StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to an incident I'd rather not recount, my right rear turn signal got intimately acquainted with a rock last weekend, and was much worse for wear.

Is there a glue, epoxy, etc. which works on the black plastic of the turn signal housing? I've used electrical tape to put Humpty Dumpty (the shell) back together again - just by piecing the fragments together. This time, though, the plastic post to which the lamp socket is screwed inside the shell got cracked loose. So that turn signal lamp is now floating loose on its wires in the (taped together) shell. Not ideal, especially when I'm riding offroad. That lamp is going to bounce around like the dickens and eventually break.

Tape won't work to put that post back where it belongs. It supports a decent amount of force, due to the stiff turn signal wires & the screw holding the lamp socket in place.

I tried Loctite Repair Extreme adhesive. No dice. Even given a generous application and a full 24 hours to cure, it acted like rubber cement. Not chemically compatible with the turn signal plastic, apparently.

Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel was similarly fruitless. It stuck, but the resulting joint was so brittle that the post cracked right off again, when I was driving in the screw that holds the lamp socket in place.

Is a two-part epoxy of some sort the answer? I don't know which one to use.

Are there aftermarket replacements for the turn signal housings that are fairly low-effort to install? I'm not paying $60+ for a factory turn signal housing that will just get broken again, but I might see fit if there's a fairly cheap replacement. Especially if it doesn't require a major re-wiring project.

I know there are "flush mount" replacements for the front signals, but the rear signals are a bit different.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Huh, never tried that on plastic before. Got some, guess I'll give it a shot.

Also attempting a shoe repair - results tomorrow-ish.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use Goop plumbing adhesive for anything that's difficult to glue.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'll give Goop a shot if JB Weld doesn't pan out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I just repaired all 4 of my blinker stalks. I used some epoxy glue, then glued some small pieces of metal strips to each side of the stalks, and finally, wrapped electrical tape around the stalks. Looks good from 5 feet away and my stalks are straight and upright again. Hoping this will work for a bit, but I'm looking for some Buell blinkers for a back up.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't quite believe it was that easy, but it looks like JB Weld did the job. I let it cure overnight as recommended.

The shoe repair was also successful.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I didn't glue mine. Just splinted them with metal on the bottom and back and wrapped with electrical tape. Straight and don't look awful. And since they are not glued the previous break acts as a break away point when I drop the bike again. Straighten and re-tape and back on my way. I keep a "repair kit" on the bike. 2 metal splints and a roll of electrical tape...lol

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I didn't try to glue the cracked shell back together. It's going to be a really weak joint (not much contact area), and tape both holds it together and forms a seal. So I used tape on the rest of the shell, JB Weld on the post that holds the signal lamp socket. Looks like she'll stay together a while longer.

Electrical tape goes on every ride. Occasionally, I actually use it for something electrical.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Never had to use it on my Wee, but JB Weld kept a turn signal mounted on my FZ6 for years. It only broke when I dropped it on the same side again.

·
Registered
944 Posts
That plastic is "weldable" using a 40W solder iron to melt the plastic back together, especially that thin shell that tends to crack in a drop. I've extended the life of my blinkers numerous times but at some point you'll have to bite the bullet and replace.

Reactions: Big B

·
Administrator
17,366 Posts
Crash bars aren’t protecting the signals? I’ve dropped my 15XT more than a few times with zero damage anywhere, of course the soft bags or panniers do help tremendously with that.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Crash bars aren’t protecting the signals? I’ve dropped my 15XT more than a few times with zero damage anywhere, of course the soft bags or panniers do help tremendously with that.
Unfortunately, no not always.

Right side bar is bent in quite a bit. On some drops, it seems like the bike rolls a bit farther which taps that front right turn signal on the ground/pavement.

It's worse on an irregular dirt road with rocks in it (like last weekend).

I appreciate the Givi side case's sacrifice. Though my right rear turn signal got smashed, it seems like the case breaking away prevented damage to the luggage rack and exhaust.

I have a gpx file of the route. It will be interesting to see how fast I was actually going when the drop happened.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I reassembled a shattered signal after my '09 had a brief affair with gravity (the tramp,) using Krazy Glue. The signal is in my parts box, still together and almost tough as new. Never had luck using JB Weld on plastic, however.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been lucky on the front turn signal. So far only the shell has shattered. That's easier to repair overall IMO. I half-assed it using electrical tape, because I knew I was going to break it again (and hey, I was right!). :)

I wouldn't have thought about JB Weld first for fixin' plastic, but it sure worked for me. Just checked it after a nice long ride today, & the repair is still solid.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks Gert. Didn't want to cut my stalks down but it looks just fine so I'll probably do it here in a few weeks along with some other stuff.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Gorilla tape.

I've sort of given up on the stupid things, to be honest. The stalks have just crumbled due to age and sun, so they're mostly duct tape now. As long as they still blink and the lenses are in one piece, I'll just put up with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts