maybe I'm alone, but experience with ethanol-blended fuels has not been good.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That sure sounds like begging the question to me.

Fuel lines are "wear" parts BECAUSE the ethanol "wears" them out. I don't remember routine maintenance including frequent fuel line changes prior to the introduction of ethanol-blended fuel.

I had many cars built in the 70's and 80's than ran more than 10 years/ 100k miles on old-timey gasoline that never gave me a lick of trouble with the fuel line, tank, or pump. Same deal with countless mowers, outboards, blah, blah, blah. Fuel FILTERs would eventually clog, but fuel lines and plastic tanks never dissolved.

Maybe I'm alone, but experience with ethanol-blended fuels has not been good.
You are correct on fuel system parts not being wear and tear items prior to ethanol. My 79 280zx runs through rubber lines every year, if I push it to two years, I'll usually have one bust while driving. My fuel system however, is spotless, 280000 miles and it's first rebuild, I tested and inspected the entire fuel system. Everything meets specs, and no gunk, deposits, varnishing, etc. it is fuel injected, so the computer can slightly compensate for e10. Rubber lines are my only problem, I need to switch to something more chemical and heat resistant. I believe both ethanol and extreme under hood temps contribute to my lines wearing out.

With that said, ethanol free gas is non-existent in south texas, including high octane. We must deal with it the only way we can. But ethanol additives do not remove ethanol from gasoline, they just combat the bad effects they have on older vehicles, a vstrom not being such a vehicle.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
From their website:
What does Ethanol Equalizer do to my gasoline?

Ethanol Equalizer helps keep the gasoline and ethanol bonded to each other regardless how much water is absorbed into the fuel.
I don't know whether this is doublespeak, nonspeak or just plain gobbledegook. It's brilliant, though, one of those statements that looks like it makes sense but is impossible to interpret. Some clever marketer earned his pay when he penned this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts