StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some engine guards for my 2014 Vee2. I'm thinking of getting both the SW Motech bars and skid plate together.

So on the crash bars - do you like them? Any Issues? Are they an even distance on both sides?

I saw a comment on one of the sites that indicated one side (left, I believe) stuck out further than the other, and that didn't sound good to me, if it were in fact the case. It was probably just a one-off issue but before I order them I'd like to get some input.

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look at the Givi crash guards too.
I have, thanks. I just prefer the SW Motech skid plate design, and that the bars are powdercoated, as opposed to painted on the Givi. And the way they fit together.

·
Registered
858 Posts
They're the ones that come stock on the "adventure" model.
I love 'em. Dropped my bike 4 times - all on pavement - just scratched the bars no other effects. No damage to bike.
Friend went over a hill on a rocky road and lost it on the downhill side going a pretty good clip.
Bent the left bar in about 1" which we struggled to pull it out with a come-along. Rocks were able to crack the plastic above the bars. No damage to anything behind the bars. Frame sliders wouldn't have helped on the rocky road.
I call that pretty good protection.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The givi's provide decent protection, but they do scratch up quite a bit. I've dropped mine more times than soap in the shower and never any damage to the bike.

·
Registered
525 Posts
dont get the sw-motech ones they are too low they dont protect the plastic thats on the tank.
i switched to touratech after i crashed the bike (got hit by a car).

you can see that touratech is the only one that covers the little plastic nub thats in the tank
in order there is touratech,givi,sw-motech

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That's great input, but surely the plastic on the tank isn't that expensive to replace, is it? I figure the radiator is the most mission critical component and to me the SW Motech covers well in that area. On the other hand, as much as I love the looks of the Touratech, it leaves a pretty large hole in the middle, if the bike fell on a rock it might still strike the radiator. The Givi seems to cover both.. but it sure doesn't match the lines of the bike in any way.

Thanks for your great input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My personal preference (for protection & looks) is the Touratech crash bar with the Motech skid plate.

Does anyone know if these fit together?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My personal preference (for protection & looks) is the Touratech crash bar with the Motech skid plate.

Does anyone know if these fit together?
I believe you would need to get the version of the SW Motech skid plate that is listed for "no crash bars" and it should have front support arms. The Touratech crash bars then share the mount point on the frame. But that's just conjecture on my part, I haven't tried it. Maybe call them and ask?

·
Registered
525 Posts
That's great input, but surely the plastic on the tank isn't that expensive to replace, is it? I figure the radiator is the most mission critical component and to me the SW Motech covers well in that area. On the other hand, as much as I love the looks of the Touratech, it leaves a pretty large hole in the middle, if the bike fell on a rock it might still strike the radiator. The Givi seems to cover both.. but it sure doesn't match the lines of the bike in any way.

Thanks for your great input.
cost of the plastic 119 buck

fell on a rocky muddy trail the touratech took all the damage and btw the radiator is protected by the plastic covers regardless

Reactions: jrb_nw

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have both. The SW Motech skid plate provides the most coverage. If you ride off road, the SW Motech skid plate is the way to go. Bike does not have tons of clearance. Quite a few other skid plates leave your exhaust exposed.

The SW Motech crash bars do not go as high up as the others, but they stick out a bit. Would have to be quite a tumble to scratch the tank and plastics.

If installed properly the crash bars are evenly spaced on both sides. Read the instructions before install!

Cheers!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 2stroke.. it does look very beefy. Thanks for your input..

Reactions: 2stroke

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have both. The SW Motech skid plate provides the most coverage. If you ride off road, the SW Motech skid plate is the way to go. Bike does not have tons of clearance. Quite a few other skid plates leave your exhaust exposed.

The SW Motech crash bars do not go as high up as the others, but they stick out a bit. Would have to be quite a tumble to scratch the tank and plastics.

If installed properly the crash bars are evenly spaced on both sides. Read the instructions before install!

Cheers!
Great feedback.. just what I needed.. thanks..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Steve!

·
Registered
74 Posts
question !

i already have a givi skid plate can i run Sw engine guards ?

I know theres cross compatibility issues

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm quite certain you can. It is the skid plates which sometimes require a certain configuration of crash bar, to support the front of the plate. The Givi skid plate is a standalone setup as it attaches to the engine. You should be fine with Motech, or any other bars.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts