StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been searching here, over at ADVrider and elsewhere for the standard comparisons:

650 vs 1000
Strom vs BMW
etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...you get the picture.​

One thing that I haven't read either because I couldn't find it our just didn't see it was which one you would buy used.

Obviously a new BMW compared to a new Strom are worlds apart, but used BMW's in many flavors can be had for $7k and under.

That being said, if you had $5k to spend, would you get the Strom again or try something else?

·
Registered
341 Posts
You can buy a new Strom for the price of a used BMW. The BMW 800's don't come down to new Strom territory until they are at least 3 years old. Then there is the issue of how people ride them. Unless you know the guy, you will never know if his "shift points" were redline or he really took care of the bike.

As an example, I looked at a BMW R1150. The bike had 3,000 miles on it and the tires were worn far more on the side then the center. I walked way.

Last but not least, a few grand wont hurt to get a new bike and break it in properly. In my view, I rather spend a little more and keep it a little longer then be unhappy or unsure about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same question. I just sold my KLR650 in favor of a bigger bike. I am looking at the Wee and Ulysses and Versys and frankly any other bike in the category that I can afford.

So I second the question with an addition:

If you had $5K what would you buy?

If you had $6 or $7K would it be different?

I have more than a year to do the research so keep 'em coming.

CPTD

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had $5k a couple years ago and looked at all the bikes you mentioned and more and bought a strom. Without a doubt it is the best $5k bike on the market and you can get one for even less these days. The Ulysses runs like a tractor, the Versys is OK but can't do everything a strom can do. The bmw's are high mileage before they get to the 5k mark and if you are looking at this price point you can't afford the bmw maintenance anyway.

For 6 or 7K, I'd get some more farkles or take a trip on my Wee. A buddy has a Tiger 1050. This might be a nice bike for the cash if it fits your needs. For me it is too big to commute with.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Very good points from Spartan and Bikefree.

For a particular price-point, the V-Strom has a lot going for it.
A new Strom beats a used BM-whatsit every time.
And a reasonably-cared-for second-hand Strom at lower age/mileage beats a reasonably-cared-for Whatsit at high age or mileage.

It's much more than a matter of running costs / maintenance & parts.
It's the reliability thing.

Speaking very generally, I'd rather be riding along the road and enjoying the whole motorbike experience (despite any minor imperfections, warts & blemishes) than standing alongside the most beautiful bike in the world, on a lonely road, listening to a rapidly cooling engine - and wondering how the hell I could deal with the "failing to proceed" problem which has just ruined the day [or the week, or the wallet too].

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
It's much more than a matter of running costs / maintenance & parts.
The BMW's require high octane gas.

There is a fuel economy aspect to this, but more importantly, I've been places where we couldn't find "luxury gas" for my wife's Harley - at any price.

As far a seeing a bike that appears to have been ridden hard, I'd be more concerned that it 's had its regular servicing done. Ask for receipts. Worn tires can be the sign of an experienced rider/owner. Which could be a good thing.

An inexperienced rider is more likely to have dropped the thing a few times, albeit at low speed. A first-time owner is more likely to have not performed proper chain maintenance. Or to have winterized the bike correctly.

If I was bikeless and had $5,000 in my pocket, I'd look for the most farked ABS DL650 with the least miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome responses. I knew I could get the straight poop from members here. The guy at BMW Detroit was really drinking the cool-aid when I talked to him today. Very nice guy mind you, but when I asked him if I could do general maintenance, he said that I could do an oil change myself and anything else I would have to bring in for service.

The R1100RS and RT are cool looking bikes though.

Am thinking of selling my XR400...I just don't heal as quickly as I used to after taking spills on it. The proceeds from that plus another $3k and I'll be buying something different.

·
Registered
808 Posts
*snip*

Then there is the issue of how people ride them. Unless you know the guy, you will never know if his "shift points" were redline or he really took care of the bike.

As an example, I looked at a BMW R1150. The bike had 3,000 miles on it and the tires were worn far more on the side then the center. I walked way.

Last but not least, a few grand wont hurt to get a new bike and break it in properly. In my view, I rather spend a little more and keep it a little longer then be unhappy or unsure about it.
Honestly, those are good things in my mind. Someone who knows how to ride and pushes their machinery (especially if it's an expensive bike) will maintain it well, too. And it'll be more than "a few grand" for a new bike versus used.

As for the Detroit BMW dealer, well, it's not "drinking the kool-aid" if you can convince buyers that they 'need' to have the bike serviced at the dealer. It's salesmanship :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was where you are now last fall. Over the last several years of having done the used Beemer thing and somewhat wish I hadn't, did the Harley/cruiser thing (fun for a while but quickly lost interest), & the naked sport bike thing (fun for 'round town & short trips but to me touring-challenged) & wanting to stay under $10k, I chose a gently used k9 Wee with ~8k miles. Unfortunately zero farkles. I think my budget would have to have been well over $12k to have possibly swayed me to another adv/tourer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You may not heal as fast as you once did, but none of those bikes will take you as far back into the boonies as the XR will. Keep the XR if you can and add the Wee. Then you've got all bases covered.

·
Registered
628 Posts
when I asked him if I could do general maintenance, he said that I could do an oil change myself and anything else I would have to bring in for service.
This is not necessarily true, depending on the Beemer you buy and your capabilities. You should be able to do the majority of the maintenance/minor repair on the oil-head models as long as you stay away from the ABS units that need a computer to change the brake fluid.

If I were in your place and considering a change in bikes to one that is primarily for on-road riding, I would try and find an R1150R, with ABS and dual spark plugs. They made this bike starting in '04/'05 for about two years. (Even an R1200R would be very OK but would be more expensive.) Mileage in the 50-60K range wouldn't bother me as long as the maintenance records were available/believable and the bike looked to be in reasonable condition. Unfortunately, it will need a higher grade fuel than the Wee but it can be set up for anything from long distance touring to short, fast day rides.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
So I've been searching here, over at ADVrider and elsewhere for the standard comparisons:

650 vs 1000
Strom vs BMW
etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...you get the picture.​

One thing that I haven't read either because I couldn't find it our just didn't see it was which one you would buy used.

Obviously a new BMW compared to a new Strom are worlds apart, but used BMW's in many flavors can be had for $7k and under.

That being said, if you had $5k to spend, would you get the Strom again or try something else?
Been there, done that.

Bought an R1150GS 2000 model, cost $8,000
Then spent almost $6,000 on repairs in the twelve months I owned it.

Bought my 09 Wee brand new for less than I spent buying and maintaining the GS for twelve months of ownership and 25,000km

Would I buy another BMW [new or second hand]?
Maybe a pre 1975 one as a collector type bike to ride on odd weekends.
Or maybe a mid to late 80's model K100 [again, had one and it seemed good; although I didn't do huge km's in the time I owned it. Did some interstate runs on it and enjoyed them though.], but it won't go where the Wee does.

Would I buy another WeeStrom [new or second hand]?
Without a seconds hesitation, I would.

Based on my own bike, something like 38,000km in the first year of ownership, having no problems at all.
As well as the posts you see here from people who have bought both new and second hand Wee's [and Vee's] with next to no problems or issues regarding the bikes, even with some big miles on the clock.

The Wee has proved to be more reliable and just as much fun to ride compared to the Beemer [and in some cases actually handles dirt better than the GS did]

The Wee is also around 40% cheaper to maintain and repair.

As mentioned by others, by the time a BMW gets cheap enough to fit the price bracket you mention- it has reached the point of needing lots of dollars spent just to keep it on the road.

No question, I would definitely buy another Wee- either new or used, depending on how many dollars I had spare to spend at the time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I partially based my decision to buy a Wee on the price of insurance. I think that needs to be part of any motorcycle purchase. Some bikes are tremendously high in insurance cost. That being said I would include a Suzuki Bandit 1200-1250 in my search for a road machine.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
The bmw's are high mileage before they get to the 5k mark and if you are looking at this price point you can't afford the bmw maintenance anyway.
Wise words, indeed!

I would buy another Wee if I had to do it all over again. I've ridden my Buddy's F800gs, and it's a cool bike, but for over $13k [what he paid new], it's nowhere near twice as good. I actually prefer the motor in the Wee to the F800's mill, and like any BMW owner, he's experienced the "oh, by the way" recall after recall notices [and $200 oil changes at the dealer!]. One good thing bout the BMW dealers is that they actually have bike-days where they'll let you demo various BMW. No other bike dealers do this.

And, before my newbie buddy got his F800, he had me test ride an old mid 70's BMW, and OMG what a crude, weird handling, SLOOOOWWWW, uninspiring ride it was. Those old Beemers may look cool, but ride one sometime - you'll really really appreciate how far moto's have come since Fred Flintstone days.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Been there, done that.

Bought an R1150GS 2000 model, cost $8,000
Then spent almost $6,000 on repairs in the twelve months I owned it.

Bought my 09 Wee brand new for less than I spent buying and maintaining the GS for twelve months of ownership and 25,000km

Would I buy another BMW [new or second hand]?
Maybe a pre 1975 one as a collector type bike to ride on odd weekends.
Or maybe a mid to late 80's model K100 [again, had one and it seemed good; although I didn't do huge km's in the time I owned it. Did some interstate runs on it and enjoyed them though.], but it won't go where the Wee does.

Would I buy another WeeStrom [new or second hand]?
Without a seconds hesitation, I would.

Based on my own bike, something like 38,000km in the first year of ownership, having no problems at all.
As well as the posts you see here from people who have bought both new and second hand Wee's [and Vee's] with next to no problems or issues regarding the bikes, even with some big miles on the clock.

The Wee has proved to be more reliable and just as much fun to ride compared to the Beemer [and in some cases actually handles dirt better than the GS did]

The Wee is also around 40% cheaper to maintain and repair.

As mentioned by others, by the time a BMW gets cheap enough to fit the price bracket you mention- it has reached the point of needing lots of dollars spent just to keep it on the road.

No question, I would definitely buy another Wee- either new or used, depending on how many dollars I had spare to spend at the time.

+1

I came to my Strom from a 99' R1100RT (which was a good bike) but the reliability of the Transmissions and Final Drives and horror stories of being stranded in BFE and having to wait three weeks for a trans rebuild at $2500 or $1200 for a FD not to mention the constant shrinking of an already tiny dealer network was more than I wanted to deal with...hence the move back to Suzuki. (and the new BMW's as so Hi-tech, other than oil changes, they must be serviced by the dealer...in fact the dealer has to reset the oil change reminder light)

Would buy another BMW...NO. Would I buy another Strom...YES, without hesitation, in a heartbeat, for sure!

IMO Best bang for the buck!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
The bmw's are high mileage before they get to the 5k mark and if you are looking at this price point you can't afford the bmw maintenance anyway.
First let me say that I wouldn't trade my '07 Wee for TWO BMWs...well, yes I would, but they would be on Craigslist in minutes...so I'm not a chronic defender of the roundel.

However, facts is facts. Aside from simple things like oil and fluid changes there are really only two maintenance items to compare: valve adjustment and TB synch. And in those two categories the BMW (at least my oilhead '04 R1150GS) was VASTLY simpler and easier to work on than the Wee.

There are a lot of disadvantages to BMW ownership IMHO but routine maintenance is definitely not one of them. Unless someone has owned and worked on a BMW they should not make this ill-informed claim.

·
Registered
524 Posts
First let me say that I wouldn't trade my '07 Wee for TWO BMWs...well, yes I would, but they would be on Craigslist in minutes...so I'm not a chronic defender of the roundel.

However, facts is facts. Aside from simple things like oil and fluid changes there are really only two maintenance items to compare: valve adjustment and TB synch. And in those two categories the BMW (at least my oilhead '04 R1150GS) was VASTLY simpler and easier to work on than the Wee.

There are a lot of disadvantages to BMW ownership IMHO but routine maintenance is definitely not one of them. Unless someone has owned and worked on a BMW they should not make this ill-informed claim.
Agreed...the routine maintenance is a breeze, as long as you do it yourself it is not bad, but when the dealer wants $450+ for a routine 6000 mile service, that hurts.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I wonder if anyone would care (dare?:mrgreen:) to report on how much they paid at a Suzuki dealership for valve adjustment and TB synch. I'm guessing that it could be even more than $650 based on the complexity of the jobs. I've seen references to valve CHECKS (not requiring adjustment) which were pretty pricey, although the procedure is 1) fairly easy to do; and 2) even easier to NOT do and report all are in spec.

Without question, though, BMW parts are hideously expensive even if you do your own work. I'll be a "Wee Laddie" for life.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Was in the same situation about 6 months ago. Wanted a bike that I could ride fire roads, back roads, etc (no true dirt riding).
Have owned BMW, K100 etc (but no GS models), DR 650, XR 400, KTM LC 640 etc.
Had some cash and had recently retired and wanted an adventure bike to add to my FJR and DRZ400SM. Researched for about 2 months. Checked prices, looked at a lot of bikes etc.
Came down that I found a 09 VStrom DL650 completely farkled and I mean farkled, (GPS and mount, bash plate, adjustable windshield, luggage etc etc.)
With less that 3000 miles and looked brand new for less than $5500.
Could not find any 1150, 1200 or 800 GS bikes that even came close in condition, price, mileage for anything close to $9000.
Love the Vstrom and know I can sell it quickly if I want to change bikes in the future.
The DL 650 is a great bike for my use and fun to ride. I am a big guy 6'3" and 235 lbs and love the comfort of the DL 650 and has enough power for my uses.
If I want rocket power I ride the FJR.
Good Luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts