StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 1050
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy VS Enthusiasts,
I've had this 1050 for a couple months now (3k kilometers) & love the bike; however, the ticking & light knocking is driving me nuts. Worse then most of my Harley'.
Coming out of breakin I've been running it harder & in hotter temps, which is when it occurs. I'm in Thailand where it's plenty hot & no dealers around. Startup & cool temps I only hear the cam chains (no worries). I've even changed the oil/filter again since 1st service from 10w40 to a 10w50 (Valvoline VR1 SN MA-2 full synthetic) to no avail. I also ruled out exhaust leaks & any engine contact throughout the bike. Engine temp never goes any higher then 3 bars & coolant level is good.
Yesterday I took the side covers off, ran the bike to full operating temp, parked idleing until the fan started, took the videos and went to work with my stethoscope. It was hard to tell but the ticking (more of & faster) & light knocking (slower) seem more prominent around the top end/cams area.
I also made 3 short videos to compare my statement with. Turn your sound up, it's harder to hear in these videos vs the originals. Please review & let me know if I've become obsessed over nothing or have something that may need attention. Thanks in advance!
video 20220802 064542
video 20220802 064341

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
I would have to listen to another 1050 to say that it is not normal, and I have never seen one in the wild.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,802 Posts
Ticking noises up top sound normal to me. There is a hollow knocking sound, not bad, coming from the lower engine. That is Idle Hammer. Does no harm at all. Worse in hot weather and when engine has been run harder. Goes away as soon as rpm's increase or goes under load. Pulling the clutch lever in will sometimes soften that, but it is NOT clutch related. That simply changes the load on it.
Harley engines are quieter. They have a hydraulic valvetrain and no cam chains. Most have no mufflers....
DL 1000-1050 engines are by no measure a "Quiet" engine. But they have been proven to run over 400,000 miles with no engine tear down. Try that with a Harley!

·
Registered
2022 1050
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ticking noises up top sound normal to me. There is a hollow knocking sound, not bad, coming from the lower engine. That is Idle Hammer. Does no harm at all. Worse in hot weather and when engine has been run harder. Goes away as soon as rpm's increase or goes under load. Pulling the clutch lever in will sometimes soften that, but it is NOT clutch related. That simply changes the load on it.
Harley engines are quieter. They have a hydraulic valvetrain and no cam chains. Most have no mufflers....
DL 1000-1050 engines are by no measure a "Quiet" engine. But they have been proven to run over 400,000 miles with no engine tear down. Try that with a Harley!
Good ear RealShelby & thanks! Idle hammer is one I've never heard of and now won't forget. I'll work on letting go of the sounds obsessions or learn to except as the norm.
Thing about Harley'; almost every one I've owned I tore into long, long before any failures. Always chasing that bit more of power & just a little suspension. I still love that sound & torque but most likely won't own one again. The Vstrom has freed me.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
1,189 Posts
Just hearing slight idle hammer and valve lash. Nothing to be worried about there imho. On the idle hammer my 2016 is much louder and has been for 25,000+ kms.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good ear RealShelby & thanks! Idle hammer is one I've never heard of and now won't forget. I'll work on letting go of the sounds obsessions or learn to except as the norm.
Thing about Harley'; almost every one I've owned I tore into long, long before any failures. Always chasing that bit more of power & just a little suspension. I still love that sound & torque but most likely won't own one again. The Vstrom has freed me.
I too have to learn not to obsess over every ping and tick that comes out of my 1050. I have a similar sound coming out of mine, but it's only at cold temps and at idle. So not quite the same as yours. I have a video of it here

·
Vendor
7,016 Posts
Has it always sounded this way since new? Or did something change?

The reason I asked is my 2014 DL1000 developed what I believe to be "idle hammer." It just started for no apparent reason at a stop light and lasted about five minutes worth of riding. Then again for no apparent reason stopped and has never come back again. Certainly was not "normal."

But like everybody else above your bike sounds like a normal noisy V-Strom.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
1,189 Posts
I had no idle hammer prior to the first oil change. Then after the change it suddenly appeared. If I hadn't read about it on here I might have been alarmed, but the threads on the subject helped and I quickly learned to ignore it. It comes and goes. Sometimes noticeable and sometimes not.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Try that with a Harley!
Most Harley problems start with the owner, first thing they do is change the exhaust, re map it, Harley spends millions of dollars in research and development and then the owner buys some snap on tools. Don’t hate the bike, point your finger at the real problem.

To OP, sounds normal to me, but then I don’t own any snap on tools.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts