StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I have read articles on the changes made and the reviews on the new version of the DL, but wanted to get feedback from those who have owned both models and hear real world experiences with them. Would like to hear the differences you have experienced such as power, ergonomics, fit & finish, handling, suspension, off road characteristics, etc. Whatever you would like to share about your new model. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I went from a K8 Vee (1000) down to a 2012 Wee. Power, not as much as the Vee, but that's pretty easy to figure. The engine, tranny is a lot smoother, quieter, and almost no vibes at all. Some on here have stated it almost feels electric, and I'll agree with that, and it's VERY quiet. Seating posistion seems to be a little more cramped stock, as far as peg to seat dimensions, but with the optional tall seat and a peg lowering kit-problem fixed (I have 38" inseams). Clutch pull is extremely light, far better than my hyd. clutch on the other bikes I've owned. Brakes and suspension feel firmer than my Vee, even with Sonic fork springs. Overall the bike feels a lot lighter and more nimble than anything I personally have rode, and mines getting 55+ MPG so far. Instrimentation is another big improvement, with the gear indicator, thermometer, and MPG calculator, plus it still has the clock, dual odometers, fuel and temp guages, the dimmer is nice, and it's easy to read everything in sunlight. I really like the switch to toggle between the clock and thermometer being on the handlebars now.I know you wanted a previous 650 owner's view, but I rode one of the old models also (650) and this one's--so far--better. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I had an 07 Vee, my wife the 08 Wee,and put plenty of miles on both of them. When she decided to sell her 650, I almost kept it and sold my 1K, but the Vee was better set up for touring, so I kept it. The Vee got totaled last fall by a pickup truck, so I took delivery of one of the first Orange 650's into Southern Oregon. The bike feels 'smaller', lighter, and faster than the old 650. Not so top heavy in turns or parking lots, and the fueling is so spot on, it's just so smooth, no stumbling or lurching at any speed in any gear. It seems to pull harder than the 08 650 did, even two up, it's easy to ride and pass cars. The seat is many times better, the seat on the old 650 was torture in 5 minutes or less, the 1K a little better, but I replaced the Vee's seat with a Suzuki Gel. I may just leave this seat as stock, it is really OK. As stated above, the instrumentation is very nice, it has several things lots of guys try to add to their bikes, temperature, gear indicator, mpg readout, etc. It's like they kept all the good stuff, improved a bunch of it, and even softened up the look of the bike a little bit, I'll never forget the first Vstrom I was shown by a proud new owner, years ago at a Christmas toy run, I thought it was about the ugliest bike I'd ever seen... I was on a Suzuki LC1500... a couple years later, I was trading in that 1500 for the 07 DL1000, and I loved that bike... but, the new model is really, really nice, and a pretty good looking bike too. Fit and finish, much, much nicer, it doesn't have those massive slabs of plastic on the sides that don't match up well with the trim around top, it all fits together better, and just looks better put together.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
K6->L2

Better pretty much everywhere - except the mirrors :)

Suspension is a lot better, I ride off road and swapped the aftermarket rear from my K6->L2 - it was an improvement, but not the massive gain it was on the K6. Front for me is fine stock, the K6 it was poor.

Handling is a lot better. The K6 was pretty good, but the L2 has superb handling.

More power, that and the wider power band make it a lot faster bike than the raw power gains indicate, particularly if there are bends in the road. Real world/non suicide seeking riding it doesn't really give anything away to the sportsbikes in the tight stuff.

Seating is good.

Ergo's - bars are to far forward for me. I think I'll have to get a long brake line so I can move them back further.

Finish is better, and there's quite a bit of attention to detail.

Off road it's better, less prone to fall over and lie down, generally a bit easier to manage. For me the ABS just works on dirt as well, and the wider power band is a big win when it gets nasty.

Pete

·
Registered
41 Posts
2012 seems to be directing more heat towards the rider - it was only 80F this evening, my upper body was cool in the breeze, but from the belt down - very uncomfortable (Olympia Airglide). Can't imagine what it will be during summer.

Minor but irritating:
Tachometer was better before; new one uses only half the circle. Why do I need to hold a button for two seconds just to see the time?! (Or temperature?)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Minor but irritating:
... Why do I need to hold a button for two seconds just to see the time?! (Or temperature?)
Back in my day we had no levers. When it was hot you were sweating, cold you shivered and if you wanted to know the time you checked your watch!

:mod2_whistling:

Reactions: wetdogbone

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hold the button for two whole seconds

Cecil, I'm like you. these young ones have it so tough. Can you imagine having to kick start a motorcycle. Or, because your foot is so sore from trying to get it started that you must revert to push starting it. Yes, life is so tough nowdays.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Why do I need to hold a button for two seconds just to see the time?! (Or temperature?)
Get a stick on clock or thermometer and rest your weary finger, man. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Versus my 2006 Wee, the most notable improvements for me include the upgraded suspension, reduced vibration in the handlebars and much better wind management - at least on the Adventure model.

The seat height feels slightly higher to me making it a bit more difficult to back the bike up with my 31' inseam. Contemplating lowering links.

There is also a longer reach to bars so I find myself constantly scooting forward to ease shoulder strain, but then end up in the narrow front portion of the seat which is not as comfortable. My 2006 seat was uncomforable no matter where you sat, but never felt I was over reaching to the bars. I may need to invest in bar backs.

I will always prefer the simple dial analog gauges on the 2006, but enjoy the extra features of the new instrument cluster and like the white background. I also enjoy looking at the new Wee, not something I did much with the less than attractive older model.

·
Administrator
14,224 Posts
Minor but irritating:
Tachometer was better before; new one uses only half the circle. Why do I need to hold a button for two seconds just to see the time?! (Or temperature?)
I leave mine on temperature (an important saftey display if you ride in the conditions I ride) and let my GPS show me the time so I haven't found that much of an issue.

..Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Get a stick on thermometer
That's what I had on 07. And I didn't mind. My problem is the engineers knew that has to be done, but didn't bother thinking it through. I'm sure in another ten years Suzuki will get it right.

I'm surprised there are no comments in the vein "more engine heat on the rider is good"...

let my GPS show me the time
Agree. GPS also shows the speed, so it's OK to have inaccurate speedometer that takes half the dash.

It's been almost half a year since I've ridden my 07 for the last time, but I think I get more vibration from 2012. There seems to be pronounced engine vibration at around 4K and (not related to engine speed) vibration at 20 mph. I will try removing SW-Motech crashbars and experimenting more.

·
Administrator
14,224 Posts
Hello. I have read articles on the changes made and the reviews on the new version of the DL, but wanted to get feedback from those who have owned both models and hear real world experiences with them. Would like to hear the differences you have experienced such as power, ergonomics, fit & finish, handling, suspension, off road characteristics, etc. Whatever you would like to share about your new model. Thank you!

I have a 2006 with over 202,000 km/125,500 miles on it.

My 2006 was nicely broken in and over time I had the ergos setup perfectly for me. I have had my NewStrom for 35 days and have about 5,800 km or about 3,600 miles.

My thoughts:

NewStrom certainly feels like a higher quality, better built bike. Fit and finish seem much better and the styling is somewhat less ugly (but that's a matter of taste.)

I really love the digital information. Temperature and fuel mileage readouts are things I have been used to in my cars since the early 80's and I love that my NewStrom has them. I initially wasn't overly fond of the digital speed readout even though the vehicles I work with have had them for over 15 years. The digital speed updates more quickly than GPS speed readout so that took some time to get used to and now I have no issue with it. I like that I can change to MPH when I head into the USA. I don't like the speedo error - I have a raceratb faceplate on my OldStrom that made it right on but have mentally adapted for now. (I am thinking about a sprocket change to 16 tooth so that will make the speedo closer to correct or may get a speedo healer.)

Ergos for me were not as nicely setup stock as my OldStrom, but I guess that was to be expected. I have added a set of up-and-back risers and that made a big difference for me comfort wise. I bought the tall seat and, while the NewStrom Seat is much more comfy than the Stock OldStrom seat, it is nothing near as comfy as my Corbin so I will need to change that in the future. Buffeting stock was much better than on the OldStrom stock, but I added a Madstad to that and now have to my Newstrom as well. So far I am happy with the Madstad and my old Givi Screen.

The NewStrom fires up much more readily than my OldStrom (which always started well, NewStrom seems to jump to life!) The NewStrom makes much less mechanical nose and gives a better feeling of quality than the OldStrom. Now, my OldStrom had a 16 tooth Sprocket and the NewStrom has the stock 15, but there is noticeably more power everywhere in the rev range. It just pulls strongly any time. The throttle response is also much more immediate.. it seems to jump and any requests I give it through the throttle. (I have gotten used tio it but on occasion I give it a bit much at low speed.) I had read reviews of the engine being smoother.. I can’t say that mine is. It seems to have as much vibration or perhaps a bit more than my OldStrom but some of that might be the result of the lightweight seat on the new bike vs the heavy Corbin Seat damping the vibrations on the old bike; or perhaps the throttles aren’t synced as well as they could be.

Clutch is lighter than OldStrom. The transmission shifts quite a bit easier than before and this was noticeable from day one. You can be a little bit sloppy in clutchless shifts and the tranny forgives you. It goes through the rev range much quicker than before.. more torque everywhere. The only downside is the (500 rpm lower) redline comes much quicker. I found mine has come up off the front wheel a few times when I wasn’t expecting it. Not quite the torque monster of the DL1000 but certainly better than the OldStrom. The stock brakes are way better than the EBC Semi Metallic brakes I had on my Oldstrom. I can’t say for sure but I swear there is much less hand/foot effort for the same braking than before. The ABS works very well. I didn’t have ABS previously on any bike and this system works as expected. I like that I can use the front brake very hard on slippery roads instead of having to gingerly look for the traction point. As a result I can get more use of the brakes sooner in those conditions.

The springs and shocks are much better than what I recall my old Strom had stock. There could be some improvement with the way damping works up front but I don’t feel any strong need to upgrade either end, and found that full pre-load seems too much for my weight (currently around 240 lbs) I have been riding a lot with my Girlfriend on the back. She’s fairly light but no problem suspension-wise with both of us on the bike and a full topcase. I added a Fork Brace (from my OldStrom) and can’t say the improvement was nearly as dramatic as it was on the OldStrom. I rode in some heavy winds this past weekend and stock the NewStrom handled things as well as the Oldstrom (which I am able to ride in 50 mph crosswinds hands off.)

So, is it worth the upgrade?

I think if you had an older DL650 that is running fine I would just keep riding it for a long time, but if it is time to replace your old Strom; the NewStrom is a nice improvement. I loved my OldStrom. i love my NewStrom.

..Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
I leave mine on temperature (an important saftey display if you ride in the conditions I ride) and let my GPS show me the time so I haven't found that much of an issue.

..Tom
Tom,

Just an interesting note, when I have my display showing the time and the temp drops into the 30's F, the display auto switches to temp and the Ice Warning light starts flashing.

Trivial I know, but you could leave it on the clock display if you so choose.

-Kevin

·
Administrator
14,224 Posts
Tom,

Just an interesting note, when I have my display showing the time and the temp drops into the 30's F, the display auto switches to temp and the Ice Warning light starts flashing.

Trivial I know, but you could leave it on the clock display if you so choose.

-Kevin
Good tip! I do like seeing the temp regardless as I can see the time on my GPS anyway.

..Tom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a 2006 with over 202,000 km/125,500 miles on it.

My 2006 was nicely broken in and over time I had the ergos setup perfectly for me. I have had my NewStrom for 35 days and have about 5,800 km or about 3,600 miles.

My thoughts:

NewStrom certainly feels like a higher quality, better built bike. Fit and finish seem much better and the styling is somewhat less ugly (but that's a matter of taste.)

I really love the digital information. Temperature and fuel mileage readouts are things I have been used to in my cars since the early 80's and I love that my NewStrom has them. I initially wasn't overly fond of the digital speed readout even though the vehicles I work with have had them for over 15 years. The digital speed updates more quickly than GPS speed readout so that took some time to get used to and now I have no issue with it. I like that I can change to MPH when I head into the USA. I don't like the speedo error - I have a raceratb faceplate on my OldStrom that made it right on but have mentally adapted for now. (I am thinking about a sprocket change to 16 tooth so that will make the speedo closer to correct or may get a speedo healer.)

Ergos for me were not as nicely setup stock as my OldStrom, but I guess that was to be expected. I have added a set of up-and-back risers and that made a big difference for me comfort wise. I bought the tall seat and, while the NewStrom Seat is much more comfy than the Stock OldStrom seat, it is nothing near as comfy as my Corbin so I will need to change that in the future. Buffeting stock was much better than on the OldStrom stock, but I added a Madstad to that and now have to my Newstrom as well. So far I am happy with the Madstad and my old Givi Screen.

The NewStrom fires up much more readily than my OldStrom (which always started well, NewStrom seems to jump to life!) The NewStrom makes much less mechanical nose and gives a better feeling of quality than the OldStrom. Now, my OldStrom had a 16 tooth Sprocket and the NewStrom has the stock 15, but there is noticeably more power everywhere in the rev range. It just pulls strongly any time. The throttle response is also much more immediate.. it seems to jump and any requests I give it through the throttle. (I have gotten used tio it but on occasion I give it a bit much at low speed.) I had read reviews of the engine being smoother.. I can’t say that mine is. It seems to have as much vibration or perhaps a bit more than my OldStrom but some of that might be the result of the lightweight seat on the new bike vs the heavy Corbin Seat damping the vibrations on the old bike; or perhaps the throttles aren’t synced as well as they could be.

Clutch is lighter than OldStrom. The transmission shifts quite a bit easier than before and this was noticeable from day one. You can be a little bit sloppy in clutchless shifts and the tranny forgives you. It goes through the rev range much quicker than before.. more torque everywhere. The only downside is the (500 rpm lower) redline comes much quicker. I found mine has come up off the front wheel a few times when I wasn’t expecting it. Not quite the torque monster of the DL1000 but certainly better than the OldStrom. The stock brakes are way better than the EBC Semi Metallic brakes I had on my Oldstrom. I can’t say for sure but I swear there is much less hand/foot effort for the same braking than before. The ABS works very well. I didn’t have ABS previously on any bike and this system works as expected. I like that I can use the front brake very hard on slippery roads instead of having to gingerly look for the traction point. As a result I can get more use of the brakes sooner in those conditions.

The springs and shocks are much better than what I recall my old Strom had stock. There could be some improvement with the way damping works up front but I don’t feel any strong need to upgrade either end, and found that full pre-load seems too much for my weight (currently around 240 lbs) I have been riding a lot with my Girlfriend on the back. She’s fairly light but no problem suspension-wise with both of us on the bike and a full topcase. I added a Fork Brace (from my OldStrom) and can’t say the improvement was nearly as dramatic as it was on the OldStrom. I rode in some heavy winds this past weekend and stock the NewStrom handled things as well as the Oldstrom (which I am able to ride in 50 mph crosswinds hands off.)

So, is it worth the upgrade?

I think if you had an older DL650 that is running fine I would just keep riding it for a long time, but if it is time to replace your old Strom; the NewStrom is a nice improvement. I loved my OldStrom. i love my NewStrom.

..Tom
Tom-

I cannot provide a comparision from a former Wee to the new Wee that I now own. I will say that your write up is excellent and I agree with your positive points about the new Wee. Great write up sir!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Tom-

I cannot provide a comparision from a former Wee to the new Wee that I now own. I will say that your write up is excellent and I agree with your positive points about the new Wee. Great write up sir!
This much would have been fine without quoting Tom's entire post. Any time a quote is way longer than the post about it, consider whether the full quote is needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Confirmed, mine just did that on my way back from the dealer,even had some snow flakes to confirm that it's cccold today. Although i've been only an hour on the bike, i tend to agree with V-Tom's previous comment :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts