StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am looking at trading my Himalayan in on a used VStrom. It’s a 2015 650 XT ABS with 5000 miles. I want something comfortable, reliable that I can use on gravel, and for commuting. Any issues with this year or model? This is at a dealer, how is the asking price, $6300? It’s got Trekker Outback cases. Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Price seems high for a four year old bike. Are they charging any prep fees on top of that? What color is it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well it is a dealer, they love to do that! Doc fee, no other fees. Dark grey/silver. Any major issues with this generation?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just make sure that the stator recall has been done. Other than that, no issues. At least not with mine. Just for reference, mine was a zero mile 2015 bought in 2017. Price was ~$9K with the Suzuki panniers and the MRA windscreen. Plus tax, tag, title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just picked up my blue 2015 650DLA last week for $4300. 2k Miles, Givi top-case and tank bag. Garaged kept near new condition. Private owner.

·
Registered
353 Posts
At the bottom of that web page is this "fine print".

"Advertised pricing excludes applicable taxes title and licensing, dealer set up, destination, reconditioning and are subject to change without notice. Pricing may exclude any added parts, accessories or installation unless otherwise noted. Sale prices include all applicable offers. Not all options listed available on pre-owned models. Contact dealer for details."

Get an out the door price before you proceed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Same exact bike I have, and I love it, although mine is heavily farkled. Guarantee at least the rear tire is almost gone. Those tires absolutely sucked, and I am so much happier with the Shinko 705's. I'm sure the dealer will have a little room to lower the price.

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
That price is about a good $1500/$1700 too high, I love my 15XT by the way.....favorite bike to date.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Great bike. Stator recall, and other than that no problems. 33k miles on my bike so far.

Agree that the price is rich for a 4 year old bike. Mine was $9k out the door in May of 2016. It had one mile on it when I showed up to test drive it. You can find a clean used one with lots of farkles (extras) for less than that.

When buying a used V-Strom (I think) what-you-see-is-what-you-get. Kind of like a late model used Corolla, if it looks pretty clean, it probably is.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
just gave $6400 for mine, heavily farkled, had 7500 miles- jumped on it, did two weeks in southeast (2700 miles) without a hitch, no regrets, and had a blast!
the smoky Mountain roads were the best.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I gave about $6400 For my '15 XT with 6k on it. Maybe I paid too much but I'm enjoying a paid for bike with full insurance only $103 a year. That's a lot less than my Versys1000 was!
I did 800 miles on it last week just going to Houston and back and it never missed a beat.
Love the fact it runs on regular too.
Good, simple , comfortable bike!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have that bike, Bought it after setting on the dealers showroom for a year. Love it. Look up a bunch of comps and take them to the dealer and see if he'll deal. You will love it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was in the same situation, considering a low-mileage used 2015. However, I ended up getting a left-over 2018 XT model for just a couple of hundred bucks more. $6400. Granted, that didn't have bags on it, but I figured the traction control and a few other upgrades to the newer model made that a wash. I'll add a set of used bags.

For comparison, this was a month or two back, I found a 2015XT Adv. with under 5K miles that was advertised for $5200 and sold for under that. I think the guy took $4800 for it. I also found a couple of 2015XT models with the big sidecases, also with very low mileage for a couple of hundred more than that. They were all priced under $6K.

However, you're buying in the heart of the buying season. They may not wiggle too much on that price because a lot of buyers want a bike right now in the middle of summer. I find the best deals are usually off-season deals.

One other thing to consider, the square-rigger side bags on the 2015 are very wide. That gave me pause. I've snagged a Givi sidebag on another bike, and since then I try to keep things as narrow back there as I can. The 2017+ V-strom with factory sidecases is about 9 inches narrower. May not make any difference to you, but it's worth adding that to the equation. On the other hand you may rarely mount up the sidecases. Only you know your riding habits.

On the other hand, if you really like the bike, and a couple of hundred bucks isn't that big a deal, grab it. I've fretted more over missed deals than I ever have over a great bike I think I paid a little too much for. If you really like the bike, you rationalize that it was worth it. And in reality, it is. Good riding satisfaction is priceless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts