StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up another bike (non-DL) this week. I was told that back in June it was taken the bike to a maintenance clinic and all the maintnenace was just done and up to spec..

Took the bike out yesterday and the valves seems a bit rattley. This morning with a cold motor I checked them. All were adjusted perfectly at .15 or .30 spec. The feeler gauges felt like peeling a piece of scotch tape off a pane of glass I mean perfect set. Problem was the heads would have needed turned 180 degrees for them to be right. Yep, the exhaust was at .15 and the intake was at .30mm.

I get it, it happens and why I don't care if the bike was just serviced I service it again so I know.​

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Was that a GS? Did the noisy engine reflect in what you paid? I take it you corrected the gaps before any exhaust valves got burned?

I like your font colour in this post. I can see it easily in the Dark mode I use. Thanks for changing it.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Trust......but verify👍, being entirely anal and all 😉.
Except for the initial 600mile dealer inspection, I did all the work on my RT.
We have a good local bike shop and I know the techs. However, all that being said, I just had new shoes put on the Wee and I still checked all torque values when I got it home.
On cars and on our trailer, I always take the time to check torque values on wheel lug nuts after any work on the wheels/tyres.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was that a GS? Did the noisy engine reflect in what you paid? I take it you corrected the gaps before any exhaust valves got burned?

I like your font colour in this post. I can see it easily in the Dark mode I use. Thanks for changing it.

Cheers,
Glenn

I used grey and will try to remember in the future.

Yes this was the 2006 GSA. No effect on effect on the price paid or the bike. Readjust and onto the next task.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tasks completed:
  • Valves checked/adjusted - check
  • Engine oil and filter - check
  • Transmission oil drain and refilled with 800cc's of 75W-140 - check
  • Rear drive oil drain and refill with 180'cc's og 75W-140 - check
  • Swingarm pulled pivot bearings inspected - check
  • Drive line cleaned, inspected and splines coated with Moly Paste 60 - check
  • Rear drive pivot needle bearing repacked with fresh grease - check
  • New tire installed - check
Tasks to be undertaken:
  • Brake flush/bleed
  • Finish detailing
  • Ride is around for a while
  • Post it f/s
  • Move onto #8

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
When I bought my 2007 Wee brand new, the dealer tried to talk me into an extended "service contract". I said, "Take a good look at the rear end of this bike as I ride away, because this is the last time you will ever see it." 13 years and 45,000 miles later, that is still true.

Reactions: Fox

·
Registered
553 Posts
When I bought my 2007 Wee brand new, the dealer tried to talk me into an extended "service contract". I said, "Take a good look at the rear end of this bike as I ride away, because this is the last time you will ever see it." 13 years and 45,000 miles later, that is still true.
No recalls?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No recalls?
I've bought several R1200S's (2005, 2005 & 2009) with open recalls on the rear wheel flange. The fellow I bought the 09 from handed me the recall letter dated years prior and said he never got it done because he torqued the rear wheel to spec.The rear wheel flange was in perfect working order so I couldn't argue it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've bought several R1200S's (2005, 2005 & 2009) with open recalls on the rear wheel flange. The fellow I bought the 09 from handed me the recall letter dated years prior and said he never got it done because he torqued the rear wheel to spec.The rear wheel flange was in perfect working order so I couldn't argue it.
The rear wheel flange on my ‘09 is also still open, as is the fuel pump recall. Local BMW dealer is a mess, says I need to leave the bike for a week. Eventually I’ll drive the three hours each way to MAX, at least they’ll do it in the same day.
This is the only me thing that bothers me about buying a brand without nearby (and decent) dealership. For warranty or recall work you’ll need to go to the dealer no matter what. I believe few people have been able to convince a dealer to just give them the part so they can do it themselves.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The local shop to me (40 miles) has been very helpful. Called them to give the VIN so they can confirm what recalls were open so they could order the parts and then was asked do you want to p/u the same day or next? Once I made that decision an appointment was made. No drama or dropping off the bike and leaving it for days/week.

Even as simply as the recalls are do you really want a ramshackle dealership that cannot even do the simplest scheduling task working on your bike?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts