StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Stromtroopers. This site has been instrumental to my ownership of a 2004 DL-650 from purchasing through all the maintenance and farkling it has needed so far. So I wanted to post on here the details of my trip across the country. I set out on the morning of Friday June 23 from Phoenix, Arizona and tonight I am in a hotel in Sayre, Oklahoma. Along the way I am planning to mostly camp, but I was delayed by a number of problems today so I opted for a hotel. The rest of my route takes me up to Wisconsin through St. Louis and Mark Twain National Forest and then around the lakes up to Lake Chaplain in Upstate New York. I am doing this trip as a component of my honors thesis as a senior at Arizona State University so I have a Go Pro camera mounted to the bike in a time lapse capacity. So far I have a pretty awesome record of the incredible places along the route - both from the bike's perspective and mine - and I plan on putting everything together once the first leg of the trip is completed and posting it on here. I will also post my GPS tracks of the trip, they will highlight most of the notable features of Route 66 and should correspond closely with my time lapse video record.

Photos and videos will be up soon. For now here are my planned maps of the trips.

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5

These maps are pretty approximate, especially when it comes to where I stay each night - that depends more on my butt than any plan. But if anyone wants to take a ride or has advice to offer please let me know.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Here are some of the photos I have taken so far, just with my regular camera, not the time lapse one. The pictures document the trip from Phoenix through Petrified Forest National Park up to Sante Fe and then through Shamrock Texas.

They also document the first time I put my Strom rubber side up. I was riding south of San Jon, New Mexico on a section of original Route 66 (with what's left of the original Portland Cement paving). About 1000 yards from where the original road ended in a modern one I hit a patch where the cement had completely washed out and been replaced by sand. I stayed up for about 100+ feet but eventually the sand got the better of me and down I went. I was pinned under the bike in the sand but fortunately I got my boot off and slipped my leg out from underneath, otherwise it would have been a warm wait for help.

· Registered
711 Posts
Great pics Born to Run. The scenery could be on the moon from where I'm from.

I'd say by the pannier stickers, that truck has been to a lot of places.

· Registered
460 Posts
.......I am doing this trip as a component of my honors thesis as a senior at Arizona State University so I have a Go Pro camera mounted to the bike in a time lapse capacity. So far I have a pretty awesome record of the incredible places along the route
I think I majored in the wrong subject at NAU for my masters..... or maybe, .....I just eat the wrong cereal for breakfast! Have a great ride... look forward to reading more..... and when you get back, come to Flagstaff for a ride to the Canyon with Heavy-H, abinaz and I.

· Registered
557 Posts
Cool photos! I can see some of the inspiration for the original cars movie (my son's current favorite). Glad you and the bike were okay in the spill and enjoy the rest of the trip!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.