StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Alright guys who took my magnets? They were glued right here!

I took the title more as a tongue in cheek remark.
Tongues in cheeks happen just before a bite in the ass.:serious:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Duh!

What else would you have done in an emergency? When cars are whizzing by at 35 MPH.

For your information, I've been riding for 3 decades. This is first into ADV bikes.
I would have ridden without the lever, just like i drive on occasion with a broken clutch cable or master cylinder in the various cars I have owned. (I only drive manuals, or as you chaps would call them Sticks)

·
Registered
470 Posts
f Jag's for the Lucas electronics
Ah Joseph Lucas - the Prince of darkness.

And for the record Lucas doesn't do electronics, they barely understand electrics

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I thought this was satire, like from the Onion or something. .

·
Registered
54 Posts
I highly suspect someone tried to bend that lever at one time. Most aluminum failures are due to repeated strains or corrosion. Obviously not corrosion. Just yesterday the aluminum bar that my horns are mounted to snapped and the horn fell off. The previous owner mounted them on bar stock mounted on the forward part of the crash bars. His design didn't account for the vibration stress and strain they would experience in that location. I need to rework the mount.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Greywolf: I was going to ask about the clutch interlock, but bypassing makes sense - I should have thought of it, been there, done that in my roadster.

For others: Rev Matching up and down really isn't that hard, you just have to become familiar with what your transmission likes. And it's easier in a sequential gearbox than in a H pattern manual due to the constant mesh aspect. For those of us that prefer 'spirited' driving in cars - it's called heel-and-toe shifting. While braking with your heel, blip the throttle with your toe (or the other way around, some prefer heel on throttle) to bring the revs up to match the RPMs the next lower gear wants.
Truth is, I was surprised at how well the Glee does that - but then I've only been riding for a few months (discounting any riding done 40+ years ago) so perhaps that is typical.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Learned something today about how to start out without a clutch. Never happened on the wee but I know what to do if it does! I REALLY hope this thread lightens up a little.

I have had a ton of problems with BMW's over the years but I just dumped them as a brand and went back home to the Japanese bikes. The V-strom is as close to bulletproof as I have ever found. I think BMWguy was just blowing off steam about his new purchase.

No one knows what happened to the clutch lever and we will never know. Stuff happens. Cheap fix. You didn't get tee-boned by someone putting on their makeup on the beltway so it was a good day all in all. Be safe out there!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Greywolf: I was going to ask about the clutch interlock, but bypassing makes sense - I should have thought of it, been there, done that in my roadster.

For others: Rev Matching up and down really isn't that hard, you just have to become familiar with what your transmission likes. And it's easier in a sequential gearbox than in a H pattern manual due to the constant mesh aspect. For those of us that prefer 'spirited' driving in cars - it's called heel-and-toe shifting. While braking with your heel, blip the throttle with your toe (or the other way around, some prefer heel on throttle) to bring the revs up to match the RPMs the next lower gear wants.
Truth is, I was surprised at how well the Glee does that - but then I've only been riding for a few months (discounting any riding done 40+ years ago) so perhaps that is typical.
Yeah, but without using the clutch, blipping the throttle causes the car/bike to lurch forward under acceleration. Plus, since you're still connected to the rear wheel(s), you still have an engine speed/rear wheel speed mismatch you're trying to overcome when shifting into a lower gear.

I would think you'd skip the rear wheel if you did this too aggresively. Again, I haven't tried downshifting without a clutch (have tried it with upshifts)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, but without using the clutch, blipping the throttle causes the car/bike to lurch forward under acceleration. Plus, since you're still connected to the rear wheel(s), you still have an engine speed/rear wheel speed mismatch you're trying to overcome when shifting into a lower gear.

I would think you'd skip the rear wheel if you did this too aggresively. Again, I haven't tried downshifting without a clutch (have tried it with upshifts)
You preload the gear lever and blip the throttle a little, this will unload the gears allowing it to shift to the lower gear, if you blip the throttle too much, it will cause the bike to lurch as you described.
All about throttle control, same with clutchless shifts with truck crash boxes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
"The technique of shifting with out using the clutch is known as clutchless shifting or rev matching. It's a good technique to practice"

I agree it would be a good thing to practice, but i don't want to learn to do it on MY motorcycle. Since the local BMW dealer allows test rides however...

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
This would all be true *if* there was no slack in the driveline.

The driveline/ Chain slack (or shaft slop) helps in this case as it allows for an unloading of power to the wheels and that lets you blip the throttle and match revs.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
"The technique of shifting with out using the clutch is known as clutchless shifting or rev matching. It's a good technique to practice"

I agree it would be a good thing to practice, but i don't want to learn to do it on MY motorcycle. Since the local BMW dealer allows test rides however...
You probably are shifting pretty much without your clutch right now and not realizing it.

If you have ever done a perfect shift, one where there is no grinding, no sudden lurch faster or slower or rear wheel spinning or slipping, if the shift just went in perfectly then you basically shifted without your clutch. You might have disengaged it but doing that didn't really do anything to make the shift nice. Rather it was your perfect execution of throttle and the shift lever timing that made it happen.

If you do go through the exact same motions and pretend to pull in the clutch the shift will be exactly the same.

..Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Talk about calling the baby ugly! I would not expect much sympathy in this forum, esp. After the tone you take in your posting. Brake lever broke on a used bike ergo all Vstroms are junk. Logically this does not follow, and might irritate some readers, particilarly those of us with thousands of happy, trouble free miles. I also have been riding for awhile, and have owned a bike since '74, and my 2012--also bought used--is in the top three of the ones i have owned: reliable as a stone, does most thing well; never let me down. The only surprise i have is that the clutch lever only cost $20! That's gotta be a bargain in any one's book! Ride safe and smile! Tp

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Were you wearing any BMW branded clothing? If so, I suggest you sincerely apologize to your Strom.

It is quite possible you pissed your bike off.

P.S. - I am thinking its from an old drop and re-straighten event.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I'll need a PM from the OP to do a title change.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts